Menu

Should I do Physics or something else?

I'm trying to figure out what to do for my non -mathy daughter who thinks she might want to either be a middle school history or English teacher. 

She did well with Apologia Physical Science in 8th grade. (I honestly wish that I would have saved it for 9th grade then I might not be trying to figure out which science to do next.) She is working through Apologia Biology and Algebra 1 this year (9th grade) and will do Friendly Chemistry and Geometry next year (10th grade).

I don't have the ability to teach physics and I know the math would be a huge stumbling block. I'm considering Hewitt Conceptual Physics, but still doubt my ability to successfully implement it. I'm also considering Fascinating Physics' online course, but don't see it mentioned very often. Is Fascinating Physics enough for high school? I've thought about doing the online course and having her read through Hewitt.

I'm wondering if I should just skip physics all together and do something else. I feel like we need something in the realm of physical science for transcript purposes. If not physics then what should she take?

Also just wanted to add that the universities where my daughter will be applying are not super competitive. 

Any suggestions? TIA!!! ☺

You may want to wait until she is further along in 10th before deciding. She might be able to do the conceptual physics by herself then as she will be in 11th. If not you can do other science like anatomy, forensic science, geology, environmental science etc. some schools require 2 science with labs so that’s what you can look into. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliegmom said:

I feel like we need something in the realm of physical science for transcript purposes.

Chemistry is considered a physical science, and it looks like she will have that.  

How about environmental science?  The great thing about ES, aside from being timely, is that you can make it into an awesome interdisciplinary course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lilaclady said:

You may want to wait until she is further along in 10th before deciding. She might be able to do the conceptual physics by herself then as she will be in 11th. If not you can do other science like anatomy, forensic science, geology, environmental science etc. some schools require 2 science with labs so that’s what you can look into. 

You’re correct. She will need at least two sciences with lab, but that will already be covered with biology and chemistry. If we do physics, I’m not sure that we’d do the labs.

I’m thinking that Environmental Science might be a better fit for her. 

Is your DD interested in Physics? In high school, so much can change with a student's interest from one year to the next. AP Environmental Science or Environmental Science would be a good option if she doesn't want to take Physics. If you have a public virtual school in your state, Physics might be doable. You wouldn't have to teach Physics, but be aware how the student learns at the public virtual school in your state. The one I'm familiar with, the student basically teaches himself/herself via an online textbook and videos. If you have access to free dual enrollment, Intro to Earth Science is a great course to take.

• Like 1

Do you know what colleges/universities she might consider?  Some have very specific science requirements and others do not.  My oldest (majoring in Public Relations Event Management) did Conceptual Physics her senior year.  If I recall, it only required Algebra 2 (and not a lot of that).  It was a very good text and we enjoyed it.  My youngest (majoring in Math and Mechanical/Energy Engineering) did a much different physics program in high school

Physics is such a foundational  science that I did not consider skipping it.  Both also had biology and chemisty and a science of their choosing (oldest did equine science, youngest genetics)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 3:19 PM, Juliegmom said:

You’re correct. She will need at least two sciences with lab, but that will already be covered with biology and chemistry. If we do physics, I’m not sure that we’d do the labs.

I’m thinking that Environmental Science might be a better fit for her. 

Labs for physics are cheap to fund, and the stuff is easily available through Home Science training Tools, so don't let that stop you if she wants physics.  If she does Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, there is an excellent and homeschool-friendly lab manual available.

• Like 1