Menu

A 3 credit course is a FIVE credit course? What?

BlsdMama

Oops?

I registered for a 3 credit Latin course online.  I received a scholarship that almost covered the entire THREE credit course.

I need... wait for it - THREE credits to graduate.  

So, classes started a week and a half ago.  I fell behind the first week but I admit I wasn't too worried - it was a low level three credit class and I'd make it up.  Between the crazy with derecho cleanup, eight kids homeschooling, the up in the air classes with Covid, and AHG planning, I just needed to wind up some loose ends.

So.. this week I hit the assignments.  I know basic Latin, but this is a fair bit of work.  There are assignments for EVERY day - that's unlike a 3 credit class.  Worse, I didn't just lose points, some of these assignments are now locked and one quiz is locked!

Suggestions?

I have no doubt I could catch up this weekend.  I sent an email to my professor and I noticed he sent one to me - at virtually the same time, recommending I drop the course.
Frankly, I'm frustrated.  I got a scholarship and with that I registered for a THREE credit class.  He sent an email stating, "I noticed you registered for a 3 credit option.  This course is only offered as a 5 credit option, please change your registration." Wait - what? Then WHY did a 3 credit option even exist?  I do NOT want to pay for the extra 2 credits, I don't even care if I EARN the extra two credits (three to graduate, remember?!) but neither do I want to drop the class and be out the scholarship AND wait another semester to graduate.   My GPA is 3.5 at this institution - I'd like to not drop that either.

Does anyone see a resolution for this? Because he was online at the same time, we were able to exchange emails and arrange a Zoom meeting for tomorrow at noon.  I've also emailed my advisor hoping for some magical solution. 

Thoughts?

That sounds like a mess 😞  Do you need a three-hour elective, or a course that meets certain requirements?   Is this course in the department of your major, or is your advisor from a totally different area of campus?  

I would see if I could figure out how this course is usually offered--is it a 3 hour course with a 2-hour lab that can be taken as a five-hour credit?  Or, is it two-semesters of Latin packed into one semester.  Knowing that may help in discussing possibilities with the professor.  Perhaps he could allow you to do 60% of the course work for a three-credit hour grade; that might be able to be done without too much extra work for him.  I wonder if it is only you in this situation, or if the professor has a problem that because of someone else's administrative error he has additional students who are in your predicament.  

Does your school have a course number system that shows the number of credit hours?  Most schools number the course something  like 1301 where the "3" is the number of credit hours (or 1501 if it is five hours).  If so, and you can show your registration is for a 3 hour course, I would also contact the head of the department (or dean) in the area in which the Latin course is offered.  and explain the situation and ask what can be done.  The department chair may have another professor who usually teaches the course that would agree to an independent study for the course for a three-hour course--or if the course is not properly listed because of a departmental error, the department chair may have another course you can enroll in at this point and help you with that process. (Or the department chair may realize that the professor doesn't know what he is supposed to be teaching.)

Hope you get it worked out soon!

Did you hear anything? If he can't or won't do an independent study, I"d probably switch to a different class  with a lighter workload. 

If no other class works, and you can't do independent study, I'd probably stick with it. I'm assuming paying the difference is cheaper than paying for a 3 hour class with no scholarship in spring. 

It is interesting that this is a Latin class. My daughter wanted to take Latin for her foreign language her freshman year in college. It was her first semester so we did not want a huge hour load. She registered for Latin 1 ( a four hour class) at orientation the first weekend in June. Two weeks before class started in August she was told that she also needed to resister for Latin 2 since this was only taught as an accelerated version! So she would have had 8 hours of Latin that semester on top of Physics and Calculus and some other required classes. Why they waited that long to tell her and why the advisor did not know is beyond me. She ended up dropping Latin.

Praying this gets resolved.