Menu

What's with the ads?

I am looking for lectures to use for U.S. government.  We have happily used the Yale Open Courses for other topics and are looking for something similar.  Currently I'm considering the Harvard lectures on EdX, but I'm not totally in love.

Any suggestions?  Videos?  Podcasts?  Online Courses?

We've been using the "Democracy in America" materials on the Annenberg Learner site. It is a bit dated (10 years old?), but the readings are great (we select a few to read each week), and the videos are good for discussion.

We've also been watching the Crash Course Government series - but Crash Course is only ever for reviewing topics learned elsewhere.

Here are some links I've saved:

Khan Academy has free government instruction with an AP focus.  

Hillsdale College has several short government-related courses.  Click on "politics."  

Hip Hughes has a lot of government-related video lectures which are both thought-provoking and entertaining.  Scroll down for government topics.  Be forewarned, he uses real video and audio clips from past eras to illustrate his points, and the speakers aren't always "politically correct" by today's standards.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caraway said:

This is what I'm currently considering.  Have you used this?

No- it was recommended to me by someone else. We're using the Outschool class and AC/DC packet in my signature, plus my dd has done parts of the Khan Academy course and lots of reading on her own.

Edited by MamaSprout

Listening in, we have also loved the Yale lectures but there is nothing relevant there for Government. 

Edited by madteaparty

On 6/27/2020 at 6:36 AM, ScoutTN said:

Seconding the free Hillsdale lectures.  

Based on the exposure I had to Hillsdale for AP Econ this is not an option for us.

Edited by Caraway
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 6:44 PM, madteaparty said:

Listening in, we have also loved the Yale lectures but there is nothing relevant there for Government. 

We have loved the Yale lectures.  So much amazing content!

• Like 1