Menu

Foot rash that is spreading - doctor or no doctor?

mlktwins

Please note that don't like seeing bare feet you shouldn't look at the pic 😆.  My son was at a swim meet Fri through yesterday.  On Sat evening I noticed one section of a rash or scratch (like a rug burn) - see circled part on picture.  He thought he knocked it on the lane line or something, but wasn't sure.  It didn't hurt or itch.  Yesterday evening, after the meet was over, he had more (as you can see).  Still not burning or itching, but the part near his toes bled a little (this was at the end of the meet).  I put aquaphor on it and covered it up.  He just woke up and the higher spot on the front of his ankle is new.

Question.  I want to take him in to get it checked - have no idea what it is.  DH says to put cortizone on it and see how it is tomorrow.  Son doesn't want to go into to the doctor, but also doesn't want to lose his foot 😋 .  I wouldn't hesitate to take him in, but we have dealt with colds and flu since the middle of December and we are all finally better.  If we go in, of course we will wear a mask.

I was thinking the pediatrician, but maybe I should go to the dermatologist.  That would be safer right?

What would you do? ETA:  It is a holiday 😞!  Doctors may be closed!

Inked20200217_085045_LI.jpg

Edited by mlktwins
Revised title

Call your doctor or hospital or etc and see if someone can look at the pictures and give guidance.  

Could be fungal like ringworm or athletes foot or maybe could be bacterial—in which case cortisone isn’t right treatment Afaik. 

• Like 1

I would take him to his primary care doctor. I can’t imagine you can get a same day appointment to a dermatologist-if you can you are very lucky. Everywhere I have lived it is a months long wait. I think just try not to touch too much at the office and wash your hands when you get home and you should be ok. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lovinmyboys said:

I would take him to his primary care doctor. I can’t imagine you can get a same day appointment to a dermatologist-if you can you are very lucky. Everywhere I have lived it is a months long wait. I think just try not to touch too much at the office and wash your hands when you get home and you should be ok. 

It took my DH four months to get in to see a dermatologist, and that was with a referral from his oncologist. So, yes -- your primary care provider is the way to go.

• Like 1

OP here!  Poo!!!  Ok...the derm is closed for the holiday (that might have been less risky sick wise), but I have an appt with his peds office at 11 am.  We'll just mask up and wash hands and clothes when we get home.  Mama gut is saying to go and son is fighting it.  My kids seem to have more of an opinion about these things when they are 14.5!!! 

• Like 2

Until you get it officially diagnosed, I’d also assume that your son’s foot thing may be contagious and wash carefully after handling, and keep it covered up, maybe clean bathtub or shower floor.  It doesn’t look like athletes foot, but that’s commonly transmitted at pools IME. Other than being without typical ring around a center it does look quite a lot like ring worm (another fungus, not a worm).   

• Like 2

OP again.  I went and looked again and took another picture.  Different light and different angle, but there is a white ring around them that I didn't notice before.  I'll update when we get back so just ya'll know what it is -- LOL.  So exciting right?!?!?  This was to be our only full day at home from last Sunday (a week ago) until next Sunday.  Best laid plans...  No swim practice tonight, but starts back up tomorrow.  I need to know so I don't put him in the pool and make his situation worse or give it to someone else.

20200217_092357.jpg

Just now, Pen said:

Until you get it officially diagnosed, I’d also assume that your son’s foot thing may be contagious and wash carefully after handling, and keep it covered up, maybe clean bathtub or shower floor.  It doesn’t look like athletes foot, but that’s commonly transmitted at pools IME. Other than being without typical ring around a center it does look quite a lot like ring worm (another fungus, not a worm).   

I just posted another picture.  

I washed really well after the first couple of times I touched his foot.  He washed too.  I wore gloves and put socks on him, which he doesn't usually wear at home.  No one will be using the shower again until tonight.  I'll clean the floor when I get home, as well as wash towels.  Will see what it is, but will probably wash his sheets again - just did them Sat.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I just posted another picture.  

I washed really well after the first couple of times I touched his foot.  He washed too.  I wore gloves and put socks on him, which he doesn't usually wear at home.  No one will be using the shower again until tonight.  I'll clean the floor when I get home, as well as wash towels.  Will see what it is, but will probably wash his sheets again - just did them Sat.

Thank you!

Ring worm is typically the opposite: red circle around light not light around red, but it still could be that or some other fungus.  Or a bacterial infection.

it could also be a personal to him allergic reaction in which case you may be okay with not needing to clean shower or bedding extra. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

OP here!  Poo!!!  Ok...the derm is closed for the holiday (that might have been less risky sick wise), but I have an appt with his peds office at 11 am.  We'll just mask up and wash hands and clothes when we get home.  Mama gut is saying to go and son is fighting it.  My kids seem to have more of an opinion about these things when they are 14.5!!! 

I'm guessing hives/allergic reaction of some sort. 

If doctor isn't helpful, give benedryl or if he needs to stay awake some other antihistamine, can add pepcid as well (actually a form of antihistamine!) and do oatmeal soak, then cortisone. 

Try to keep hands in pockets at pediatrician, then hand sanitizer when leave, then shower when you get home. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I'm guessing hives/allergic reaction of some sort. 

If doctor isn't helpful, give benedryl or if he needs to stay awake some other antihistamine, can add pepcid as well (actually a form of antihistamine!) and do oatmeal soak, then cortisone. 

Try to keep hands in pockets at pediatrician, then hand sanitizer when leave, then shower when you get home. 

He hasn't had anything new to eat, detergent, anything.  But...maybe chemicals in the pool water?  It's only on his foot.  I'm going to check his twin out (also in the pool this weekend) when they get out of their on-line class.

ETA:  Twin is fine!

Edited by mlktwins

Looks like hives, dermatitis or early eczema (possibly nummular eczema).  I would have him take an antihistamine and see if it affects it at all.  The consistent red color with white border makes me think hives or allergic dermatitis. Especially since he possibly scraped his  foot and a chemical could have got past the skin barrier. A steroid cream won't hurt and can relieve some of the redness/irritation for any of these conditions. (Steroid creams aren't used in fungal rashes, it can make them worse).

From the picture I don't see a center point like you would expect in a bug/flea bite or folliculitis. No red ring border like you usually see in ring worm (but maybe it is too early to see it). Athletes foot isn't usually circles and is generally dry/flaky looking. Pityriasis Rosea is a circle rash, but it usually forms a more distinct ring as well. PR can start anywhere, but I wouldn't expect a foot...usually torso.

I hope the doctor can help you figure it out!  

• Like 2

Thank you all!!!

The winner is --- contact dermatitis.  I am picking up a script for a cream to put on twice a day.  NP said he didn't need to stay out of the pool, but I will decide that tomorrow.  The only shoes he's worn since he got this are his crocs, so those are soaking in bleach at the moment.

Thanks again!  So nice to be able to ask questions like this with awesome moms to help!!!

• Like 3