Menu

College online?

Janeway

Son has told us that his main reason for not wanting to go off to college is worries about living on campus and such.  He told us he would be okay with it being online. I kind of figured it would be a big pain to arrange online college now, community college or whatever. Then, I received an email from a college he had been accepted to, one that has a well ranked computer science program, letting us know his admission is still good and he can be 100% online this fall, not have to move to campus. So I checked with the other college he loved and they said the same thing. I suspect these schools are losing a lot of students so they are offering this and reaching out to students who did not accept. 

Son came to me excited about this and says THIS is what he wants. He wants to be in school, but not OFF at school. Any opinions? He has never struggled academically at all, all his struggles have been social.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Janeway said:

He told us he would be okay with it being online.

Isn't this the same person who, just a few months ago, said that he wanted nothing to do with any aspect of a course being online?

Edited by EKS
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Son has told us that his main reason for not wanting to go off to college is worries about living on campus and such.  He told us he would be okay with it being online. I kind of figured it would be a big pain to arrange online college now, community college or whatever. Then, I received an email from a college he had been accepted to, one that has a well ranked computer science program, letting us know his admission is still good and he can be 100% online this fall, not have to move to campus. So I checked with the other college he loved and they said the same thing. I suspect these schools are losing a lot of students so they are offering this and reaching out to students who did not accept. 

Son came to me excited about this and says THIS is what he wants. He wants to be in school, but not OFF at school. Any opinions? He has never struggled academically at all, all his struggles have been social.

I haven't posted in any of your threads on this, but I've read some of it.  This might actually be a good way to get him to ease in.  It is a bit concerning that he's been anti-online before, but this is not a semester I'd push even a neurotypical kid to go away.  I'd say pick the school you think is the best fit and have him sign up for an online semester, maybe with only 4 classes.  He can always switch to in-person if it becomes available in future semesters, or transfer the credits if he decides to switch schools... it does keep some forward momentum, and you'd still be saving money on dorm/meal plan, yes?

All three of my kids are in college, and all three of them are doing 100% online this year, even though there are some hybrid options (or there were - one of the schools just told everyone they were doing a 180 on kids living on campus, and now they're only taking kids with no other options).  None of them normally prefer online - very much the opposite - but in the current situation, they want nothing to do with in-person classes and living on campus.  

• Like 5

I do think it is important to consider if the school returns to seated classes next semester or next year, if he wills still want to attend. That said, this might be just the opportunity he needs to ease in, get to know a few students and professors a little, hoping that when seated classes resume, he will be more comfortable and willing to attend.

If he is sure he doesn't want to go in person next semester or next year, then be sure that the program he is part of will have an online option long term. Most CC's offer online programs and continue enrollment right up until classes start, so being late to the party is no problem. Many other U's have a good selection of online programs as well. 

You are right, for many colleges enrollment is down this fall so there are probably more possibilities open at this point than there would normally be. 

• Like 3

I agree with the above posters. If he is excited to do something I say let him but definitly recognize that some of these may move to in person and make sure he thoroughly understands that. 

It could be a segway to get him excited about something that will encourage him to attend later. Meanwhile, emailing and talking to teachers and advisors could be the soft skills he works on this year. 

I really think social things will be extra hard this year on campus. My son could have went and chose not to because he recognized that. 

I think it could be ok if you have the financial flexibility to back track if it doesn’t work out and he thinks he’d like to attend live possibly as soon as spring.  I’d be surprised if he couldn’t take CC classes somewhere online this fall though which may give more flexibility going on.   You have posted about so much flip flopping and it’s a difficult time to launch to college.   

@Janeway I was curious what options Austin College might have for your DS so I went to their web site and found my way to this URL:  https://www.austincollege.edu/campus-life/health-services/monitoring-the-coronavirus/

which includes the following information:

"The campus will be open, sanitized, and safe for all students. Students may opt to learn remotely for Fall Term 2020 semester by attending synchronous remote classes.

• Students may opt to learn fully synchronously remote for the Fall Term 2020, either off campus or on campus, by filling out this Learning Commitment Form.
  • If you need to make a change to a previously submitted Learning Commitment Form, please complete the Change Learning Preference Form."

In general, as I think about your DS I suspect this might be an extremely good option for him. Online courses from Austin College.

Also, I Googled, curious about whether there is Group Therapy for people with ASD, and wonder if that might help him with his Social issues?

When I was on that web page, there were also mentions of the possibility of getting Social Security Disability benefits, which would be a worst-case possibility.

Good luck to your DS!