Menu

First time prescription eyeglasses aka give yourself a mental health day by breaking from Co19 worries

sheryl

I actually did have a first pair of prescription eyeglasses into my 50's that were readers only and they never worked well, got bent and so I threw them out ($15 or so).   That must've been an awesome plan - $15.

DH finished his 2 year contract assignment and one of the leading institutions hired him full time so now he is an "fte" (full time employee, again!).  Our insurance coverage started Aug 1.  We've added vision "just" for this calendar year to have the benefit of vision coverage to purchase my new glasses.   As a side note, we won't carry vision next year but will alternate years to save a bit on monthly premiums.  DH and I have our annual vision appts Oct, Nov or Dec that will use our 2020 coverage, not covered in 2021 and pick up again in 2022 at which time we'll make vision appts Jan or Feb 2022.  The lag time between annual check ups will be just more than a year.  

My question - what features do you have on your prescription eyewear?

I can get progressives but dh and the young man say I don't need them because I could easily read the numbers on a building across the parking lot from us. Maybe the distance of a football field.  But, it's a sunny day here in Charlotte.  Darker and rainy, idk how easy it would be for me.

Transitions - this seems like a no-brainer to me.  Is it worth the cost?  Does the transition really work?  Well?

Anti glare - again, does it really work and well?

What are the other add ons?

Thanks!

I was going to go plastic and my fav colors of a tortoise pattern in browns, blues or greens, burgundy, amber.   I decided for a more neutral look and will go wire top only in a gun metal "finish" but brown color (think that's right).   

Edited by sheryl

Anti glare is absolutely worth it.  I’ve never been able to get used to bifocals.  I’m ridiculously nearsighted but have normal close vision.  I just take them off to read.  I’d be tempted to get separate pairs for the two functions if needed.  I don’t like transitions, but some people do.  I just keep a pair of over glasses sunglasses in the car. They look dorky, but I am pretty dorky so...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Anti glare is absolutely worth it.  I’ve never been able to get used to bifocals.  I’m ridiculously nearsighted but have normal close vision.  I just take them off to read.  I’d be tempted to get separate pairs for the two functions if needed.  I don’t like transitions, but some people do.  I just keep a pair of over glasses sunglasses in the car. They look dorky, but I am pretty dorky so...

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Yes to anti-glare.

No to transitions (at least I personally hated them).

No to progressives UNTIL you actually need them, then they are nice (once you get used to them).

When trying some on, take note of whether or not you like nose rest pieces, which hold the lens a wee bit further from you eyeballs. I have long eyelashes and these are a must for me, learned that the hard way after buying a pricey pair of progressives without that feature.

These answers are based on my personal experience, so you certainly may feel differently. 

Thanks!

I'm surprised.   I thought transitions might have been more popular.   What do you both not like about them.   (not referring to extra cost)

You definitely want anti-glare.

I love my progressive bifocals, but I need them.

This is my first pair of transition lenses. I think I like them, although sometimes I'm not sure. My perception is that they darken more in the winter than in the summer, which is kind of weird. My optometrist is a HUGE fan because she says they provide 24/7 protection from damaging sun rays. Mine are good enough that I almost never wish I had sunglasses. So I'll probably stick with transition lenses from now on.

• Like 1

My list of things I get on mine: high index (thinner material, to avoid the coke bottle effect), transitions, progressives, anti-scratch, anti-glare.

Personally, I *love* my transitions.  So convenient.

Progressives take some getting used to, but are great if you can't read with your distance prescription. (I spent years carrying reading glasses with me at all times because my eyes hurt within seconds if I tried to read or do any close-up work, even just reading a label at the store.) But if you don't need bifocals, you don't need progressives.  

Don't skimp on the anti-scratch coating.  My old (expensive) pair was scratch-free for over a decade; my new (unexpectedly cheaper) pair was scratched within a few months, and is now, 2 yrs in, more scratches than clear.  I was told I didn't need extra scratch protection, because something else I was getting (transitions, iirc) had it built in.  Yeah, no - was not remotely enough.    

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 4

I like my transitions lenses, but my kids have informed me that they're not cool.  I've had rx sunglasses before, but I never remembered to bring them along and when I did I didn't like carrying around the extra pair of glasses.  Without transitions lenses I just go without sunglasses and that's not good for my eyes.  They transition really quickly so that's not really a factor like it was in the past.

They DO have drawbacks.  They don't work in the car because the windshield blocks the uv rays.  I have extra sunglasses in the car that go over my glasses.  My kids have informed me that these are even less cool than my transition lenses.  Also, sometimes if it's a cloudy day I'd rather my lenses not transition, but they do it anyway.  I'm sure it's healthier, but I think next time I'll get two pair and have one not transition.  

I got anti-glare once many moons ago and it was terrible when it started to break down.  I'm sure it's better now, but I've never risked it again.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Also, once they darken, it takes a long time for them to return to normal, so going inside I’d have to take them off anyway. I’m sure the technology has improved, but I personally don’t care to have another pair of them. 

I've had them since the 90s, and, although the delay never bothered me, they definitely change faster now.  Maybe I'm just used to it, but they are invisible to me, just like they are supposed to be.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 3

We've found even with vision insurance it has always been much cheaper to buy glasses online. Our vision insurance now allows us to purchase them through a couple of online sites, thus allowing us to access the yearly benefit for glasses (we've always used it for contacts)

• Like 1

I don't care for transitions so what I did one year though was to get glasses corrected for distance only for driving. I got the presription tinted, anti-glare lenses done for a pair of Ray-Bans. These have been awesome! Another year, I did glasses corrected for readng that filters blue light for computer work as well. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, forty-two said:

My list of things I get on mine: high index (thinner material, to avoid the coke bottle effect), transitions, progressives, anti-scratch, anti-glare.

Personally, I *love* my transitions.  So convenient.

Progressives take some getting used to, but are great if you can't read with your distance prescription. (I spent years carrying reading glasses with me at all times because my eyes hurt within seconds if I tried to read or do any close-up work, even just reading a label at the store.) But if you don't need bifocals, you don't need progressives.  

Don't skimp on the anti-scratch coating.  My old (expensive) pair was scratch-free for over a decade; my new (unexpectedly cheaper) pair was scratched within a few months, and is now, 2 yrs in, more scratches than clear.  I was told I didn't need extra scratch protection, because something else I was getting (transitions, iirc) had it built in.  Yeah, no - was not remotely enough.    

Yes, thanks.  Forgot about that!

34 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I like my transitions lenses, but my kids have informed me that they're not cool.  I've had rx sunglasses before, but I never remembered to bring them along and when I did I didn't like carrying around the extra pair of glasses.  Without transitions lenses I just go without sunglasses and that's not good for my eyes.  They transition really quickly so that's not really a factor like it was in the past.

They DO have drawbacks.  They don't work in the car because the windshield blocks the uv rays.  I have extra sunglasses in the car that go over my glasses.  My kids have informed me that these are even less cool than my transition lenses.  Also, sometimes if it's a cloudy day I'd rather my lenses not transition, but they do it anyway.  I'm sure it's healthier, but I think next time I'll get two pair and have one not transition.  

I got anti-glare once many moons ago and it was terrible when it started to break down.  I'm sure it's better now, but I've never risked it again.

LOL!   Well, I don't care - just want some neutral yet nice on Sheryl-looking glasses!  😀

35 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

See, I forgot about the windshield blocking rays.   I've heard transitions don't work well in cars.

Anyone else care to chime in?

12 minutes ago, Bambam said:

We've found even with vision insurance it has always been much cheaper to buy glasses online. Our vision insurance now allows us to purchase them through a couple of online sites, thus allowing us to access the yearly benefit for glasses (we've always used it for contacts)

Yes, we look local and many times match style, etc. online.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, calbear said:

I don't care for transitions what I did one year though was to get glasses corrected for distance only for driving, but I got the presription tinted, anti-glare lenses done for a pair of Ray-Bans. These have been awesome! Another year, I did glasses corrected for readng that filters blue light for computer work as well. 

Thanks for that!

I am on the not cool category and have the clip on sunglasses from Walmart.   I use them on an old pair of my prescription glasses and they work great but if I step inside a minute I can take the sunglasses part off and still see.

I hate wearing glasses and almost never wear mine in the house.  I had Lasik 15 years ago so my distance vision is still ok and I can read without anything so I take them off as soon as I get in the house but wear them for driving and at work, etc.

I currently have plastic frames but find them heavier than my wire frames and will go back to wire with my next pair.

I have bifocals...with the line but they put them a tiny tad lower so they aren't as annoying as my first try at bifocals.

I buy a cheap back up pair at Walmart...like the$7 frames and cheapest lenses, etc.  Work great.   On line is also way cheaper than the eye doctor, esp the frames.   

• Like 1

So, I don't think transitions will work b/c I'm basically getting readers.  I won't be reading long distance or while I'm driving, etc.  😋

I'm sure the technology for transitions has improved.  I'll see what vision doctor says - if I need or would benefit from distance in lens and, if so, with distance consider transition as I'd use them for driving.  But, I'm not using readers for driving.  LOL!

5 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I am on the not cool category and have the clip on sunglasses from Walmart.   I use them on an old pair of my prescription glasses and they work great but if I step inside a minute I can take the sunglasses part off and still see.

I hate wearing glasses and almost never wear mine in the house.  I had Lasik 15 years ago so my distance vision is still ok and I can read without anything so I take them off as soon as I get in the house but wear them for driving and at work, etc.

I currently have plastic frames but find them heavier than my wire frames and will go back to wire with my next pair.

I have bifocals...with the line but they put them a tiny tad lower so they aren't as annoying as my first try at bifocals.

I buy a cheap back up pair at Walmart...like the$7 frames and cheapest lenses, etc.  Work great.   On line is also way cheaper than the eye doctor, esp the frames.   

OH, y'all are saying the transitions is an "old" look or "not current" fashion statement, right?   I like the idea of not having to carry 2.   Right now I grab my sunglasses.   IF I have distance needed then I'd need glasses and sunglasses.  IF readers are adequate then I'm grabbing my sunglasses.

If you are just getting reading glasses, you don’t really need all that other stuff. In fact, you could get an eye exam and then pick up readers without a prescription at most any Walmart, Target, grocery store, drug store. If you need a really high power for reading glasses, you might need them specially made, but most stores usually carry +3 or higher.

even if you don’t get glasses from the doctors office, it is still good to have a full eye exam every so often to monitor eye health.

i am very nearsighted and have been for a long time. I started to wear bifocals a few years ago. I do prefer the no-line bifocals just for vanity  , but that is a good enough reason for me. As others have stated, the transition lenses do not darken in the car (or not very much). I still needed sunglasses for driving even with the transition lenses. I have used the clip ones, but I prefer the plastic sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses. The optical place where I got my most recent glasses had a 2 for 1 special, so this time I got prescription sun glasses

I have gotten transition lenses for my kids not of driving age just so they don’t have to keep up with sunglasses. 

Edited by City Mouse