Menu

I hate fitness centers. JAWM

Murphy101

I’m really struggling with keeping my exercise routine with the cold weather. I hates it and my hands hurt even with good gloves. I thought I’d look into a month to month gym membership for the next 3-4 months.  Am I the only person on the planet that wants basic customer service and hygiene and a peaceful environment to workout in?  I went to 5 gyms today.

3 were very clean, so points there.

1 was nasty. The pool was green and the equipment looked in maintained. *shudder* 

All were super LOUD with blaring music, harsh fluorescent lighting, and had big wall TVs everywhere. 

All had no concept of customer service.

Can we tour?  No we don’t have anyone here to do tours outside of 9-4 hours? 

IMNSHO if you want business outside those hours, then you offer services outside those hours. 

Car salesmanship memberships. How much is membership? Do you have a month to month no contract option? Oh sure! We have a 12 month plan and an 18 month plan.  Um. That’s literally the opposite of what I asked? Well let’s talk and I’ll see what deal I can find for you... Ugh. No thanks.

And the kicker winning comment was a snotty dismissive, “We find that anyone motivated to lose weight and get fit will make time during normal business hours.” Then why say they are a full service 24 hr gym?! Oh that gal can kiss my no where near as plump as it used to be right butt cheek.

I want a clean gym that’s peaceful/low sensory stress, opens at 5 and still open until 10 or 11pm, and has a clear cut no BS monthly fee less than $75 a month.  I just want to put my earbuds in and listen to an audio book or whatever at a reasonable decibel and leave an hour later.  It was so loud in these gyms that I could feel the base thumping through the floor and walls.

Apparently that doesn’t exist in my part of the country.

I know this is dumb and whiny and no one really has to agree with me but this is what I’m looking for and can’t find so I’m frustrated.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

I hear ya.  I am a gym rat.  I go nearly every day.  90% of the people working out on the equipment are wearing earbuds, so why the loud music?  Why the heck are their 3 televisions with sound in the changing room that includes the piped in music?

This year, we were offered a program through work that allows me to go to most of the gyms in my area for $25/mo.  I love it because I can pick and choose the best teachers/classes I can find.  I never work out on any of the equipment because I find it so boring.  So, I go to the classes and stay the entire hour.  I find the music in the gyms and many of the classes just miserable.  I have to wear earplugs in some classes.  I need better earplugs.  OTOH, I know I am in the minority.  Most people in the classes enjoy the music.  I don't know why the teachers feel the need to have music louder than their voices.  Which do you think I'm going to hear - the loud music or the softer voice?

Oooh.  Look what you made me do, what you made me do, oooh.

Blah, blah, blah, shut up and dance with me.

I'm in love with your body.  Blech.

I wanna ask the teachers why they want to share some of those songs...

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 3

I’m sorry.  The gym I go to is like what you’re looking for, except they do play loud music during the exercise classes.  DH joined one that is and ritzy and overwhelming.  He asked if i wanted to join it too and I said, “Nope.”. I don’t like it and the daycare is about $3/hr per kid.  My gym has free daycare for all of them under 12..

And another thing - why the heck are all the classes scheduled either between 7:30 and 9am or between 4:30 and 6:30pm?

I do not know any mom at all irl who can manage anything other than get kids to/from school and self to work during those hours. Not a single one. I didn’t complain about this bc I wasn’t even interested in most classes. I’d be curious to give either yoga or Pilates a try but whatever. But every place was all “we have these amazing classses!” And I’d ask what times and then say that won’t work because I have kids and need to be home by 7:30 and every single one said in a very confused manner, “oh I don’t have kids.🤷‍♀️“ After the third place I finally said something like, “You know I’m looking around your gym and seeing that a disproportionate number are men. Maybe if your gym considered how many women are working mothers, who sadly but typically carry the carpool load, they’d have more women here?”

Seriously. This is why America is fat. It is no where near as easy to access healthy options as some may think.  It’s ridiculous how simple things can seem overwhelmingly frustrating. 

I really don’t want to drop several hundred dollars on one machine that I know for a fact I won’t use 9/12ths of the year. But if comes to that vs high stress ear deafening possible biohazard - well sounds like money well spent when I think of it like that.  

Bah. Humbug. 😆

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Frances said:

What about your local hospital? Some here allow non employee memberships, are open 24/7, and play no music. And they are very clean. There’s no way I could handle the sensory input you are describing.

Sadly that’s not an option either. 

Have you looked into any local churches that might have a community center/gym?

Dh and I pay an annual membership fee (which is cheap) to a local one we don't attend just for the indoor track and equipment during the cold months. No music or craziness and it's only a few minutes away.

21 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

And another thing - why the heck are all the classes scheduled either between 7:30 and 9am or between 4:30 and 6:30pm?

I do not know any mom at all irl who can manage anything other than get kids to/from school and self to work during those hours. Not a single one. I didn’t complain about this bc I wasn’t even interested in most classes. I’d be curious to give either yoga or Pilates a try but whatever. But every place was all “we have these amazing classses!” And I’d ask what times and then say that won’t work because I have kids and need to be home by 7:30 and every single one said in a very confused manner, “oh I don’t have kids.🤷‍♀️“ After the third place I finally said something like, “You know I’m looking around your gym and seeing that a disproportionate number are men. Maybe if your gym considered how many women are working mothers, who sadly but typically carry the carpool load, they’d have more women here?”

Seriously. This is why America is fat. It is no where near as easy to access healthy options as some may think.  It’s ridiculous how simple things can seem overwhelmingly frustrating. 

I really don’t want to drop several hundred dollars on one machine that I know for a fact I won’t use 9/12ths of the year. But if comes to that vs high stress ear deafening possible biohazard - well sounds like money well spent when I think of it like that.  

Bah. Humbug. 😆

Preach it!

What about Planet Fitness? I think it's $10 a month and they are open 24/7.  I don't know about the loud music, though. 

I'd love to take a yoga class, but like you found out, they all start at times that don't work.  I can't do yoga at 6pm. Husband doesn't even get home from work until 5:45. 

• Like 3

I am sorry you are having such a hard time finding something, that must be very frustrating.

I tried a couple gyms before joining planet fitness.  I like it ok, I am not a huge fan of gyms but they meet my needs.  They do play music, but I can put in my earbuds and listen to my stuff and don't notice the noise.  It is also kept really clean.  I see them cleaning pretty much every time I am there.  I am not sure about classes, since I don't do them.  I prefer to just go and do my own thing and then go home.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

What about Planet Fitness? I think it's $10 a month and they are open 24/7.  I don't know about the loud music, though. 

I'd love to take a yoga class, but like you found out, they all start at times that don't work.  I can't do yoga at 6pm. Husband doesn't even get home from work until 5:45. 

I went to Planetfitness, genesis, 10gym, sky fitness, and lifetime. Now I’ll give lifetime credit for meeting all my needs but holy moly, they are crazy expensive at $100+ a month for one person and one of the furthest to drive to.  SkyFitness told me they couldn’t even give me a tour bc their “concierge” had left for the day (3 in the afternoon on a Saturday btw).  They also had a line of people trying to get in that, even though they had scan badges to swipe in, they had to hand their badge to the gal at the counter for her to swipe each of them in. Just - why? What’s the point of the swipe badge if you still have to wait in line to have a third party swipe it?

All the irrational human rigamarole I saw at these places did make me super happy to be unemployed, so I’ve got that going for me. 😆

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Loowit said:

I am sorry you are having such a hard time finding something, that must be very frustrating.

I tried a couple gyms before joining planet fitness.  I like it ok, I am not a huge fan of gyms but they meet my needs.  They do play music, but I can put in my earbuds and listen to my stuff and don't notice the noise.  It is also kept really clean.  I see them cleaning pretty much every time I am there.  I am not sure about classes, since I don't do them.  I prefer to just go and do my own thing and then go home.

I can’t imagine how loud I’d have to turn my earbuds to drown out the noise. And it’s not just the noise. I can’t imagine having a wall of big tv screens all playing different things flashing directly in front of me for 30-60 minutes without being able to understand why some people have seizures. 

I use this exercise bike for aerobics and intervals. It’s about $130, doesn’t run on electricity, and is almost silent when in use. It’s very quiet. I’ve had mine for over 5 years. Great bike. You can probably even find it for less.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S7PSKLV/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?pd_rd_i=B07S7PSKLV&pd_rd_w=7p3K6&pf_rd_p=c83c55b0-5d97-454a-a592-a891098a9709&pd_rd_wg=j5Pot&pf_rd_r=CP2HM3VV88TYGDTHWDNR&pd_rd_r=ce23f94a-12eb-4e2f-8abd-0688e59329cd&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQ1AyRDRHV0FVNjhWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjQ0OTQyVVNGOFI2V0xRM09FJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzODI4NDYxNzZKTElEQUtaVUNPJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I don't think this is dumb OR whiny. I think you've identified a very real gap in the market that these places ought to be taking advantage of, and it's frustrating that they're so incredibly resistant to improving their own bottom line.

I feel very lucky to be able to use a university gym that has fairly low level music, and tellies with the sound off.

I am waging a continual campaign with them to ensure that they schedule classes at a time when 9-5 university workers can attend. I don't seem to be doing much good though: from 8 December to the end of January, there is not a single yoga or Pilates class I can attend without asking my colleagues to help me swing my shift. Maddening.

If you really enjoy being outdoors, but cold hands are holding you back, then invest in a pair of really warm mittens. I LOVE being outdoors, and would much rather be outside walking, hiking, snowshoeing than stuck inside a smelly, loud room. It's free, you can add variety to where you walk and with whom, it's good for vit D, the smells of the outdoors is good for endorphins (Japan has walking trails with evergreen trees designed specifically for the amazing smells). You can add in upper-body resistance training by using ski/nordic walking poles, hand weights, groceries. 😉

My fingers are prone to frost bite, so I've made a point of keeping them warm. Gloves are not the best way to keep your hands warm. If you want to really rock it with warm hands, goose down mittens are a great option. You should be able to find something on-line.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

ITA- gyms need to be clean and I don't care for loud music and no thank you on 12 month membership deals. 

I used to go to Planet Fitness with my mom, it was unbelievably annoying that someone has to scan your card for you, when there is a scanner, it bothered me more than it should have.

BUT I also understand why gyms don't have someone there 24/7 to give tours, gyms lose their ass as it is, hiring staff for extended time costs even more money. 

I've also seen how classes play out in time periods that are not morning or evening. People say they want classes but when they are offered no one shows up. The only classes daytime that have made around here are quick lunch time classes. In big cities there might be enough demand to sustain classes at odd hours but for plenty of places there are just not enough people showing up to justify it. They started a new class at my gym, the exact kind and time people said they wanted, the first couple of weeks there were a ton of people after that it has been highly sporadic, I won't be shocked if it gets dropped. My gym has classes at Mon-Friday 5 am, 9 am, 12pm, 5:30 pm and 6:30 pm. They did have a Saturday class but not enough showed up so it was dropped. Around here it is mostly moms (and some dads) that take fitness classes in those times, very few young people attend any classes. 

I picked my current gym mostly due to its proximity, it is next door to where my kids do TKD, so I have gym time built into my schedule. It is fairly clean, not as clean as Planet Fitness but clean enough for me. There are tvs but no sound(you have to wear headphones) and there is music but it is not overly loud unless they are doing the one class(which is just 20 minutes once a week that I'm there). You can enter the gym 24/7 but they only have staff working until 6 or 7- Mon- Fri and half-day Saturday.  

Also, I get a discount to the gym through dh's job, most of the gyms have deals with all the big employers that subsidizes membership. I only pay $8 a month, I think it is usually around $30 for an individual membership but they just had a black Friday special that worked out to around $15 a month.

Honestly though if I was just going to do cardio and I wasn't already in town right next to a gym I'd buy some type of cardio equipment. I use gym time to lift weights as I don't have that many at home (or the space for them). I do walk and jog on the treadmill some if I have extra time but mostly I do cardio inside at home (BeachBody on demand) or outside.

• Like 2

Another thought-check senior centers. My mother has a fitness membership to one that would absolutely tick all your boxes. You can become a member after a set age or if you have a doctor’s prescription (and, based on who was there, are at least middle aged. I didn’t see any 20 yr olds with super firm bodies!). They also do physical therapy, etc, so the fitness equipment, pools, etc are used for therapy clients, and most of the staff/trainers are there to help work through prescribed exercises. There are TV’s, but they are volume off and captioning on, and some of the machines have a headphones port and you can select an audio track for a tv monitor if you want to hear it, like on an airplane.  

We recently joined a Planet Fitness.  It's right across the street from dd's TKD dojo so dh, ds and I go while dd is at TKD.   

Ours has music playing but it's not very loud.  I can't hear it with my earbuds in, even if my music isn't turned on yet.  The tvs also have no sound, you have to plug into one of the machines to hear them.  I don't find them hard to ignore.  I usually read and/or listen to my own music.   Ours also has a small room downstairs by the locker rooms with stretching machines, some free weights, mats, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes (just a few of each) and only a couple tvs.  It's a quieter, less crowded place to work out.    They also have a 30 minute circuit that is usually pretty quiet and no tvs or anything in that area.  

We joined because of the proximity to tkd, and because it was a lot cheaper than our local Y.    Ds has the big membership where he can bring a guest, so dh comes as his guest when he can.  I have my own cheap membership.

I would rotate treadmill/ellipticals and weight machines. I’d give yoga or Pilates a try if I had the chance.

I have my walk away the pounds DVDs at home but I find whether I like it or not, if I don’t work out at 5am, I don’t work out at all. And lately it’s impossible to workout without waking people and or being constantly interrupted. So the best strategy is to just roll out of bed at 4:45 and leave ASAP. If I have the chance and the r kids are in bed, I’ll grab a second walk or workout. But I’m usually home by 10 or 11.

3 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

We have community centers - usually near ir including the community pool - run by the city or county. Anything like that available?

The senior centers are 65+ only.

None of the community centers have anything outside of 9-6pm. I have seen mentioned some things to improve our town to the council and some are being implemented in 10/20 year plans. Bike lanes and paths throughout town that connect to the city paths, more sidewalks, some kind of shuttle or even a trolley. But I haven’t seen extended hours are centers or more fitness options. Yet. Truth is until they have more transport options and a downtown that is open past 6pm, it’s unlikely. And they want to avoid the city problems. In the city, the parks and centers open more hours tend to attract an unsavory demographic that discourages people like me from using the facilities. 

Google to see if you have any Christian Gyms (not a company name, just general search) in your area. Sometimes they are more what you are looking for. Also, see if any of the country clubs have decent rates in your area. There is one nearby that for about $100 mo you can get a family membership and they have a lot of adults/kids classes, pool and other immensity for the family.  They have daytime classes at ours. Maybe more $$ than you want to spend, but you get more family options too. 

I used to love Planet Fitness.  I wish there were one in my area.

Also, I'm not sure why a church would have a fitness center or gym?  I thought the purpose of a church was for the religious group-worship of it's members, not to compete with businesses in the community with an unfair tax exemption?

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I would rotate treadmill/ellipticals and weight machines. I’d give yoga or Pilates a try if I had the chance.

I have my walk away the pounds DVDs at home but I find whether I like it or not, if I don’t work out at 5am, I don’t work out at all. And lately it’s impossible to workout without waking people and or being constantly interrupted. So the best strategy is to just roll out of bed at 4:45 and leave ASAP. If I have the chance and the r kids are in bed, I’ll grab a second walk or workout. But I’m usually home by 10 or 11.

I can understand your sentiment about wanting to get in your exercise earlier in the day because you are putting everyone else's needs above your own. However, if there are no options for you outside the home, then look deeply at why YOUR NEEDS are last on the list? If your health suffers then the household will likely collapse. 

Just a thought.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Does your local YMCA offer seasonal memberships? It might be a much nicer atmosphere for you.

I big puffy heart love my YMCA. It’s all old people, nothing blaring, classes where everyone is welcome, clean, reasonably priced, I could go on...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I can understand your sentiment about wanting to get in your exercise earlier in the day because you are putting everyone else's needs above your own. However, if there are no options for you outside the home, then look deeply at why YOUR NEEDS are last on the list? If your health suffers then the household will likely collapse. 

Just a thought.

My needs are not last. They are literally first and last on my list. Hence the 5 am and 9pm workouts. Hence the separate meal planning for myself. But even if they were last - sometimes that’s life and there’s nothing wrong with it.

Part of my needs are being the mom my kids need, the friend my friends need, the daughter of God He calls me to be, a college student and a wife... and currently that means if I also want to maintain my health and personal interests  - my butt has to crawl out of bed at 4:45/5am so that I can workout, shower, eat a proper breakfast, savor some black coffee, get kids up and make it to mass by 8:30, get home and start our schooling and whatever else needs done in the day. And if the kids were in school and or I had a typical 8-5 job? I’d have to do the same thing.  I’ve often commented I have no idea how 2 income households Or single moms get anything else done. It’s just life until they figure out a way to add a few hours to each day and a few days to each week. 

I’m not going to say my needs come last when I just spent 10 days on a girls only vacation to Curacao with my best friends right before Thanksgiving and I just set aside all my HeathyWage winnings towards another adults only trip this spring. While it might be early or late in the day, it’s still 2-3 hours per day that I’m spending for and by myself, plus about 3 weeks a year.  Certainly I wouldn’t have been able to do this 10 year ago, but now I can and have no problem taking full advantage of the chance.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

My needs are not last. They are literally first and last on my list. Hence the 5 am and 9pm workouts. Hence the separate meal planning for myself. But even if they were last - sometimes that’s life and there’s nothing wrong with it.

Part of my needs are being the mom my kids need, the friend my friends need, the daughter of God He calls me to be, a college student and a wife... and currently that means if I also want to maintain my health and personal interests  - my butt has to crawl out of bed at 4:45/5am so that I can workout, shower, eat a proper breakfast, savor some black coffee, get kids up and make it to mass by 8:30, get home and start our schooling and whatever else needs done in the day. And if the kids were in school and or I had a typical 8-5 job? I’d have to do the same thing.  I’ve often commented I have no idea how 2 income households Or single moms get anything else done. It’s just life until they figure out a way to add a few hours to each day and a few days to each week. 

I’m not going to say my needs come last when I just spent 10 days on a girls only vacation to Curacao with my best friends right before Thanksgiving and I just set aside all my HeathyWage winnings towards another adults only trip this spring. While it might be early or late in the day, it’s still 2-3 hours per day that I’m spending for and by myself, plus about 3 weeks a year.  Certainly I wouldn’t have been able to do this 10 year ago, but now I can and have no problem taking full advantage of the chance.  

Sorry I touched a nerve. It was not my intention. I don't know anything about you other than you say you can't run on the 'mill because your dc are asleep. I gather you have asked your dh to look after the dc while you go exercise? Or is there some obvious (to you)  reason you can't do that?

Edited by wintermom

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Sorry I touched a nerve. It was not my intention. 

😁 You truly did not touch a nerve so much as flip my confusion over irrational humans. I keep hearing people say OMG they just couldn’t get up that early or go on a vacay without dh/dc or meet with friends for coffee or find time to knit or or And I’m fine with other people feeling that way for whatever reason. But truth is if I want to do these things then making them happen around daily life is kind of the only way to make them happen at all.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Sorry I touched a nerve. It was not my intention. I don't know anything about you other than you say you can't run on the 'mill because your dc are asleep. I gather you have asked your dh to look after the dc while you go exercise? Or is there some obvious (to you)  reason you can't do that?

I suppose it does come down to my unwillingness to wake the entire household up at 5am. Our living room has one of those stupid vaulted ceilings that the entire upstairs overlooks and the acoustics turn it into a stage theatre.  I can’t think of anywhere else I could put equipment that has a large enough space.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

I think my gym has most of it's classes outside of bankers hours.  It's a really weird business model for a gym's classes to be mainly 9-5.  Are they filling them? 

Maybe you'd be happier if you just bought a treadmill or elliptical for your home?  You could probably get a really good price on a used one and it would save you aggravation and commute time.

I have basically cried uncle on regular gyms and classes.  If I were one of those people who could manage to get themselves to exercise at home, I would do that.  But I'm not - no amount of "just do it" seems to work.  So I finally joined a place that has classes 8x a day.  5am to 7pm and everything in between.  So many times that I can always fit one in.  And it's close (the nearest gym with cheap membership aka Planet Fitness is a half an hour away.  Not ever going to go - know myself).  It's more expensive, but with the unlimited membership (which is month to month, not yearly)  it comes down to less than $8 for a 1-hour for class for the number of times I go, which is actually much cheaper than I was paying per class for yoga/pilates (but with limited class times, I could only ever manage 1-2x/week for those).  So that's how I'm rationalizing the higher monthly fee...

That kind of thing probably wouldn't work for the OP, though, as it does have loudish music - the instructors are miked, so we can still hear them, but it's not quiet.  It does seem to be fitting some kind of gap in the market, though, as the classes are all pretty well attended, even with all those times.

OP, I know this is a JAWM, but possibly you could try the free Fitness blender videos until you find a gym you like. There are some that you don't need any equipment for. I love the calendar function. You can buy workout plans from them if you don't want to design your own. 

I used to go to the gym but I find I really enjoy working out at home because it is a quiet space for me. It doesn't work for everyone because not everybody has space or kids (and pets?) that leave you alone. 😃 

Like the YMCA, the JCC is another option if you have one nearby.

Gyms are... yeah. Not good. I'm especially affronted that someone fat shamed you as part of you doing a basic inquiry about the gym. I have words about that which I'm not allowed to post on this forum.

59 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Like the YMCA, the JCC is another option if you have one nearby.

Gyms are... yeah. Not good. I'm especially affronted that someone fat shamed you as part of you doing a basic inquiry about the gym. I have words about that which I'm not allowed to post on this forum.

I have no idea what JCC is?

8 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

And you do not have to be Jewish to use it. Sort of like you don't have to be Catholic to use Catholic Charities. A JCC might be an awesome option. 

dadnabit.  It would be! But it’s minimum 30 minutes away.  I don’t think I can manage the traffic issue.

21 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

😁 You truly did not touch a nerve so much as flip my confusion over irrational humans. I keep hearing people say OMG they just couldn’t get up that early or go on a vacay without dh/dc or meet with friends for coffee or find time to knit or or And I’m fine with other people feeling that way for whatever reason. But truth is if I want to do these things then making them happen around daily life is kind of the only way to make them happen at all.

I get it. Seems like you may need to think a little more creatively, though. It sounds like you have a firm idea about what you want to make work, and it's not as easy as you hoped.

7 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

LOL. So. Just my normal life.

Pretty much every mom has to be creative to get things done, right? When we become homeschool moms we get accustom to having more control over things, but we still meet up with the reality of things we have no control over.  I believe that there's a book entitled, "Don't sweat the small stuff..." or something like that. If there isn't already big stuff to sweat, there probably will be soon. 😉

38 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Pretty much every mom has to be creative to get things done, right? When we become homeschool moms we get accustom to having more control over things, but we still meet up with the reality of things we have no control over.  I believe that there's a book entitled, "Don't sweat the small stuff..." or something like that. If there isn't already big stuff to sweat, there probably will be soon. 😉

Well sure but sometimes the frustrating realistic answer is “SOL”.

There’s only so much that can be scheduled in the work week and I’m unlikely to subject myself to sensory hell 5 days a week.  So sure this is small stuff, but the practical reality is that I won’t be small stuff if I can’t find an alternative. 😆

48 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Well sure but sometimes the frustrating realistic answer is “SOL”.

There’s only so much that can be scheduled in the work week and I’m unlikely to subject myself to sensory hell 5 days a week.  So sure this is small stuff, but the practical reality is that I won’t be small stuff if I can’t find an alternative. 😆

What did moms do before gyms existed, do you think? It's not the only form or exercise that is available. Lots o women do videos at home, walk outside, etc. You sound like you've painted yourself into a corner with your life and now you're frustrated.