Menu

Help me save physics

My son is a junior and taking Physics this year. I'd like to stick with algebra based physics and not conceptual, if possible, because of some of his college goals, but he will probably not be in a heavy math/science major. We are using Apologia 2nd edition and when he saw all the math he just started avoiding the work as much as possible. He can do the math, but he doesn't like math and he needs to do it slowly and carefully to understand it. I'm also at fault for not keeping tabs on the subject and assuming he was moving ahead just fine. I'm not in a position to buy a completely different curriculum, but I'd be willing to buy the Apologia video if it'll help him understand concepts better. Is the video useful? I think I may need to just work through the book with him problem by problem until he understands each concept, not worry about how much he has done at this point, and just get him moving forward. I'm not sure I even know what I'm asking for, but I'll take all the tips I can get to move him through physics.

My dd and I always felt the physics math problems on the test were harder than the examples in the book! I did have to work through each one when my dd did this course. If you have the time and inclination, that would be one way to "save" it. You could also do more "open book"--if a test doesn't go well, let him go back through the book to find the answers and try again. (unless it's just the math questions.) I remember that some levels of Apologia have a multiple choice test option, and you could contact Apologia to see if they still have those. 

If I remember correctly, some of the later modules are not quite as hard/math heavy...don't quote me on that though, but you might look ahead!

• Like 1

We use the GPS videos with it. I also make dd do both the Practice Problem and the Extra Practice problem sets. That’s what my ds has to do in an online class and it helped. If she is still missing problems, I sit with her and we try to figure out what she is not getting. 

• Like 1

You might also take a look at the Virtual Homeschool Group for the free AYOP (at-your-own-pace) physics materials.  It's set up to go with 1st or 2nd edition Apologia.  I haven't used this one, but my adult dc found the bio and chem materials helpful. 

Edited by klmama
  • Like 2

Dr Wile teaches online classes of his textbooks himself. He might not be able to start at this point in the year, but you never know. I have contacted Dr Wile on Facebook before and he always gets back to me within a day. They are pricey, but I would definitely have my kid take one if they were struggling with Apologia on their own!

• Like 1