Menu

Formica counter top contractor/handyman refurbish question

Tap

I have a counter top that is  similar to the style shown. It is grey stone look Formica and has a bevel with wood showing through. The wood bevel is real wood, you can see/feel the grain and there are spots where the finish has worn off. 

The cabinets are currently golden oak ala 1990s. I am painting the kitchen cabinets a very dark blue and grey. The golden bevel on the countertop has to go!  LOL 

I don't know what my options are for fixing it. Can I lightly sand and restain it a grey color? I don't have it in my budget to do a counter top so I need to work with what I have. I don't have a sample piece to play with but there is a corner with low viability to try something before the whole kitchen is done. 

Any ideas? 

e7e53b3a95f88eec92c2d2d2dbca8f84.jpg

Firstly, consider starting this project a little later unless it's essential. We have to move (military) and have some reno projects stalled because non-essential businesses are not legally allowed to start new projects. Our local hardwood stores are only offering on-line or phone-in orders. 

The added stress of trying to do renos now is maybe not worth it.  For example, if you start sanding the wood and damage the formica, you may not be able to get any replacement countertops for a while. 

23 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Firstly, consider starting this project a little later unless it's essential. We have to move (military) and have some reno projects stalled because non-essential businesses are not legally allowed to start new projects. Our local hardwood stores are only offering on-line or phone-in orders. 

The added stress of trying to do renos now is maybe not worth it.  For example, if you start sanding the wood and damage the formica, you may not be able to get any replacement countertops for a while. 

Thanks for thinking about that!

Home Depot type stores in our area are considered essential (ETA: in our state) and are not limiting items at this time. Sherwin WIlliams (and other paint stores) has curbside pick up, if that changes. I have all the sanding supplies I need. I just need to figure out the stain, without having a sample to take to a store.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I stained some wood shelves Rustoleum Weathered Gray a few years back.  It's a perfect trendy neutral gray, is really easy, cheap, and I don't remember that it smelled at all  Home Depot or similar should carry it. Do have them shake it up if they can shake a stain can that small, it takes FOREVER to stir up.