Menu

I need color scheme help with my kitchen

Scarlett

In our 'new' house, a wall oven/microwave combo doesn't work, so we pulled it out and will pull out the gas cook top and replace with  new slide in gas range.  Except of course it isn't as easy as pull these out and slide new thing in...So, since we have to cut out, add cabinets etc....I think we are just going to do a mini remodel....meaning keep the existing cabinets, but paint them, replace counter tops, backsplash, sink and put on new handles/knobs.  So really starting from scratch color wise.....except we are not going to replace the tile right now and it is that really plain, boring 90s tile...light colored enough that I don't think white cabinets would look good with it.  So.....what color?  In the nearby dining room we have an Indigo Batik (SW) accent wall....I really need to make a decision.....

I personally like the kitchen to be the brightest room in the house, so our past two kitchens had soft yellow walls.  However, we're in an apartment now and the walls are a light tan.  I chose to accent the kitchen with one of the soft blues in your link.  When you look at the 10 paint samples underneath the first group of photos, ours is close to the one on the top row, second from the right.  I LOVE that color, and it goes with the retro theme in our apartment too.  The main thing I don't like about our present kitchen though is that the counter tops are black granite -- which seems to show every little speck.  I'd much prefer our old laminate countertops which were a white with speckles of gold.  It would give the whole kitchen a brighter look, and surprisingly, it always looked clean!

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

https://www.apieceofrainbow.com/25-paint-colors-kitchen-cabinets/4/

Numbers 19-22 are blues.  I like the white subway tile, but then what color countertop with blue cabinets?  White?  Will I regret white? This will be laminate (due to the retro-fit of this kitchen) solid surface is not an easy option) 

I did a light gray speckly laminate and it wasn't too bad to keep clean. I could easily bleach any stains. Red dye tended to leave stains but getting up wasn't bad.  And I like the navy cabinets. I like some of the other blues, but think that navy will stay classic and stylish much longer than some of the other colors.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I personally like the kitchen to be the brightest room in the house, so our past two kitchens had soft yellow walls.  However, we're in an apartment now and the walls are a light tan.  I chose to accent the kitchen with one of the soft blues in your link.  When you look at the 10 paint samples underneath the first group of photos, ours is close to the one on the top row, second from the right.  I LOVE that color, and it goes with the retro theme in our apartment too.  The main thing I don't like about our present kitchen though is that the counter tops are black granite -- which seems to show every little speck.  I'd much prefer our old laminate countertops which were a white with speckles of gold.  It would give the whole kitchen a brighter look, and surprisingly, it always looked clean!

It is pretty.  You were able to paint your cabinets in the apartment?   In the first set of pictures in my link the blue cabinets with white subway tile and white countertops is sort of what I am envisioning.  The only thing is that floor is dark and mine is not...But I am hoping the focus will just go to the pretty paint color and white subway tile.....

So, love that Indigo Batik color, and white subway tile.  I would use a medium grey grout and I would not go for a solid white countertop. I would go for a white with cream undertones marble look with some vibrant veins in it.  Every brand has a version, it's usually tied to a Calcutta name. 🙂  It will help hide dirt/stains, blend with the grout on the tile, and pull a more modern look.  For the blue cabinets, I would lean towards a dark navy:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/420664421447872624/?nic_v1=1aiEVRUa9OFvi4PEKT9JLeppIaLojHHBWsbl%2B5gjp35baXk7W84vAd1xQUvfVB6TQt

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/845621267518901170/?nic_v1=1agodmbc4wxByetHizzErEJ53t49yc0XA%2FFfiJEbVd82DBV195DZ4Dp6XXemoOLjvH

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

So, love that Indigo Batik color, and white subway tile.  I would use a medium grey grout and I would not go for a solid white countertop. I would go for a white with cream undertones marble look with some vibrant veins in it.  Every brand has a version, it's usually tied to a Calcutta name. 🙂  It will help hide dirt/stains, blend with the grout on the tile, and pull a more modern look.  For the blue cabinets, I would lean towards a dark navy:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/420664421447872624/?nic_v1=1aiEVRUa9OFvi4PEKT9JLeppIaLojHHBWsbl%2B5gjp35baXk7W84vAd1xQUvfVB6TQt

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/845621267518901170/?nic_v1=1agodmbc4wxByetHizzErEJ53t49yc0XA%2FFfiJEbVd82DBV195DZ4Dp6XXemoOLjvH

I like the idea of some cream undertones in the countertop.  I like the Navy, but the Dining room wall is already painted the Indigo Batik.....I would really like to not repaint.....lol

57 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

So, you're going to do the cabinets Indigo Batik also? Or a brighter blue? I'm kinda lost...you want some blue cabinets, right? 

Because if you weren't going for blue, I'd suggest a deep grey or a deep green/grey.

Yes I want to the cabinets in the same color as the dining room accent wall.  Indigo Batik.  It is really very similar to the blues you linked above.  I don't want a blue that might clash with the wall.

And I am kinda anti-grey.  Tile is very beige which I don't think looks good with greys.

Edited by Scarlett

Can you post a picture?  What color is the tile?  I've read way too many decorating blogs lately, but based off them, I would base the color of your countertop on the tile color (not that they have to match, but you don't want it to look off as it would if, say, the tile is gray or white and the countertop is cream.  Choose the color of your backsplash last, after everything else is done, because it needs to coordinate with everything else.  If you end up with a creamy counter, you'd want more of a creamy white backsplash and not a white white backsplash.  Does that make sense?

• Thanks 1

Are the tiles a light tan?  They look gray in the shadowed areas but light tan in the lighter areas so I'm not sure.  If they're tan a creamy countertop should look good.  But definitely get some samples and lay them on your floor and make sure they look good together before you buy the countertops.  A darker blue would look nice for the cabinets but paint a sample board with the color you want in the paint you want to use and see how it looks if you're using a cabinet paint or a different brand of paint because it may not look the same as your wall/what you have in mind even if you have the color matched (I found this out the hard way in my own house).  Apparently paint color matching is not an exact science, no matter what they may say at the paint store.

3 minutes ago, caedmyn said:

Are the tiles a light tan?  They look gray in the shadowed areas but light tan in the lighter areas so I'm not sure.  If they're tan a creamy countertop should look good.  But definitely get some samples and lay them on your floor and make sure they look good together before you buy the countertops.  A darker blue would look nice for the cabinets but paint a sample board with the color you want in the paint you want to use and see how it looks if you're using a cabinet paint or a different brand of paint because it may not look the same as your wall/what you have in mind even if you have the color matched (I found this out the hard way in my own house).  Apparently paint color matching is not an exact science, no matter what they may say at the paint store.

Definitely tan, no gray. Well not really tan....not that dark.  But creamy.

Edited by Scarlett

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

It is pretty.  You were able to paint your cabinets in the apartment?   In the first set of pictures in my link the blue cabinets with white subway tile and white countertops is sort of what I am envisioning.  The only thing is that floor is dark and mine is not...But I am hoping the focus will just go to the pretty paint color and white subway tile.....

No, we couldn't paint our cabinets, but all of our decor (on the walls and counters, plus rugs) has that color blue.  

• Like 1

I can't get the photo to work for me. 

I agree---bright blue-undertones white subway tile + a cream-undertones white countertop would look weird.....but there is usually a version of white subway tile that has the warmer undertones rather than the blue ones.  When you put them side by side, you can pick the right one.  

I hate the dust and mess of demo too.  Good luck. It will be awesome on the other side.

13 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I can't get the photo to work for me. 

I agree---bright blue-undertones white subway tile + a cream-undertones white countertop would look weird.....but there is usually a version of white subway tile that has the warmer undertones rather than the blue ones.  When you put them side by side, you can pick the right one.  

I hate the dust and mess of demo too.  Good luck. It will be awesome on the other side.

I am confused....so you don't think the Indigo cabinets/white counter (with something mixed in so it is not so stark white) and white subway tiles will look good?

Let me try to clarify.... I think as long as you pay attention to undertones, you will be fine. Most of the marble look countertops have warm undertones.  Some of the white subway tile (and some marble look countertops) have cool undertones---almost blue-ish. That said, most of what I have seen in stock lately in terms of white subway tile has had warmer undertones....  Your tile floors are definitely warm-undertoned, and I would call Indigo Batik a warmer blue. Just keep everything lined up in terms of undertones and you will be fine.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We (and by we I mean Dh) are slowly getting things done in the kitchen.  We rearranged the one wall where formerly there was a cooktop and then right next to that a wall oven /microwave combo.  All of that came out. He shifted the base and uppers down the wall a bit. One upper was cut out to accommodate the over cook top fan....so Dh added a shelf and put our microwave there.  Where the wall oven was Dh put a new lower...and we will be changing out the other lower on that side of the kitchen to make the space more uniform.  Above the new slide in gas range he installed a vent hood that will eventually go through the ceiling and then through the roof.  That left a little more space on one side of the vent, so he built the cutest little spice rack to attach to the end of one upper that evened it out.  There was a little bar at the end of the kitchen but the counter came out too far and made a tight squeeze to get into the space.  He cut about 8 inches off which made a huge difference.  He then reapplied the laminate to the edges perfectly.  

So a lot of work with very little money spent.  And I now have a complete stove/oven to use.  

Dh thinks the indigo Batik on my dining room wall will be too dark for the cabinets....he wants a brighter blue....so still discussing that.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1