Menu

Can you share a favorite audio book?

Alicia64

Well, I LOVE Min Jin Lee's Free Food for Millionaires and Pancheco. Both super great. Loved Eleanor Oliphant.

I also really like non-fiction: love Atomic Habits and the Power of Habits -- both incredible.

I like anything interesting having to do w/ history like the Help and the 100 year old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window.

I LOVE memoirs whether it's Kevin Hart or Julie Williams (a mom dying of cancer, but it's oddly not sad).

I like funny. Anything funny.

Alley

First, if your library has it , also get Hoopla if you can..    It gives more title options to have both.  

Further Adventures of the 100 year old man

Hitman Anders by same author (I haven’t read them yet but have hold on them) 

perhaps Mrs Pollifax mysteries?   Or A Nun in the Closet by Dorothy Gilman.  If they have it her memoir In Another Country is good imo

I liked: What the Heck Should I Eat 

also really liked Happiness is a Choice by Kaufman (sort of making Happiness itself a habit) but I don’t think it’s available as an Overdrive audiobook.   I’ve listened to both it and Atomic Habits multiple times and they both have been having an effect on my daily life (for the better). 

Humor is very personal, but I think Good Omens by Gaiman/Pratchett is funny.

And, not so funny, but I enjoyed Gaiman’s Neverwhere as a sort of children’s type book for adults.  

Also Pratchett’s Bromeliad Trilogy which may or may not be on Overdrive (or any audio) 

Murderbot ? 

Edited by Pen
Autocorrect corrections and an addition

HP read by Jim Dale. He also does an excellent version of A Christmas Carol! 

Huckleberry Finn read by Elijah Wood

seconding PG Wodehouse! 

Treasure Island read by Alfred Molina

The Hobbit, read by Rob Inglis

The Boys in the Boat, young reader edition, was good and so was Bomb. (Ds is enjoying a deep dive on WW2 here, so lots of middle grade non fiction. Some of it is excellent!)

• Like 1

Nonfiction:

- Spark

- The Happiness Project

- How Not To Die

- Aging with Grace

- Move Your DNA

Elizabeth by John Guy (biography of Elizabeth I)

- Bravelearner 

Fiction:

- Crazy Rice Asians

- The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter (and the rest of the series by Goss)

- The Adventures of Tom Sranger (hilarious, not child safe)

The Pillow Book, series by BBC

Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis, and the rest of the trilogy

- I Capture the Castle

- Dragon Teeth by Michael Creighton

- Norse Mythology by Gaiman

... there are many, but these are the stand-outs I've listened to this year.

(Following thread to see if I get any more ideas for myself) 

someone mentioned Neil Gaiman’s narration/voice, and I agree—that’s probably part of why I liked Neverwhere so much was his narration.  There have been several male narrators from Scotland where I love listening and will look for things they narrated and give them a try  (Graeme Malcolm — for example The Tale of Desperaux if you want to sample his voice — and a couple other names not coming to me right now...   but I think some of these others include some of the Scotland setting books by Alexander McCall Smith...  I prefer the Ladies Number One Detective Agency books, but love some of the Scottish readers—I find them soothing)

Looking at books still showing on my Hoopla account, and only mentioning ones I liked enough to finish, or to reorder so that I can finish (or reread) 

Audio:

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (fiction meant for kids, I think, but I enjoyed it)

Spark   By  ratey

Scattered Minds (re ADHD)

The Autoimmune Fix 

e-book:

Nutrient Power by Walsh  (not available audio afaik, but worthwhile ) 

Current on Libby (overdrive, but I don’t know if all Libraries get same books ? 🤷‍♀️ )

What the Heck Should I Eat

recent returns:

the whole Gate Mages series by Orson Scott Card which reminds me that a favorite audiobook is the several persons narrating it Audible of his

Ender’s Shadow   

and The President is Missing by Patterson which I didn’t actually get very far in, but will probably eventually get back and finish

Btw how did you get Overdrive into ipod? We have one but never did manage it!  We only recently got home DSL where it would be a significant help. But being able to load up IPod with books could be useful.

Edited by Pen

13 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

HP read by Jim Dale. He also does an excellent version of A Christmas Carol! 

Jim Dale also does the audio for the James Herriot Treasury for Children. His performance of “only one woof” comes to mind for me often.

If you’re a fan of the Outlander books then you’ll love the reader, Davina Porter. She does a wonderful job. Porter has also done several of the Sharon Shinn books in the “Samaria” series and a bunch of Marion Zimmer Bradley books.

I particularly love a performer named Luke Daniels, he read all nine of the Iron Druid Chronicles and I almost enjoy listening to him more than reading them myself.

• Like 1