Menu

Plug for Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix

Terabith

I agree!  Make sure to give it more than just the first episode.  I really don’t understand why Netflix has to start so many shows with unnecessary raunchiness.  It’s not terrible, and I am not a prude, but I did not care for the first episode.  We stayed with it because ds said we would like it.  Now we do. 

• Like 1

We’ve been watching this. It has a fair amount of swearing- which I have only noticed because my 6 year old will run in from another room, every. Single. Time. There is a swear word yelling “You shouldn’t watch something with swear words!” “Didn’t you hear that?!? Why are you watching that?” This is going to have to be a show for after he’s asleep. He even catches it when the word is in the background music- not even in the script! It seems to be his gift.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hoggirl said:

I agree!  Make sure to give it more than just the first episode.  I really don’t understand why Netflix has to start so many shows with unnecessary raunchiness.  It’s not terrible, and I am not a prude, but I did not care for the first episode.  We stayed with it because ds said we would like it.  Now we do. 

I have four teens, so this show is something they could be drawn toward, though they haven't mentioned it yet. But I read an article, in which the creator talks about sexuality and Christianity being main themes of the show, with a deliberate focus on challenging traditional mores. Reading the article was enough for me to cross it off the list for my family, because it sounded to me as if it's going to be a constant focus. Others may disagree about the appropriateness of this kind of content, of course, but I wanted to mention it, for those who might be unaware. We are actually watching Friends with my teens currently, so we are not prudish. But the combination of religion and sexuality in this show put it in a different category for me.

The premise does sound fun, though.

Here is the article.

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/review-teenage-bounty-hunters-on-netflix/

• Like 2

Christianity and sex are definitely main themes in the show.  Both teenage girls lose their virginity (one in the first ten minutes of the first episode).  And we're Episcopalians, so while we definitely would prefer for our kids to wait until they're married to have sex, we do have different values towards things like LGBT issues and masturbation than a lot of other denominations.  (And both of those things are dealt with.)  It has actually been a really good show for us to watch with our teens, because it has led us to talk a lot about things like the importance of communication and honesty, what makes a good relationship, and whether or not it's a sin if you accidentally set your Bible on fire.  The second daughter's loss of her virginity, while not married, actually was the sweetest and I think best portrayal of that "event" that I've ever seen on a tv show or movie.  And the whole thing is just absolutely hilarious and often incredibly sweet.  

I have a kid who doesn't like background music, so we actually keep the volume super low and use subtitles, which might help with the six year old and bad words.  It's DEFINITELY not a show for little kids, and there's lots of sex and violence and profanity, but it's chock full of teachable moments for contemporary issues.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I have four teens, so this show is something they could be drawn toward, though they haven't mentioned it yet. But I read an article, in which the creator talks about sexuality and Christianity being main themes of the show, with a deliberate focus on challenging traditional mores. Reading the article was enough for me to cross it off the list for my family, because it sounded to me as if it's going to be a constant focus. Others may disagree about the appropriateness of this kind of content, of course, but I wanted to mention it, for those who might be unaware. We are actually watching Friends with my teens currently, so we are not prudish. But the combination of religion and sexuality in this show put it in a different category for me.

The premise does sound fun, though.

Here is the article.

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/review-teenage-bounty-hunters-on-netflix/

I definitely understand that.  Just wanted to add my ds has been out of college for two years.  I would definitely not have wanted to have seen that first episode with a teen/high school student. 

• Like 1