Menu

PSAT and Junior year WWYD?

My son has done no standardized testing. I did intend to register him for an SAT test in the spring or early summer last year, just to practice, but COVID hit. 

This summer I gave him a "cold" practice SAT, imitating testing conditions to the extent we could, just to see how he did. I knew he would probably be a "good" test taker, but I didn't know what to expect.  He did really well. 

Now i regret that I didn't have him try a practice PSAT last fall, his sophomore year. 

We are not entirely sure whether this school year will be his junior or sophomore year. He may shift and do an extra "super senior" year. 

If I register him for a PSAT this fall, which may not happen or be available to us anyway here, as a junior, are we locking him into junior status? Could I still graduate him two years from that point? How much negative impact on scores would he likely have if that PSAT was his first ever standardized test?

I've been thinking of another idea. Perhaps we could just try for an SAT test this spring and, if he performs well enough that it seems like National Merit is possible for him, then register for the PSAT as a junior next year (locking him into an extra year, which I don't think will be the end of the world for him)? If it doesn't seem National Merit is possible, we could just skip that test altogether. 

WWYD? 

• Like 1

(1)   Especially if he qualifies as "Hispanic" within the College Board regulations, I strongly suggest that he take the PSAT in October of his Junior year. My DD qualified as a National Hispanic Scholar when she took the PSAT.    Hispanic or not,  I suggest he take it in October. 

(2) Before signing up with the College Board, he should get an email address that he will only use for college/university related email.

(3) Then, he should "opt in" to everything. Most of the emails he receives will be deleted, but there will be gems, from time to time.

(4) Sign up for an account with the college board

(5) He should study, free, on Khan Academy. They have a tie in with the College Board. Free... 

(6) If he will study, religiously, every day, for 25 minutes each day, he will improve his score. Even 10 minutes a day would be extremely helpful to him learning the material.

Good luck to him!

• Like 1

I definitely wouldn’t allow the PSAT test decide what grade he is in. My DD has a late-October 2004 birthdate and could also be either a Junior or Sophomore this year; most children born within a month of her in our state are Sophomores, but we’re considering her a Junior. She took the PSAT last year (we called her a Sophomore then) and will take it again this year if offered at the local school. She is a 95-99th percentile test-taker depending on the day, so it would be a stretch, but she could potentially hit the NM cut-off for our state. Regardless of her score, we’ll decide her grade/graduation year on much more global factors. I really don’t think anyone would know or care what grade we listed on her PSAT registration (unless she makes the cut-off).

4 hours ago, sbgrace said:

If I register him for a PSAT this fall...as a junior, are we locking him into junior status? Could I still graduate him two years from that point?

I've been thinking of another idea. Perhaps we could just try for an SAT test this spring and, if he performs well enough that it seems like National Merit is possible for him, then register for the PSAT as a junior next year (locking him into an extra year, which I don't think will be the end of the world for him)? If it doesn't seem National Merit is possible, we could just skip that test altogether.

Someone else will have to clarify, but I believe his spring SAT score, if high enough, could qualify him for the NM scholarship using their alternative process. I suspect many students will need to request this special consideration this year.

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 4

I am not sure, but there is something in the NM about completing HS in 3 years, going to college as a freshman (like the year after you tested),  and still being eligible.  I've been reading a lot on their website this week- I think my DD might have made it- maybe?  She's a Senior this year and this is the longest,  most drawn out scholarship I know of!  If she made semifinalist,  then its 5-6 more months of waiting to see if shes a finalist.   

23 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I am not sure, but there is something in the NM about completing HS in 3 years, going to college as a freshman (like the year after you tested),  and still being eligible.  I've been reading a lot on their website this week- I think my DD might have made it- maybe?  She's a Senior this year and this is the longest,  most drawn out scholarship I know of!  If she made semifinalist,  then its 5-6 more months of waiting to see if shes a finalist.   

As long as she fills out all the paperwork correctly, submits a SAT/ACT that is decent, and doesn't have "bad grades", she should be good. If you struggle with the paperwork process, ask here. It has been a couple years for me, but there are usually others who are going through the process at the same time. It helped me to have a paperwork buddy. I'll answer any questions I can.

16 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

If he takes it this year and might take it again next year, he should sign up as a sophomore this year. If I understand correctly, having two junior years could disqualify him.

Not exactly. If they end up doing high school in 5 years, the big thing is they have to have a qualifying score two years instead of just the once. Basically, he has to qualify both yr 3 & 4 of the 5 yr plan.

• Like 1

But who even knows it was his junior year? In cases where I've known homeschoolers who reclassified, they didn't do high school in 5 years, they just reclassified all the grades and ditched the 8th grade credits (except for things like algebra).

Not that I think he should.

He's not going to be the only one unable to access the test. I'd keep an eye on the whole thing.

• Like 1

It says this on the competition page: "

• Students who plan to spend five years in grades 9 through 12 before entering college full time can participate in the National Merit Scholarship Program if they take the PSAT/NMSQT in the third year of high school and again in the fourth year. These students’ Selection Index scores will not be eligible for the program until a written request for entry to the competition is approved by NMSC. The request should include the student's name, high school name and location, year the student began high school, year the student will complete high school, and a brief explanation of the student’s educational pattern.

NMSC will use the student’s Selection Index score from the PSAT/NMSQT taken in the student’s third year of grades 9 through 12 to determine the expected level of recognition. In order to be recognized in the fifth (final) year of high school, the student must take the PSAT/NMSQT again in the fourth year and earn a qualifying Selection Index score at or above the level achieved on the third year test. The level of recognition a student receives cannot exceed the level earned on the qualifying test taken during the student’s third year in grades 9 through 12, the year in which all other competitors are considered.

Note: Because a student can participate (and be considered for a scholarship) in only one specific competition year, the year in which the student takes the PSAT/NMSQT to enter the competition is very important. If there is a question about whether a student can participate in the National Merit Scholarship Program because his or her educational plans do not fit one of the preceding descriptions, or for any other reason, contact NMSC immediately."

It would probably be worth calling and clarifying.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RootAnn said:

As long as she fills out all the paperwork correctly, submits a SAT/ACT that is decent, and doesn't have "bad grades", she should be good. If you struggle with the paperwork process, ask here. It has been a couple years for me, but there are usually others who are going through the process at the same time. It helped me to have a paperwork buddy. I'll answer any questions I can.

Thank you!  We got our package in the mail,  so shes official!

• Like 1