Menu

Help! Need a quick answer about early HS courses on transcript

I'm trying to apply for dual enrollment and I have to supply a transcript. I'm not sure if it needs to be an official transcript and that's giving me some anxiety as I'd like the option to adjust a few things (year couse completed, labeling a course honors if ds passes the CLEP test, and whether I need the credits for something). I'm not sure what to do about high school classes completed in 8th grade. I have them on the transcript labeled "Early high school courses", but should I count them in the credit count or GPA? What do most schools do with those grades? I'm thinking I should have them on the transcript, but not count them on the final credit count or in the GPA. Is that what most people do?

Some count them in credits. Some in credits & GPA. Some don't list them at all. You can do whatever you want.

Just be consistent. Also note those pre-HS classes should only be science, math, and/or foreign language.

I didn't end up listing any for my dd#1. I planned to include the credits but not GPA but then just simplified to not have them at all.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I plan to show them for math and science, Algebra 1 and Physical Science, but probably won't count them for either. I know many people don't consider physical science to be high school level, but most of the local schools require it as a freshman science class now and I'm applying to the local university and they'll expect to see it.

1 hour ago, mom2scouts said:

I plan to show them for math and science, Algebra 1 and Physical Science, but probably won't count them for either. I know many people don't consider physical science to be high school level, but most of the local schools require it as a freshman science class now and I'm applying to the local university and they'll expect to see it.

Physical Science is not usually brought up from middle school as a high school credit, as it is still very commonly the 8th grade science, depending on where you live. What you want for credits brought up from middle school are things that show rigor -- taking Biology in 8th grade shows advanced work or rigor; Physical Science does not.

Also, if you look at what credits universities require for admission, the universities want Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. They also like to see Advanced Sciences. I've never seen Physical Science listed as something required or expected. So your local university will not bat an eye if they don't see Physical Science on the transcript. 😄  

This is just to check the box for DE or it’s competitive to get DE approval?

For most CC’s, that it say official, be signed, and have an expected graduation date are more important than anything else. At CC’s in multiple places around me, it doesn’t even have to have grades.

Some CC’s will officially list your student’s concurrent course load on their official records but not transcripts for applications. In other words, precisely how you do it probably isn’t a decision set in stone.

Edited by Farrar

On 3/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, Farrar said:

This is just to check the box for DE or it’s competitive to get DE approval?

For most CC’s, that it say official, be signed, and have an expected graduation date are more important than anything else.

Some CC’s will officially list your student’s concurrent course load on their official records but not transcripts for applications. In other words, precisely how you do it probably isn’t a decision set in stone.

It's just to apply for DE for a local university. We don't actually have CC's near us except trade based ones because I'm surrounded by large universities.

On 3/4/2020 at 11:25 AM, Lori D. said:

Physical Science is not usually brought up from middle school as a high school credit, as it is still very commonly the 8th grade science, depending on where you live. What you want for credits brought up from middle school are things that show rigor -- taking Biology in 8th grade shows advanced work or rigor; Physical Science does not.

Also, if you look at what credits universities require for admission, the universities want Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. They also like to see Advanced Sciences. I've never seen Physical Science listed as something required or expected. So your local university will not bat an eye if they don't see Physical Science on the transcript. 😄  

That's always what I thought too, but our high schools now require everyone to take physical science as a high school course. Homeschoolers who take it in 8th and then go to public school are always required to retake physical science as a freshman science class! Nobody takes biology until 10th grade. Weird, huh?

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

It's just to apply for DE for a local university. We don't actually have CC's near us expect trade based ones because I'm surrounded by large universities.

Gotcha. No problem -- this transcript for applying to DE does NOT have to be identical to your final official transcript. 😉

15 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

That's always what I thought too, but our high schools now require everyone to take physical science as a high school course. Homeschoolers who take it in 8th and then go to public school are always required to retake physical science as a freshman science class! Noboby takes biology until 10th grade. Weird, huh?

Even if the local school districts do have a science progression of Physical Science in 9th, Biology in 10th, etc. -- you won't need to have Physical Science on your student's final transcript (at the end of high school) because it won't matter for applying to the universities, even your local universities. They admit tons of non-local students and out-of-state students who did NOT have the same science progression in their high schools. And putting Physical Science on the final transcript along with much stronger/more advanced DE science credits could just end up looking like "padding" of the transcript. 😉 

• Like 2

We have the same issue with Physical Science.  It is required in 9th grade locally but dd took it in 8th.  I have left it off her transcript but did include foreign language and advanced math taken before high school.  I did not factor those credits into her GPA but they do count in total credit load.

I did leave the option to add Physical Science in during a time when we were considering early graduation.  In that case, I was going to need a 4th science credit and would have used it.  But in that case her 8th grade year would really have been her "9th grade" year so that would have been a different situation.  All that to say that while Physical Science may not be typically considered "high school" level to many colleges, if it was indeed taken in high school, it can and should be listed and counted just like it would be in a B&M school transcript.

• Like 2

I arranged the courses by subject.  High school courses taken in middle school were given the code "M" and in the key it said "High school course taken in middle school."  I included all grades in the GPA.  Both kids had multiple courses in this category across all subject areas.

Edited by EKS

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 7:19 AM, mom2scouts said:

I'm trying to apply for dual enrollment and I have to supply a transcript. I'm not sure if it needs to be an official transcript and that's giving me some anxiety as I'd like the option to adjust a few things (year couse completed, labeling a course honors if ds passes the CLEP test, and whether I need the credits for something). I'm not sure what to do about high school classes completed in 8th grade. I have them on the transcript labeled "Early high school courses", but should I count them in the credit count or GPA? What do most schools do with those grades? I'm thinking I should have them on the transcript, but not count them on the final credit count or in the GPA. Is that what most people do?

Our local public schools counts early high school math, physics, and language on the transcript, counts it in the credit count for high school, and rolls it into the high school GPA.  I did the same and DD got into all her colleges with top scholarships, so it worked out OK.  It probably doesn't matter which option you go wtih, as long as you are clear about what you have done.

• Like 1

I had planned to list it, but now that it's time I am leaving it all off.  If you have Geometry and Algebra 2, its assumed you took Algebra 1.  My DD applied for DE with no issues, just listing her HS courses.  Shes taking so many DE classes, her transcript is going to be long and rigorous without listing the middle school stuff.  I want to keep it as simple as possible.

• Like 1

I ended up sending a subject transcript. I included the classes in the credit hours and not GPA (and noted that) which didn't matter because it balanced out and wouldn't change the GPA anyway, but gives me more options later. The university accepted it without question.

• Like 2