Menu

PSAT scores received yesterday & Q about My College QuickStart

We got my dd's PSAT scores yesterday - hooray, she did very well! Has anyone else received them?

We tried to access My College QuickStart, but it wasn't working yet for 2008 test takers. The login screen said the results will be available in mid-December. Does that mean that the career/college planning kit will not be available until then? For those who took the test in previous years, when was MCQ available?

Thanks!

GardenMom

We got my dd's PSAT scores yesterday - hooray, she did very well! ...

We tried to access My College QuickStart ...

No input on the QuickStart aspect of your question; however, I did want to send out congratulations to your daughter! Yay!

Regards,

Kareni

When my ds took the PSAT the scores were sent directly to us. We did not get them from the school. There is a week or two range of scores being received, so if you have not received yours yet, I wouldn't worry. One family I know received scores for one student, and not for the other yet. The 11th grader got hers, the 9th grader -- not yet. So perhaps they go out in batches by grade-taken, in addition to geographic batches?

Don't worry if you haven't gotten yours yet, though. This is typical. :-) Hope all the scores are joys for everyone!!:grouphug:

~Brigid

My kids received their scores a day apart, even though they took them at the same school etc.

Thankfully for our sanity we received the junior's score first and then the sophomore's. We would have absolutely popped if we had received the younger one's score first!

May all your mailboxes be full with test scores today!

My kids received their scores a day apart, even though they took them at the same school etc.

Thankfully for our sanity we received the junior's score first and then the sophomore's. We would have absolutely popped if we had received the younger one's score first!

May all your mailboxes be full with test scores today!

Funny!! :) Nothing here yet. Last year it was mid- December so I'm trying to ignore the fact others have arrived.:001_huh:

We got the scores for our 11th grader yesterday, but not for the 9th grader. My husband commented that he was sooo glad the 11th graders scores had come first. Our son was certain that he did worse this year and he was right on our states border cutoff last year. He was wrong - he did 10 points better! We were all quite excited. Maybe they do the 11th graders scores first. I know when he was a sophomere last year we got them later.

I'm in St. Louis county, MO too! And you are right, the results aren't distributed geographically. The are sent out in "batches" that don't seem to be related to anything that I know of. My younger dd got hers on the 13th 2 years ago. We then had to wait until the 18th to get my older dd's score sheet.

Because we were still waiting and because that was older dd's junior year I called College Board on about the 15th or so that year. They said that her score was part of "batch E" or "batch 5" or something.

Maybe I know you from some math competitions or other homeschool activities in the area, Trillium?

(Note that Michelle in MO will have a different experience because her dc are in a school now and those score reports will go out whenever the school decides to hand them out. It isn't always as soon as the school receives them either.)

Edited by Jan in MO

We are in Maine and still haven't received ds's test scores. I think I'm more anxious to receive them then he is.

He takes one class at the high school (ROTC) but he said he wrote down our state home school code so I'm hoping we get them in the mail. The high school said last year they got the scores right before Christmas break and didn't pass them out unitl after the break. Ugh!

it was exciting for us - Yea! :party:This is the year that counts for us and my daughter did very well, exceeded her goals. Praise God.

We're in SC.

And, for those discussing whether the school gets the scores, etc.; it might be dependent on whatever the test proctors had them do - whether they had them test under the school or as a homeschooler.

I thought that if you used the homeschool code, your scores would automatically be mailed straight to your home, not the school or your accountability organization. I know that is the case with us.

If your students were directed to use the school's code, then their scores actually end up "going in with" that school's stats, I think, and then might go to the school first. If your child was instructed to use the homeschool code, then, of course that ends up affecting homeschool stats.

Anyway, hope some of that makes sense.

Since I feel like I contributed to the confusion I'm going to try to unconfuse this thread.

Homeschoolers that properly used the PSAT homeschool code for their state will receive their PSAT results in their home mail.

Students that attend a public or private high school that use their school's PSAT code will receive their PSAT results from their school.

My original reply was directed to Michelle only since her dc attend a school now.

Three cheers for all our wonderful dc that gave these tests their best. :)

I understood what you meant! Last year, when we were still homeschooling, we made sure to use the homeschool code. This year I assumed the school would be getting the scores, but I called, just to make sure. The guidance counselor said she'd be going over the scores with the kids this week and sending the test results back home.

Hurray!

school if she filled in the homeschool code for your state. If she filled in the public school code, then her scores would go to the school.

It would appear that juniors get their PSAT scores first, because it seems like most of the juniors on the board have received theirs. I remember my dd, who was a sophomore last year, getting her scores around December 11th last year.

HTH!

Very good scores, but probably not National Merit potential (unless he wants it *really* badly)

if a sophomore's score is within reach of NM level by working hard for his junior year test? My son scored 28 points lower than the last cutoff for our state. I'm wondering if studying combined with the extra year of school would bring him close, or if it's too much of a long shot to work that hard for... any advice?

TIA

I, too, have heard that 10 points is about what you get from another year. But you could probably add a few more for some extra studying. My son was within about the same range as yours - I'm not going to do a lot of extra for NM. If he had been closer we would have altered our course schedule a bit, but now I think we will focus on getting the ACT scores up and taking some AP and some dual enrollment courses at our university.

if a sophomore's score is within reach of NM level by working hard for his junior year test? My son scored 28 points lower than the last cutoff for our state.

TIA

How does one know if you are within reach of National Merit level? How do you know what the cutoff for your state is?

Here's a link to the cut offs for the Class of 2009 and 2008. Just scroll down the page a bit. The cutoffs for the class of 2010 are not yet published.

http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html

HTH!

Mary

Thank You! My son was worried that his scores didn't make it. He was very happy to see he did( at least for 2009-we'll see for 2010) We are all happy.