Menu

S/O of minimalist thread - Maximalism homeschooling

If you had all the space you wanted, and extra time to teach the subjects, what would you include? (Only academics, no buying of private islands allowed).

For me:

Spelling, typing, grammar, vocab, lots of reading, poetry, Latin, math, all the science, all the history, loads of podcasts, extra documentaries, art (not taught by me), music.

• Like 1

Oh, this sounds fun.

First, I'd have laboratories for all the sciences with all the relevant bells and whistles. Electron microscopes to actually look at atoms, for example.

We'd have as complete a library as humanly possible, our own personal Library of Alexandria. It would contain both fiction and non-fiction on pretty much every subject imaginable, including some archiac (like alchemy, for example, to show how that relates to things like modern chemistry). 

I'd also have music teachers for any instrument my daughter had an interest in. We'd also have personal trainers come in to help keep everyone in tip-top shape. I'd supplement the Historical European Martial Arts teaching I currently do with someone who is more competent at it.

We'd also bring in tutors for anything my daughter had an interest in learning. While I don't buy fully into some of the the ideas I've hear of called "child-directed" learning--if it were up to my daughter, she'd spend her learning time just learning what various TV characters were up to--I do like the idea of her having some agency in her education. Particularly as it relates to non-core subjects. That would include art, auto-mechanics, zoology, fashion design, anything at all, really.

I'm sure I'll have more in mind later.

• Like 2

A library essentially mimicking a homeschool bookstore including SL, BFB, AO etc. A sunroom about 20X50 completely windows on 3 sides, various types of seating and plants to be used as our music and art room, no expenses spared on instruments and supplies. Tutors for every instrument and language. Major emphasis on travel, everything from educational tours to lazy beach trips. Memberships to all zoos, museums etc. Special interest classes like indoor skydiving physics. A professional printer. Memberships to things like Hello Fresh for my oldest.

A HUGE library.  Just Huge.  Like Beauty and the Beast huge.   

Fully equipped science lab including vented hoods, Bunsen burners, flameproof lab tables, all the equipment.  

I like Slache's sunroom idea.  

A full equipped gym including mats, kickboxing bags, yoga equipment, treadmills, bikes, weights, ellipticals, etc.

• Like 2

I would want floor to ceiling bookshelves with beautiful craftsmanship and attached rolling ladder.  Matching cabinets for storing our endless supplies of quality paper, pencils, and art supplies.  A library full of every book I have ever wanted to purchase.

Then, I'd want a maid to clean, a chef to cook, a laundress to do the laundry, and personal shopper to run all of our errands.

I'm pretty content with everything else, so I'd be happy there.  (Though traveling would be awesome, it is just too darn depressing to think about right now with our trip in March canceled.)

• Like 1

Spanish lab with movies and audiobooks with the hard copy books to go with them and an in-house native speaker to go with it

Dedicated science lab room with all the things for demonstrations in coordinated bins or tubs and not shoved haphazardly out of the way in a corner room

All.the.books. so I never have to go to the library or order on Amazon again. Belle would envy my library 🙂

A gym with exercise equipment and a ballet mirror and barre and a basketball and volleyball court and a stable for horse riding lessons

Art history and music history with full size reproductions for us to look at and examine

All the history documentaries

Lots of instruments and an in house instructor for each

For a lot of this, I'm going to need different kids and DH to go along with it 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/10/2020 at 1:23 PM, mms said:

Y’all are making me tired just thinking about it.

I think one of the useful things I’ve learned from doing Hunter’s challenges over the years is that I actually could give my children the sort of education I desire for them, but I am limited by myself. If I were to maximize anything, I would like to up:

1) My patience levels

2) My interpersonal energy

3) My commitment to consistency

4) My creative thinking abilities

5) My ability to see things from my children’s perspective

6) My organization skills

Probably a few other character issues that I can’t think of right now.

I want all of this, plus about 12 extra hours every day so I can read, daydream, idle around, etc, but still have plenty of time left over for everything I'm really supposed to be doing!