Menu

2nd grade math help please

lulalu

We have used Miquon in Kinder and 1st and still using it in 2nd. DS loves it- I think because it is one page not too crowded and he gets to play with the rods. We want to keep this as a supplement, but as the main program it isn't working well. 

This year I tried MEP yr 2. But I just really can't teach it. This is the second time I have tried it. I don't know why but I just don't like the lesson plans. And the workbook pages are too crowded for ds. It isn't just an easy open and go I do need to look through it before hand. And I just don't have that time right now. 

I need something that is a little more self directed. Even if I need to use it a level behind. DS loves math. Right now ds and I are both taking language lessons from a tutor for hours each day. So we get about 1.5 hours of school in the morning and 1.5 hours after language (but we are both tried by then). 

I want to keep using Miquon and we use RightStart games. But I need something easier to give him to get started on while I am doing language. Maybe something where once or twice a week I introduce and work on a concept. But the other days he can work mostly alone. Nothing on the computer. 

Math Mammoth? CLE? Rod and Staff? 

What would you all suggest? 

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Have you looked at Math Reasoning  by Critical Thinking Co.? We are using it as a supplement along with Saxon. We are calling it Fun-math as they can do it without much direct guidance from me.

you can view sample pages here https://www.criticalthinking.com/mathematical-reasoning.html

Thanks. I haven't looked into it before. 

I was going to suggest TGTB until I saw the part about self directed. For that, plus the not crowded pages, etc I would highly suggest checking out Math Lessons for a Living Education. Definitely the kind of thing you can get them started on and then they can do it while you are doing other stuff. And less problems per day/page than many programs. I do think it is a bit behind in the beginning, more a gentle ramp up than other programs. For a struggling student I don't think it would be enough practice but for a math kid, who will get more practice with games and such, would be great. https://www.masterbooks.com/math-lessons-for-a-living-education-level-2

CLE is also designed that way where you teach the beginning and then they work on their own for the review part but has a LOT more work, so might overwhelm him. 

• Like 1

If you wanted just extra practice, MEP can work well when it's modified.  When we got to the point where we just needed a little, I would print the pages single sided and cut out sections to paste in a graph paper notebook.  I had him use the classroom masters instead of the small activity page for the puzzles, too.

• Like 1

I recommend Math Mammoth .

It is written directly to the student. 

Other thing about Math Mammoth.... It is taught in a very no nonsense way . No cartoon .. no colours no nothing.

Math is Math... there is no point pretending to make the subject interesting by some other means than what it is. 

Whatever I am in my life is due to Math. I was not very good in Physics... Chemistry so so... Math made my way to Engineering and I can relate to MM as if my childhood teachers are teaching me...

Only thing you need to be bit careful that there is a lots and lots of exercise. If the kid feel confident only with a few, you can safely skip some...

Edited by Asker123
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Asker123 said:

I recommend Math Mammoth .

It is written directly to the student. 

Other thing about Math Mammoth.... It is taught in a very no nonsense way . No cartoon .. no colours no nothing.

Math is Math... there is no point pretending to make the subject interesting by some other means than what it is. 

Whatever I am in my life is due to Math. I was not very good in Physics... Chemistry so so... Math made my way to Engineering and I can relate to MM as if my childhood teachers are teaching me...

Only thing you need to be bit careful that there is a lots and lots of exercise. If the kid feel confident only with a few, you can safely skip some...

Yeah, I like both MM and CLE for different reasons, but neither is very conducive for someone who wants to add in a lot of math supplementation as well. They just take too long, IMO, to have the child do that and then add in MORE stuff with Right Start, Miquon, etc on top of it. 

For that, MLFLE is short enough that it is easily used with supplementation. It leaves room to add in extras. 

• Like 1

The second grade R&S arithmetic is not completely self directed; that doesn't happen until the fourth grade text. But the second grade only takes about 5 or 10 minutes of your time, and then your dc would do the seatwork on his own. There are also blackline masters (you're supposed to photocopy the ones you want) for 2nd, which are optional but which do provide for extra practice that is different from the seatwork, and some concepts which are more advanced (don't ask me what those are--it's been a long time since I used it, lol). It includes a "1000s book:" a cute cover that your dc can color, and then he starts writing numerals up to 1000.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, square_25 said:

What’s not working about Miquon? Just that it’s not self-directed?

He loves Miquon and we will keep at it as we have all the books. 

But- he isn't able to do a lot on his own unless I have first spent time with him "playing" with the concepts. And there are sometimes big jumps between pages in a thread. He also needs more practice than Miquon alone. And because there are not instructions on what to do for pages he sometimes is lost unless I am right beside him. 

Most days we do three pages of Miquon and I rotate through the threads to give a change of topic. But sometimes it takes a lot of time other days not so much. 

4 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Yeah, I like both MM and CLE for different reasons, but neither is very conducive for someone who wants to add in a lot of math supplementation as well. They just take too long, IMO, to have the child do that and then add in MORE stuff with Right Start, Miquon, etc on top of it. 

For that, MLFLE is short enough that it is easily used with supplementation. It leaves room to add in extras. 

Yes this is what I don't want. I don't want too much work or too much going on. 

3 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Is there anything else you could change to being self-directed instead of math by any chance? I do understand scheduling constraints can be hard!

With our other work we are able to strike a balance well of me giving instruction then him working on his own. 

I don't need independent or totally self-directed math. But something where I can teach a concept and work some together. Then he have time to practice and work on it. And something that is a little more open and go. With Miquon there are concepts taught but all the worksheets in a thread can vary so much with the level.