Menu

switch from Teaching Textbooks to what?

My 3rd, 5th, & 8th graders are using Teaching Textbooks this year.  I want to switch to something non-computer-based for next year but am not sure what.  It needs to be non-teacher intensive.  I don't mind explaining something if they don't understand, but I can't be the one teaching all the math concepts.  My 8th grader used CLE math for a couple years and it seemed decent, but they don't have high school math past Algebra I so I don't know if that would work for her.  I'm a little afraid my boys will rebel against doing boring black and white math after T.T.   Any other suggestions?

What is it about teaching textbooks that you don't like?

Most 4th graders are not going to be able to effectively self-teach math from a textbook; teaching textbooks is one of the least teacher intensive programs out there.

For solid conceptual teaching in a work-text format I like Math Mammoth, which goes through prealgebra.

I do know some kids who mostly self-teach high school math using Saxon. I don't think mine would.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, caedmyn said:

My 3rd, 5th, & 8th graders are using Teaching Textbooks this year.  I want to switch to something non-computer-based for next year but am not sure what.  It needs to be non-teacher intensive.  I don't mind explaining something if they don't understand, but I can't be the one teaching all the math concepts.  My 8th grader used CLE math for a couple years and it seemed decent, but they don't have high school math past Algebra I so I don't know if that would work for her.  I'm a little afraid my boys will rebel against doing boring black and white math after T.T.   Any other suggestions?

If TT is working for them, and you are just wanting to use something non-computer based, you could just use the actual textbooks with TT instead of the computer version. Initially, this was how that program worked. The material is taught in the textbooks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...