Menu

Do the fake fireplaces heat a room well?

mommyoffive

My MIL lent us one. We used it for one season. It worked great, but raised our electric bill to horrifying levels. This was a few years back so they might be more energy efficient now, but we gave it back quickly. My favorite kind of electric heater is the kind that looks like a small radiator and is filled with oil that heats up. Works well, gets nice and warm and doesn't raise the electric bill too much.

• Like 4

I have fake gas ones. They work very well. I used it more when I lived in Northern California. In SD, it's rather pointless becasue we rarely get cold enough. My sister in Seattle area has gas ones, and she uses them often instead of running the heat throughout the entire house.

21 minutes ago, calbear said:

I have fake gas ones. They work very well. I used it more when I lived in Northern California. In SD, it's rather pointless becasue we rarely get cold enough. My sister in Seattle area has gas ones, and she uses them often instead of running the heat throughout the entire house.

At first, I thought you meant South Dakota when you said SD. And I was like, "wow - if South Dakota isn't cold enough, where is??"

But I'm guessing San Diego, not South Dakota, lol

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

My MIL lent us one. We used it for one season. It worked great, but raised our electric bill to horrifying levels. This was a few years back so they might be more energy efficient now, but we gave it back quickly. My favorite kind of electric heater is the kind that looks like a small radiator and is filled with oil that heats up. Works well, gets nice and warm and doesn't raise the electric bill too much.

So the one you like is not something you plug in?  I don't know what that type is.

46 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Same.  We now use the kind you linked in your post below.  We tried one of the fireplace type and had a $700+ electric bill!  That was painful.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

We had one of those for about 7 years.  It just died last winter.  It produces such a yummy, warm heat.  It's so much cosier than a regular space heater.  I need to replace it before it gets cold this year.  Having one of these in the TV room really lets us keep the thermostat lower overall.  

I've heard the best type if the oil-filled looks like a radiator.  dd's basement is cold even when it's not winter.  ds has moved his 'school room' into the basement (he works better away from his regular desk set-up), I should put that down as a christmas present for him.

If you mean the space heater kind, the size of the unit determines what size room it will heat. A fireplace style will cost more than an electric space heater without the fake fireplace. Either kind will be rather expensive to run.  Even though there is no flame, so I guess there would no concern about carbon monoxide, it is still necessary to keep flammable materials such as curtains away from the heater.

Our primary heat is wood stoves and natural gas wall heaters, but we supplement with electric heaters for rooms far from the stoves or when need some quick heat but don’t need a fire.

Edited by City Mouse