Menu

I've started the process

Night Elf

Just wanted to let those of you who have supported me know that I have started the process of being assessed by an eating disorder clinic. My psychiatrist last wanted me to seek a partial hospitalization program for my E.D. and anxiety but I don't want to go to that facility. I think I have a handle on my anxiety as I'm seeing a counselor for that outside of Kaiser. So now to address my E.D. I'm going to go to clinic. I still feel they'll tell me I do not have a serious enough problem to warrant any type of treatment but at least I'll have their professional opinion to give to my psychiatrist and my husband, both of whom have talked to me about facing this issue. First I have to deal with insurance and then getting labwork done and my actual assessment is next Friday. I have Kaiser and they aren't "user friendly", meaning I am not quite certain how I actually get the labwork done and faxed to the clinic. I tried talking to them this morning about how to do that and she just kept repeating to me that the clinic will ask Kaiser to fax them and it will be handled then. So how do they get my permission to send the lab results to the clinic? Seems like I need to sign something but she acted like she didn't understand what I was asking. So we'll see if this can all happen by Friday. I cannot be assessed without the lab work.

I'm not happy about doing this as I feel like I'll look stupid. I hate looking stupid.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I think if Dr. Whoever at the clinic sends orders to the lab, you don't have to sign a release to have the results given to the doctor.  Because it's understood that you are a patient of Dr. Whoever at the clinic, and you've therefore given your consent for Dr. Whoever to order labs and view the results.

• Like 3

I understand why you feel stupid, but imagine that I wrote that post about my depression. Do you think I would look stupid? I know where you're coming from, and I'm sorry you feel that way, but you absolutely do not look stupid. You look strong, brave and intelligent.

• Like 6

You will probably also be able to access your labs through a portal and can print them and take them with you if it makes you feel better.  But, the doctors will handle it.  If they need you to, they will ask you to sign something at the doctor's, not the lab.

It's okay that you don't know how it works--you aren't stupid.  I spent the first 8 years of parenthood in Canada, which has a completely different medical system.  Then I came here and had my last child, who had liver problems at birth.  My learning curve was very, very steep.  No one treated me like I was stupid when I didn't understand, even when it was things like co-pays, which are pretty standard in the US.  Our system is super complicated.  It will be alright.

And I agree with everyone--you are so strong.  It is wonderful you are listening to feedback from people around you.  Sometimes we can't see ourselves clearly.  And no one at the clinic will mind if it's not "so bad."  They will honor your desire for help and support you the way that you need to be supported.