Menu

Host family gift?

dirty ethel rackham

Dd19 leaves in less than a week for her study abroad program in Spain.  While I am working hard on coming to terms with her being so far away, I am working on helping her with packing and all the details.  It just occurred to me that she might want to bring a gift for her host family.  Any ideas of something that will be easily transported?  She is limited to 1 big suitcase, one carry on bag and one personal item.  We are from the Chicago 'burbs.    

• Spices or spice blends that are unique to the States or to Chicago?  (Chilli powder, maybe?)
  • Popcorn (since there's a lot of corn in the Midwest)
  • A variety of American Chocolates and/or Snacks and/or candy. (Cracker Jack?  Nerds, pop rocks ... what other odd candy do we create here?)
  • California Wine
  • Something related to a Chicago professional sports team
  • Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza. 😂
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Cool ideas.  We have some Fannie Mae candy that we can send along.  Uno is one of our family's favorite games so we could bring the game and print off some of the more interesting rule variations in Spanish.  Maybe a jar of our favorite chili seasoning and dh's recipe for chili and cornbread.  

you might pack enough cornmeal for your recipe; I don't know if cornmeal is easily found overseas.  Along those same lines .... you could pack a jar of Peanut Butter; not exactly glamours though. 😄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

you might pack enough cornmeal for your recipe; I don't know if cornmeal is easily found overseas.  Along those same lines .... you could pack a jar of Peanut Butter; not exactly glamours though. 😄

We decided to pack a homemade cornbread mix where they would only add the milk (or buttermilk), eggs, and fat.  

• Like 3

How long will your daughter be there? When we hosted a Japanese exchange student (for an entire school year), she brought a lovely box (covered in washi paper), filled with decorated cookies.  (the American equivalent might be a tin of toll house cookies). She also brought a lovely photo book of Japanese landmarks (paperback, so not to heavy), and some brochures of places to see in her home prefecture (state). My favorite was a small photo album she created, with pictures of her family, doing things they like to do.