Menu

PCOS, Doctors, The Unwillingness to Help

Caraway

I went to an obgyn complaining of symptoms of estrogen dominance and PCOS.  I was diagnosed in high school and have probably had 5 unmedicated cycles in my entire life.  She didn't want to take my word for it and insisted on a variety of tests - fine.  After lots of blood work and an ultrasound she agrees this is the problem.

She would like to "wait and see if it resolves itself".  🤯

It has been 26 years.  Exactly how long are we going to wait for spontaneous resolution?

Her response ENRAGED me.  And I get that I need to find someone else to help me, but WTF?  

I guess I just need to vent.  My husband thinks its just bureaucracy at work but admits this "bureaucracy" has never been applied to his own medical treatment.

Please don't quote.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Wow. Just wow.

Did you tell her it hasn't resolved in 26 years? I mean, eventually you'll not have some of the PCOS symptoms because menopause, but by then, other things will have gotten worse. You are trying to get in front of this, seek help & she sure isn't helping.

As someone who has likely had PCOS myself since puberty but who was only diagnosed recently when I went in for a bunch of other testing, I get it. Do you know what you want to try or are you looking for your doc to proffer ideas?

ETA:  my doc offered BC to deal with symptoms of perimenopause but nothing for PCOS specifically. I am not accepting the BC offer, FWIW.

Edited by RootAnn
Added edit
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Wow. Just wow.

Did you tell her it hasn't resolved in 26 years? I mean, eventually you'll not have some of the PCOS symptoms because menopause, but by then, other things will have gotten worse. You are trying to get in front of this, seek help & she sure isn't helping.

As someone who has likely had PCOS myself since puberty but who was only diagnosed recently when I went in for a bunch of other testing, I get it. Do you know what you want to try or are you looking for your doc to proffer ideas?

ETA:  my doc offered BC to deal with symptoms of perimenopause but nothing for PCOS specifically. I am not accepting the BC offer, FWIW.

To a certain extent I'm already "self medicating" with diet but age/stress/time has meant that diet is not strong enough to override the symptoms.  IME, birth control just covers up the symptoms and allows the doctor to feel like they've done something.  I went along with that scam for a decade.  Never again.  

There are a number of potentially helpful treatments, each with pros/cons.  Berberine/Metformin/Inositol can help.  Recent studies have shown berberine (an herb) to be more effective than Metformin (a diabetes drug).  Other approaches might be cyclical progesterone, or other hormone manipulation.  

I am willing to do all the research myself and basically demand what I want, but I would rather have a doctor who is willing to brainstorm and problem solve with me. 

Doing nothing is not an option I will consider.  😉

• Like 4

That is sad but not surprising.

I wasn't diagnosed until after all my children were born, and then only because I researched what was going on and requested testing.

I have basically been told there is not much they can do except to treat symptoms.  I have been on metformin for years and recently agreed to bc because the pain and bleeding were so bad and I was house bound about half my life.  I had tried various bcp and none worked and many had horrible side effect including more weight gain.  Right now I have an arm implant thingy that is actually working pretty well for me.  I have decided that doctors aren't really able to help so I exercise, try to eat right, and take the meds that alleviate most of my worse symptoms, except sadly weight issues.

I have never had a very sympathetic doctor, which is sad.  I hope you are able to find one.

When my DD started showing signs of also having PCOS, I took her in to get tested.  They have mostly told her to lose weight and take meds.  The weight gain came on suddenly despite eating healthy and exercising hours a day (she was a dancer).  She is almost 19 and I think she has given up hope that the doctors will do much to help her.

30 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What did she say when you told her she was crazy? 

Find a new doctor. 

PCOS = metformin, and some other things, as I'm sure you know from researching....

I asked her over email to show me, via lab results, what causes her to believe this will solve itself.  I can't wait to hear 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Loowit said:

That is sad but not surprising.

I wasn't diagnosed until after all my children were born, and then only because I researched what was going on and requested testing.

I have basically been told there is not much they can do except to treat symptoms.  I have been on metformin for years and recently agreed to bc because the pain and bleeding were so bad and I was house bound about half my life.  I had tried various bcp and none worked and many had horrible side effect including more weight gain.  Right now I have an arm implant thingy that is actually working pretty well for me.  I have decided that doctors aren't really able to help so I exercise, try to eat right, and take the meds that alleviate most of my worse symptoms, except sadly weight issues.

I have never had a very sympathetic doctor, which is sad.  I hope you are able to find one.

When my DD started showing signs of also having PCOS, I took her in to get tested.  They have mostly told her to lose weight and take meds.  The weight gain came on suddenly despite eating healthy and exercising hours a day (she was a dancer).  She is almost 19 and I think she has given up hope that the doctors will do much to help her.

I've been controlling mine, all except for the cycle length, with keto.  Total game changer for me.  I think that this flare up has been caused by a thyroid medication adjustment and that given some brief treatment I could return to relative (although not spontaneous) remission.

I guess I just keep thinking that someone who considers themselves to be an expert should know more on the topic than I do.  However healthcare based on Reddit information continually seems more reliable. 

I would look and see if there is a Napro doctor in your area. They are usually more interested in solving female reproductive issues rather than just treating (or ignoring) symptoms.

https://naturalwomanhood.org/fertility-awareness-naprotechnology-natural-solution-endometriosis-pcos-infertility-womens-health-062018/

Edited by EmseB

So, I know it's really not that simple, but you need to find a new doctor. Ask around!! This one is not meeting your needs.  You are asking for help, been told there is an issue, know there can be somethings to try, and being turn away.  No bueno!

I have PCOS. Diagnosed by my primary after kids in my mid 30's and supported by both her and my OB.  It's out there.  

They originally told me, "There's just a lot we don't know about obesity, Monique." I went to a reproductive endo, even though I wasn't trying to get pregnant at the time, because they were the only ones knowledgeable about PCOS back in the day. He finally diagnosed me with the appropriate labs and started me on metformin. Years of being on bcps likely saved my ovaries and I was able to conceive (when I was finally ready -- a decade later) with just metformin. After two gestational diabetes pregnancies, the insulin resistance got worse and I opted for a gastric bypass. I could see that I would like end up a T2 diabetic like most people with PCOS once they hit midlife. So far, the surgery has helped in some ways (A1C is great, weight is good), but not in others (still have hirsuitism and cystic acne, still have excess androgens, so back on bcps at age 45 to control PCOS). So, I feel you. As the others have said. Get a new doctor. Hugs. 

Edited by SeaConquest