Menu

I can’t make a decision about getting a new dog.

Ginevra

16 minutes ago, Jennay said:

What about a Samoyed?

Our neighbor has one and he is such a wonderful dog. Absolutely beautiful, friendly, and well-behaved.  I'm not really a "dog person" but I'd get a dog like him if DH was willing. We probably never will though because we are both "cat people."

Samoyeds are nice dogs and very pretty, I agree. I know Dh does not want an all-white dog, though. He has specifically mentioned this before. Where we live the dog will be dirty a lot of the time and it bothers him to have a white but dirty dog. 
Im sorry that makes us sound so picky about looks. But as I said, dhgrew up with hardy farm dogs and he doesn’t think much of fancy coats. 

18 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

What does he not like, if anything, about a border collie? Would one of the larger ones work for him? Maybe a tri-color?

Oh! In the book The Other End of The Leash by Patricia McConnel she describes how her border collie literally saved her life by climbing over a wooden wall - tearing out his own toe nails in the process - to get INTO an enclosure where an angry 200 pound sheep had backed Patricia into a corner and was charging her over and over again. Luke, her border collie (who my border collie is named after), got in, drove off the sheep many times his own size, and saved her. 

If that's not noble and brave enough, I don't know what is! Maybe share that with your husband!

I believe he would like a border collie fine but I’m certain he would see one as *my* dog. I don’t think he would make an effort to connect with a dog I got “for myself.” 
I was the one who pushed for a dog when we got Sarge but because I was pregnant and had a baby, most of the dog care felll to him with Sarge and he became very attached to Sarge and Sarge, to him. 
I loved Sargie but he kind of became “dh’s dog.” 
ETA: picture of Sarge

BEF92FF1-49CB-4D14-AD65-7DF92DDB6D82.jpeg

Edited by Quill
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think you should definitely take a look at Dobermans for the win. 😁 Hardy. Not fancy. Awesome and strong, but gentle. 

He loves Dobies. His mom had one around the year 2000. Someone my SIL knew had gotten the dog and kept her for half a year but realized she was working too many hours to leave that big dog alone for so much of the day. So my SIL and BIL took the dog off her hands and gave the Dobie to my MIL. 
She was certainly an excellent dog. My only little issue I have with Dobies is that I am opposed to ear clipping. In the case of my MIL’s dog, her ears were clipped before and so there wasn’t anything that could be done. But I personally would not cut ears of my own volition. And it would bother me a little to have a dog with clipped ears, even if it was done beforehand; I would feel people were judging me and I would have this need to say *I* hadn’t chosen war clipping. 
Having said all of that, I have never ruled out Dobermans. We both really loved MIL’s dog. 

12 minutes ago, Quill said:

He loves Dobies. His mom had one around the year 2000. Someone my SIL knew had gotten the dog and kept her for half a year but realized she was working too many hours to leave that big dog alone for so much of the day. So my SIL and BIL took the dog off her hands and gave the Dobie to my MIL. 
She was certainly an excellent dog. My only little issue I have with Dobies is that I am opposed to ear clipping. In the case of my MIL’s dog, her ears were clipped before and so there wasn’t anything that could be done. But I personally would not cut ears of my own volition. And it would bother me a little to have a dog with clipped ears, even if it was done beforehand; I would feel people were judging me and I would have this need to say *I* hadn’t chosen war clipping. 
Having said all of that, I have never ruled out Dobermans. We both really loved MIL’s dog. 

I'm seeing fewer and fewer with the cropped ears. Most veterinarians won't even do it anymore. It's SUCH a huge PIA and people almost never do the aftercare right so the outcomes vary even when done "properly" and then the people complain to the vet. So the customer service nightmare of it plus most vets just not liking to do elective surgery means most pet owners don't seem to have it done anymore. So unless DH was a stickler for it you absolutely don't have to do it, and it is usually done at an old enough age that you can get a puppy without his//her ears done. it isn't like docking where it is done at a few days old and you have no choice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

Some areas the purebred dogs (and even teh very adoptable but recognizable mixes) get taken out of the shelters by breed specific rescue groups. So a purebred weimaraner in many areas would be pulled from the shelter as soon as it came in and taken to a breed rescue in those places. Which may be why the dogs at her shelter are mostly pits and hounds. 

And having owned two weims and fostered 2 more, I can say that they calm down and become great dogs right around age 7. I used to tell that specific age to lots of people 🙂

So you got in on the calm part. 

Weimaraners, when bred for field, have the energy and drive of a border collie but hardly any of the tendency toward obedience that a border collie has. Think 70 pound toddler....for years and years. (it isn't that they can't be obedient or learn, but they want to know why first, and what is in it for them. Then they will decide if they want to do it or not. Nothing like a dog bred to follow orders for generations. Weims, like hounds, seek out the sent and the human follows them, and they still think they should be in charge)

Yeah I think we lucked out on our Weim.  We didn't want the super active dog.  I mean my ds might have for a little bit.  Sometimes he wishes she wanted to go do things, but she mostly naps all day.  Doesn't like to play and is fine with short walks.  Knowing all we know now, we wont get a Weim again unless they are over 7.   Lab all the way.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Quill said:

I believe he would like a border collie fine but I’m certain he would see one as *my* dog. I don’t think he would make an effort to connect with a dog I got “for myself.” 
I was the one who pushed for a dog when we got Sarge but because I was pregnant and had a baby, most of the dog care felll to him with Sarge and he became very attached to Sarge and Sarge, to him. 
I loved Sargie but he kind of became “dh’s dog.” 
ETA: picture of Sarge

BEF92FF1-49CB-4D14-AD65-7DF92DDB6D82.jpeg

Ok, I am not really even a GS fan, but this is a beautiful dog. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have one older mixed breed right now (a shepherd mix). I never chose to have her (my son brought her home while I was in Hawaii when my oldest grandson was born), and it’s no secret she isn’t my favorite dog we’ve ever had. I’ve said when she’s gone I won’t have another dog.However, yesterday my husband was talking about how we need to get a puppy now, so she’ll have time to “teach it” before she is no longer with us (teach it what I’m not sure - she’s not MY idea of a good dog). The thought of a puppy does sound fun. We haven’t had one in years. I found myself toying with the idea.

Then, this morning while I was making my breakfast, the dog was outside barking incessantly for no apparent reason, and I was instantly reminded why I do NOT want another dog!

I know I’m gonna have a moment of weakness one day, but that’s likely the only way we will wind up with another dog. If I put any rational thought into it, we shall remain dogless when Sam leaves us.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 4:20 PM, Quill said:

But there are things that concern me about the breed. I feel like there is a greater likelihood of getting a puppy of this breed who has the wrong temperament. The dog would not be raised around kids and that worries me for future grandkids. And the hip dysplasia concern is there, too. I believe that if we get another German Shepherd, it will gravitate towards being dh’s dog, like Sarge was. It won’t really be “my” dog. 

Ds wants a Labrador. I am not against that, but then I feel like the dog is “for ds,” moreso than for me or dh, because dh doesn’t especially want a Lab, though he likes them okay. He just likes a GSD much more. Needless to say, with ds being 14, any dog we get now is not really “for him,” though I’m sure he would like playing with the dog; it has to be a dog *we* love for 10-14 years. 

If I were getting a dog entirely for my own enjoyment and dh and ds’s favorites were secondary, I would want either a Border Collie, an Australian Shepherd or some mutt of this type of mix. MY “best dog in my life” was my Sheltie/Spitz mix of my teens and early twenties, Nika. And I love a dog of this type: smart, trainable, calm and sweet temperament. 

So. I think the crux of the question is: who is the dog supposed to be primarily for? Or should we even get one at all?

Many reputable breeders keep their puppies in their homes, where the pups are well socialized by spending time with all the family members. That could be part of your criteria.

From what I understand, Border collies are *smart,* and they have to have a job or they are miserable and will make their owners miserable.

I have also heard that Australian shepherds are similar to Border collies in many ways but without the possibilities of neuroses.

Do you think your ds would be able to be responsible for all the care and training of this new pup? If so, then it's his. If not, then it's yours.

3 hours ago, Ellie said:

Many reputable breeders keep their puppies in their homes, where the pups are well socialized by spending time with all the family members. That could be part of your criteria.

From what I understand, Border collies are *smart,* and they have to have a job or they are miserable and will make their owners miserable.

I have also heard that Australian shepherds are similar to Border collies in many ways but without the possibilities of neuroses.

Do you think your ds would be able to be responsible for all the care and training of this new pup? If so, then it's his. If not, then it's yours.

No. He would enjoy the dog but I wouldn’t get any dog with the idea that he has to assume full responsibility. Presumably any dog we get now will be our responsibility when he goes to college and begins his life. 

3 hours ago, Ellie said:

One of my neighbor's got his wife a border collie, apparently without discussion first. (happy birthday!). The amount of time she has spent clicker training him is super impressive... and yet the other day when I met them on their walk the moment she stopped to chat the dog turned and started jumping up and barking at her. Apparently he does that every time she stops to talk.  I understand now why I've always seen her race walking him. 

We have a golden. Love goldens. Will always have goldens! The kids want a goldendoodle but I have a feeling the next one... will be a golden. 

ok, I re-read your first post. I don't think you actually want a border collie, and maybe not an aussie either. Neither are known to be sweet and calm. Hyper and neurotic, yes. And Aussies are also known to nip children - they both are herding breeds but aussies are more mouthy about it as herding cattle takes more physical contact than herding sheep does. 

Shelties are further from their herding roots and maybe more what you are thinking. 

Is your husband going to be upset about getting another dog if it isn't a shepherd? 

• Like 1

I do think a golden is actually the best idea - could you convince DH to get one and just have a BETTER one than his brother? A competition, lol? Sweet and smart without being overly hyper is a well bred golden. Or an English style labrador - show lines not field lines.

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

I do think a golden is actually the best idea - could you convince DH to get one and just have a BETTER one than his brother? A competition, lol? Sweet and smart without being overly hyper is a well bred golden. Or an English style labrador - show lines not field lines.

No, that brother is also the one married to the SIL I can barely stand, so we’re pretty united on not wanting to have the same kind of dog they have. Again - I know it’s silly! But it really is how we feel about Goldens. 

I do like English style Labs. There even is or used to be a breeder of them at the kennel where I did Sargie’s training classes. 

6 minutes ago, Quill said:

No, that brother is also the one married to the SIL I can barely stand, so we’re pretty united on not wanting to have the same kind of dog they have. Again - I know it’s silly! But it really is how we feel about Goldens. 

I do like English style Labs. There even is or used to be a breeder of them at the kennel where I did Sargie’s training classes. 

Then go lab! The lab people and golden people have a good rivalry going on already, you can join in 🙂

No nonsense coat for your DH, smart, easy to train, and sweet as pie. Just go to a good breeder, meet the parents, ask for references of other owners from previous litters, etc. There are some kind of wacky labs out there these days, but nothing like the issues with GSDs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

ok, I re-read your first post. I don't think you actually want a border collie, and maybe not an aussie either. Neither are known to be sweet and calm. Hyper and neurotic, yes. And Aussies are also known to nip children - they both are herding breeds but aussies are more mouthy about it as herding cattle takes more physical contact than herding sheep does. 

Shelties are further from their herding roots and maybe more what you are thinking. 

Is your husband going to be upset about getting another dog if it isn't a shepherd? 

I don’t think he will be upset, but I think he won’t be interested in the dog if its not a shepherd. He could probably come to care about a Lab, mostly because a Lab would likely do well when we do fishing and crabbing, which dh would like. But the collie-ish type of dog I would like for myself - not much likelihood dh will put interest into the dog. 

It’s similar with our cat. He “likes” the cat fine, and he cares about the cat’s well-being, but the cat is essentially mine. He doesn’t go to any extra effort to pet the cat. He’ll do things to indicate caring and he, for example, saw that she got fed and watered while I was gone (though nobody scraped out the damn litterbox). 

Just now, Quill said:

I don’t think he will be upset, but I think he won’t be interested in the dog if its not a shepherd. He could probably come to care about a Lab, mostly because a Lab would likely do well when we do fishing and crabbing, which dh would like. But the collie-ish type of dog I would like for myself - not much likelihood dh will put interest into the dog. 

It’s similar with our cat. He “likes” the cat fine, and he cares about the cat’s well-being, but the cat is essentially mine. He doesn’t go to any extra effort to pet the cat. He’ll do things to indicate caring and he, for example, saw that she got fed and watered while I was gone (though nobody scraped out the damn litterbox). 

Meh, then just get what you want. He'll probably like it more than you think. 

• Like 3

I love Dobermans with natural ears. Cropped ears make me cringe.

English labs are great. We have two of them, a brother and sister pair (yes, we have a lot of dogs - in addition to our labs and Aussies, we have seven rescue dogs, most of whom are in the special needs and/or not very adoptable category). Anyway, English labs are sweet, easy to train, and much lower energy than Aussies or border collies. One word of warning, they put on weight easily and are prone to obesity, so it's important to keep a close eye on their diet and exercise. Ours are lean and fit because they get a ton of exercise running and playing with the other dogs, but they are couch potatoes at heart and they live to eat.🙂