Menu

U.S. Government Class

I am looking for lectures to use for U.S. government.  We have happily used the Yale Open Courses for other topics and are looking for something similar.  Currently I'm considering the Harvard lectures on EdX, but I'm not totally in love.

Any suggestions?  Videos?  Podcasts?  Online Courses?

We've been using the "Democracy in America" materials on the Annenberg Learner site. It is a bit dated (10 years old?), but the readings are great (we select a few to read each week), and the videos are good for discussion.

We've also been watching the Crash Course Government series - but Crash Course is only ever for reviewing topics learned elsewhere.

Here are some links I've saved:

Khan Academy has free government instruction with an AP focus.  

Hillsdale College has several short government-related courses.  Click on "politics."  

Hip Hughes has a lot of government-related video lectures which are both thought-provoking and entertaining.  Scroll down for government topics.  Be forewarned, he uses real video and audio clips from past eras to illustrate his points, and the speakers aren't always "politically correct" by today's standards.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caraway said:

This is what I'm currently considering.  Have you used this?

No- it was recommended to me by someone else. We're using the Outschool class and AC/DC packet in my signature, plus my dd has done parts of the Khan Academy course and lots of reading on her own.

Edited by MamaSprout

• 3 months later...

This just in... my mailbox. 😄

My dd said, "Please no screens for government." So I ordered this to take a look: https://www.ajspublications.com/our-federal-and-state-constitutions-worktext

and the TE: https://www.ajspublications.com/accompanying-materials

I have a .edu email address, so nobody questioned my purchase, but I did need to call them because I goofed up my first order and talked to a helpful human. I don't think homeschoolers will have a problem ordering TE materials, but they may reach out to make sure you are a homeschooler.

The book itself is 80 pages of pure nuts-and-bolts government. Just the facts. I don't detect any bias. Not a lot of critical thinking, either. It's two color and reminds me of the CLE Light Units. There are some project suggestions (Write a brief report on the two senators from your state) and "express your opinion"  questions. I happen to be in one of the states that has a state government and constitution option, which I like.

Dd has already done some mock government/ model UN stuff and regularly follows politics and current events, so she really just needed something extremely straight forward to round out a government credit, and I think this will be it.

HTH!

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1