Menu

#1 reason for infection transmission - (NOT handwashing)

gardenmom5

I thought this was really interesting. A pediatric oncologist was so concerned about infection rates in the hospital, she went and got a MS in architecture - then studied many data points.  she was really surprised by what she found.

and while it's not handwashing - it is just as simple to implement.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I've actually read this before.   I can't remember where though.  

It was on my mind yesterday and today because my newest grandchild is in the hospital for feeding issues.  I noticed that 1/ they had a humidistat in the room and 2/ it was at 20% !!!!  That was pretty shockingly low and my sinuses were on fire. 

today it was closer to 45% and much more comfortable.

But, A the Texan brings up a good point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincessMommy said:

I've actually read this before.   I can't remember where though.  

It was on my mind yesterday and today because my newest grandchild is in the hospital for feeding issues.  I noticed that 1/ they had a humidistat in the room and 2/ it was at 20% !!!!  That was pretty shockingly low and my sinuses were on fire. 

today it was closer to 45% and much more comfortable.

But, A the Texan brings up a good point.

Praying for your grandchild, Debbi!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My one question with this would be how they lower the risk of Legionnaires from improperly installed and/maintained systems. There was an outbreak of it this summer in multiple hospitals from the HVAC - get a humidifier and the right temp and there’s another vector there as well......

they had an outbreak of (i'm not sure what) in the operating rooms at our local children's hospital last summer.  An acquaintance's dd's heart surgery was postponed because she got sick, but the day before the surgery was scheduled they shut down all the ORs to sanitize the rooms.  (so it would have been postponed anyway.)

4 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Temporary NG or did they place a PEG/button?  Feeding issues stink for sure but even my total food aversive/dysphagia/muscle control fail kiddo is eating a fair bit by mouth after time and feeding therapy.  A tube can be wonderful for making life less stressful while approaching oral eating difficulties and overcoming them.

I do have to caution if it is an NG that those can sometimes make swallow/gag issues worse, as well as reflux.  Our gastroenterologist team really glossed over that and I wish they hadn’t, but it somewhat depends on why the tube was placed and what the long term prognosis is.  Feel free to PM me if you don’t want details public 🙂

Interesting.  It's temporary because of suspected reflux causing her to refuse feedings.  Although she doesn't all have the classic symptoms of reflux either.    Thank you.  I might if I get worried.

The difference between dry air an humid air, is that it effects the size of water droplets in the air.
When the droplets are smaller, they tend to keep floating in the air.
But with humidity at 40% and higher.  The water droplets are larger, and heavy enough to drop out of the air. Taking the bacteria/ viruses with them.
So that it prevents viruses/ bacteria in the air, from being breathed in.
It would be really helpful, if shopping malls maintained a 40% to 60% humidity, as it would help prevent the transmission of Flu viruses, when people cough.

• Like 2