Menu

Please help me find an algebra course for my son

Due to the pandemic and the fact that I am immunocompromised, I will be homeschooling my son for a while.  At least until there are treatments or a vaccine.  I homeschooled him from k-5 but put him in public school for 6-7.  Next year he will be doing algebra and I need some help learning about what would work best for him.

Distance learning hasn’t gone well for him.  He has mild autism and ADHD and all the opening and closing of tabs frustrates him. He is a very mathy kid and has done well with every curriculum we’ve used and at Public school as well.  I’m hoping to find a program that is thorough and complete but maybe doesn’t have a ton of problems on each page.  My son gets overwhelmed with a lot of busyness on the paper. He doesn’t need a ton of review either.  I like the idea of having a video lesson to watch as well, but I feel confident I can teach him too.  I’m rather mathy myself.

Any ideas of what curriculums are available?

Take a look at unlockmath.com.  It has a 2 week free trial.  One problem up at a time, short lessons, and unlimited practice.  It covers more than most Algebra 1 programs.  The teacher speaks very fast.  

ETA:  It's a 30 day free trial now.  

Edited by klmama

You might want to check out Videotext Algebra.  They teach each lesson with a video (very clear presentations), and then move on to the daily assignment, which they recommend you do only odd-numbered questions.  (And as I recall, it wasn't too many.)  You only do even-numbered questions, the next day, if the concept didn't quite sink in.  They have quizzes which also are not long, and as I recall (sorry, it's been awhile!), there's a Quiz A and a Quiz B.  You start with Quiz A, and only do Quiz B if you need to go over some concepts before moving on.

The program is rather pricy, but you might be able to find a used one somewhere. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, J-rap said:

You might want to check out Videotext Algebra.  They teach each lesson with a video (very clear presentations), and then move on to the daily assignment, which they recommend you do only odd-numbered questions.  (And as I recall, it wasn't too many.)  You only do even-numbered questions, the next day, if the concept didn't quite sink in.  They have quizzes which also are not long, and as I recall (sorry, it's been awhile!), there's a Quiz A and a Quiz B.  You start with Quiz A, and only do Quiz B if you need to go over some concepts before moving on.

The program is rather pricy, but you might be able to find a used one somewhere. 

My mathy boys are about 2 weeks from finishing this program.  We started half way through 8th grade and they are finishing 9th grade now.  The program will cover a little Pre-A, but it covers Alg 1 and Alg 2.  We are getting ready to start Geometry next.

We did the on-line program, which was $299, with access for 3 years and the ability to use on 2 or 3 students (I can't remember as I only have my twins).

As J-rap said, mine watched the video and did the odd problems (usually this was 5-7 problems per lesson).  If they had trouble with a concept, they did the even.  They did Quiz A and, if they had a problem, took Quiz B.  There are Unit Tests and Cumulative/Comprehensive tests too.

They have someone available to answer questions (usually a call back from the instructor), but we only needed to call them a couple of times.  He was very helpful when we needed him.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 5:45 PM, Zoo Keeper said:

Foerster's Algebra may work well-- it is thorough, and the layout is clean. 

You can self teach, or there are videos from Math Without Borders... https://www.mathwithoutborders.com/algebra-1/

My son with ASD and ADHD is using this, and he likes the videos. He's mathy but has some academic quirks. 

If your son doesn't have language issues and likes wordy explanations, this is a pretty good curriculum, though I think they have an occasional wrong answer in the key (I think the author would be open to hearing about them though): http://www.aplusses.com/zencart/  The text is meant to be written in, so there aren't a million problems on the page. It was too wordy for my son, but it is a nice curriculum.