Menu

Muffin Recipes

medawyn

We like these  Bran Muffins  Not healthy, but certainly healthier than cake.  I use 1/2 c unbleached flour and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour.  You could probably add nuts for protein if desired.  

I should add these can be a bit dry.  Eating them warm with a pat of butter makes them pretty tasty.

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Like 1

You can increase the protein/fiber in most muffin recipes by substituting some of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour, or some alternative flour. I suggest you start with no more than half of the AP flour replaced by whole wheat and experiment carefully from there. You may have to increase the wet ingredients somewhat, especially if you're adding non-wheat flours such as almond flour or flaxmeal - and for that, I find that you can sub in two tablespoons of alternative flour (flaxmeal, almond flour, coconut flour, that's what I have in my pantry) for every cup of flour without altering the baking time or results so long as you're careful not to let the batter get too dry.

You can also, if you're careful, generally add up to two tablespoons of chia seeds to pretty much any recipe that makes one dozen muffins. Again, you'll want to increase the wet ingredients. And you can add in chopped nuts to pretty much any recipe without otherwise making any alterations.

Some people have success subbing some or all of the oil in a muffin recipe with applesauce, but since I don't tend to have applesauce I can't give a hard-and-fast recommendation for that.

• Like 1

Our favorite posted below. You do have to have wheat bran and wheat germ around--I just keep a bag of each (Bob's Red Mill) together in a big ziploc bag in the freezer. About 3.3 gm fiber and almost 5 gm protein per muffin.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

• 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 Tbsp untoasted wheat germ
  • 2 Tbsp wheat bran
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ¼ cup oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • ½ cup boiling water
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, wheat germ, wheat bran, sugar, brown sugar, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add in oats. In a separate bowl, beat the egg lightly with a fork. Stir in buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until thoroughly moistened. Add the boiling water and stir it in with a rubber spatula. Let stand for 15 minutes. Add in chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes

Notes:
The original recipe calls for 1 cup of dried fruit such as raisins, blueberries, cranberries, or a mix of dried fruits. We've made the recipe with raisins many times, or even with no add-in, but the family favorite is definitely with chocolate chips.
  • Like 2

We like these - I do modify the recipe. I use applesauce vs. oil. I use raisins or craisins. I use about 3/4 cup sugar vs. all it calls for. Often we use half AP flour, half whole wheat. I add some wheat germ too. We like these. I also don't add coconut, but that is just because I dislike it. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20995/easy-morning-glory-muffins/ 

• Like 1

For a bran muffin, we really enjoy this one:  Banana Bran Muffin.  I generally use less sugar (1/3-1/2 cup total) because the banana adds its own sweetness and opt out of choc. chips. (I'm not fond of choc. for breakfast).  I've used both wheat bran and oat bran--whatever I had on hand.

I agee with @parent above, that the best muffins are made with buttermilk (or yogurt which is what I use because I always have it on hand).  And for a recipe with 2 c. (or so) of flour, I generally use 1/3c. sugar in the batter and sprinkle a little on top (like demerara sugar or cinnamon sugar).  

• Like 1