Menu

Quilt/Bkanket Storage

2squared

Northern ladies - where do you store your quilt and blanket collections? We have quilts on our beds and throw blankets by the couches. We do not have extra sheets to store. We wash and replace on beds the same day. 

We also have a collection of extra blankets and quilts that reside in a cedar chest. I want the cedar chest to go away, but I don’t have any good ideas for storing the extra quilts and blankets. Dh’s grandma blessed us with a lot of homemade quilts and now I’m stuck trying to figure out how to store them. I’m thinking storage tubs in the basement, but maybe others have a better idea? We do use the extras for sleepovers, picnics, and ball games. I also already keep lap blankets in the van. I need an old fashioned linen closet just for my quilts!

Dh is finishing an office for us, and maybe I could store the quilts in the new office closet? We need a place for dd’s prom dresses too. Hmmmmm....that might be a viable option. any other ideas?

Under my bed is 1 box for gift bag storage and 3 boxes for quilt/blankets. My kids keep their comforters in their closets for summer. I have a linen closet for sheets and towels. 

ps. Do your kids ever need to change sheets in the middle of the night? Around here there is always a bloody nose or illness or spilled water. 

I was so frustrated caring for a relative that only believed in one set of sheets. I don’t know if sheets were exorbitantly expensive back in her day. I’m sorry in today’s world of cheap fabric there was no need to be stressed about accidents or spills on the one set of sheets and then need to stay in the living room chair until the bed could be remade.

Most of the quilts and blankets we use for bedding are in the lower cabinets of a huge linen closet near the bedrooms. Some live on the couch in our bedroom because the kitten likes to make nests in them. 😻

Downstairs I have a stack of blankets on the couch and some inside the ottoman. We like to use them all year long. 

I have an inexpensive blanket bag I bought online to store blankets. It is huge!  LOL It is fabric and I put it in the back of my personal closet. I like them in a closet that is use all the time, so they don't collect odors like they seem to do in a closet that is always closed (ie my linen closet). The fabric bag allows air to move through them a bit too. I don't like to store blankets in plastic due to odors (if I do, I toss unscented drier sheets in there too).  Each person has an extra blanket (or 5 lol) in their closet to use if they get cold. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Acorn said:

Under my bed is 1 box for gift bag storage and 3 boxes for quilt/blankets. My kids keep their comforters in their closets for summer. I have a linen closet for sheets and towels. 

ps. Do your kids ever need to change sheets in the middle of the night? Around here there is always a bloody nose or illness or spilled water. 

I was so frustrated caring for a relative that only believed in one set of sheets. I don’t know if sheets were exorbitantly expensive back in her day. I’m sorry in today’s world of cheap fabric there was no need to be stressed about accidents or spills on the one set of sheets and then need to stay in the living room chair until the bed could be remade.

We don’t have middle of the night sheet issues, no bloody noses and no water in the bedroom. When we are sick, we take vomit buckets to bed with us. If someone missed their bucket, we would put the sick kid in our bed, throw the sheets in the laundry, and have a parent sleep in the sick kid bed on top of one of our many quilts. I can’t remember the last time that would have happened. My bedwetters have always slept through the night, and then we washed their sheets the next morning. I personally just don’t want to store sheets that we don’t need. I already have a ton of blankets and quilts!

Sounds like our new closet is the best option. Our other closets are taken already as nearly everyone shares a bedroom, and we don’t use dressers (two in use for seven people). Areas under the bed are used for storage since the closets are full of clothes. 

Thanks!

How about these Space Saver Bags?  They work pretty well for flattening and minimizing feather duvets.  I don't know if they would make your quilts much flatter, though. I paid significantly less a few years ago.  I'm just pasting this link in for convenience, but it looks like other retailers sell them: 

https://www.amazon.com/SpaceSaver-Premium-Reusable-Storage-Included/dp/B00X8KSKF6

Edited by vonbon
typo

Also, I've stored dyner / duvets in these Ikea Dimpa bags in the garage.  The bags keep the dust off, keep pests out, and I can get bedding out easily for guests, etc.  They can be easily rinsed with a hose and hung out to dry if they get dusty.  Cost: ~$5 each.  

Downside: the material began to disintegrate after about 5 years.  :(  Otherwise, they've been really helpful.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/dimpa-storage-bag-clear-10056770/