Menu

I hate fitness centers. JAWM

Murphy101

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

What did moms do before gyms existed, do you think? It's not the only form or exercise that is available. Lots o women do videos at home, walk outside, etc. You sound like you've painted yourself into a corner with your life and now you're frustrated. 

I literally started the thread by noting I was frustrated with my options in gyms and my home limits. But thanks for restating the obvious.

Most women didn’t exercise much before gyms, or not in any form that we would consider helpful by today’s standards.  The health data in this country suggests that many women aren’t much different today.  For lots of valid reasons that are ignored and attributed to them just not being able to think smart enough or be motivated enough. 

At first, I was more confused than nerved by your comments, but now here I am thoroughly nerved at being told I’m just not being creative enough or prioritizing right.  You sound like you’ve decided my needs are silly and annoying to you - I guess I’m sorry about that, but seriously, I could not have been more forthright about things in the OP. 

7 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I literally started the thread by noting I was frustrated with my options in gyms and my home limits. But thanks for restating the obvious.

Most women didn’t exercise much before gyms, or not in any form that we would consider helpful by today’s standards.  The health data in this country suggests that many women aren’t much different today.  For lots of valid reasons that are ignored and attributed to them just not being able to think smart enough or be motivated enough. 

At first, I was more confused than nerved by your comments, but now here I am thoroughly nerved at being told I’m just not being creative enough or prioritizing right.  You sound like you’ve decided my needs are silly and annoying to you - I guess I’m sorry about that, but seriously, I could not have been more forthright about things in the OP. 

I'm happy I provided you with more opportunity to vent, at least. Hope it helps and good luck in your quest! 

After thinking about this a bit more, would you consider leading a class? Seriously, you’d be a plus to the gym. You’re willing to arrive early and you’ve lost a lot of weight. I would think many people would prefer someone like you. Plus, you could set your workout days, probably not have to pay dues and maybe even get some travel money. Just planting a seed for you to consider!

You know some seasons it is just harder to get in time. Fall is always horrible for me, we are busy, I have nasty allergies. I have my minimum level of exercise I aim for each week and where I would like to hit. I aim to not be at that minimum level for too long but not stress too bad when I am there. This fall I had allergy issues, the flu, and then a season of crazy busyness. I totally missed a week of exercise b/c the flu, then there were some weeks to get back energy and then to get more time. Towards the end of October I had more time and energy and was able to ramp back up, it felt great after keeping it low key for awhile. 

Winter might be a season of cutting back and maintenance for you. 

Or maybe better gear so you can be outside more? Noise cancelling headphones for the gym? Maybe there are more gyms to check out in your area, maybe some little ones that might fit your needs better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeachGal said:

After thinking about this a bit more, would you consider leading a class? Seriously, you’d be a plus to the gym. You’re willing to arrive early and you’ve lost a lot of weight. I would think many people would prefer someone like you. Plus, you could set your workout days, probably not have to pay dues and maybe even get some travel money. Just planting a seed for you to consider!

That would be super fun!  I’d go all Leslie Sansone on them.  “I’m so glad to see you! Let’s walk! Who cares about timing! If you can’t keep up - I don’t care! Just MOVE!”😁

• Like 1

I agree with you!

Actually, I have almost zero experience.  But if I should be feeling bad about living in rural area where a fitness center isn’t an option, I will remember your thread and feel grateful to you for showing me that the grass is not green on that side of the fence 😃

• Like 1

I had a couple thoughts.  

1.  When you looked around the gym and saw all men, is it possible that they have a women's gym?  My gyms have a separate private area for women only that you can't see in the main part of the building.  It's quieter, smaller, more peaceful, and not filled with people who look like a model for active wear.  

2. Do you have a friend that is especially fitness conscious?  One of those scheduley people who, for $10 a day, will come to your house and force you to work out with them?

I'm pretty bad at exercising alone, so I tend to do evening classes when DH is home.  If I'm honest, I'm only able to make myself go to every class because I teach them. 😬 I HAVE a home dance studio, but I use it more for teaching classes than I do for my own personal rehearsal time.  It's something I'm always working on.  I refuse to just throw up my hands because I KNOW that people who are busier than me DO make time for their personal workouts.  I think I need a mindless cardio machine that doesn't plug into anything that I can easily slide out of my dance space during classes.  Dancing alone isn't doing the trick anymore. 😕