Menu

Flu + Netflix

prairiewindmomma

I likely have the flu. Our neighbors have influenza B, and symptoms match. I am downing all of the things both herbal + allopathic to try to keep breathing but I am a couch zombie.

Netflix or Amazon Prime recommendations for happy stories with simple plot lines? I am getting lost trying to follow complex stories. I need it to not be MA-rated. My girls are busy with snap circuits and crafts but they are in ear shot all day. 

I have already finished off the new season of The Good Place.

• Sad 1

I don't know what kind of shows you like, but I just recently finished watching all 7 seasons of Star Trek Voyager (Netflix) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, it's Star Trek (which I grew up on...my dad loved the classic Star Trek!) so you have to roll with the "science," but it was a pretty simple plot and, with a few exceptions, happy fun to watch. And I had no problems with my youngest watching it, as opposed to TNG, which had several episodes that IMO ventured into a bit too adult-y territory in several episodes.

Another show I've enjoyed is The Good Witch (Netflix). Definitely fits the not too deep, happy, and simple plot lines requirement.

Psyche (Amazon) is loads of fun.

If TV-14 is ok, I'd also say Merlin ((Amazon) simple and funny, though it does have a bit of a sad series ending) and Warehouse 13 ((Amazon) not complicated that I can remember and it was funny).

Hope you feel better!

• Like 1

I always suggest Young Dracula and I can never get anybody to bite (hahaha). I don't know why... :biggrin: 

Don't watch Twilight Zone. That's what I did the first time I got pneumonia with the flu so I've always wondered if the negativity did it.

Maybe Julia Child episodes? I so could not stand that. 

Netflix has really ridiculous stuff like Trolls, the Frozen holiday short, Life of Pets 2, etc. Ds and I were watching the trailers tonight and he was so begging for me to subscribe. There's a completely worthless Spy Kids 4 movie that is even more ridiculous and worthless. And if you haven't seen the previous Spy Kids movies, then you'd have a series to keep you busy.

Sorry you're getting sick! Do you take turmeric? Can you ramp it up? I hope you beat it! 

• Like 1

Just now, PeterPan said:

I always suggest Young Dracula and I can never get anybody to bite (hahaha). I don't know why... :biggrin: 

Don't watch Twilight Zone. That's what I did the first time I got pneumonia with the flu so I've always wondered if the negativity did it.

Maybe Julia Child episodes? I so could not stand that. 

Netflix has really ridiculous stuff like Trolls, the Frozen holiday short, Life of Pets 2, etc. Ds and I were watching the trailers tonight and he was so begging for me to subscribe. There's a completely worthless Spy Kids 4 movie that is even more ridiculous and worthless. And if you haven't seen the previous Spy Kids movies, then you'd have a series to keep you busy.

Sorry you're getting sick! Do you take turmeric? Can you ramp it up? I hope you beat it! 

Is turmeric good for the immune system?

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Is turmeric good for the immune system?

Prairie has asthma. I do, and mine is mild enough that we got it under control with turmeric, which has a mildly anti-inflammatory property. I was having recurrent bronchitis/pneumonia and finally stared winning when we added turmeric to the mix (and dropped extremely stressful IEP fights, but who's talking stress, lol).

I take 1000mg of Jarrow tumeric a day. And fish oil. And magnesium (the good stuff).

I had to take albuterol tonight, so now I am jumpy and dealing with a racing heart. Super hoping I don’t have to get a prednisone shot. It works, but it would be year 3 in a row of needing a bailout in October.

I am currently rewatching The Crown. Kids are in bed and a new season comes out next month.

We watched Great British Bake-off earlier. 🙂 

Great British Bake-Off is always a favorite here

Schitt's Creek - it's rated MA, iirc, but it's entirely because of language - there's no gross content. Netflix

Corner Gas - canadian show on Amazon Prime

Kim's Convenience - another Canadian show - Season 1 is on Netflix ♥

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is on Netflix

• Like 1

Some I've enjoyed lately:
The Society - a bunch of teenagers go on a class trip and return to an empty town.  There's only one season currently but it ends decently and is well done.
Northern Rescue - family moves back to their hometown and end up living in an old aquarium.

• Like 1

Parks and Rec is a fun, not super heavy watch if you haven't done that series!  British Bake Off would be a great illness binge watch too.  Warning, you may be demanding your caretaker bake you cakes with rose and currants and creme pat.  😍  The Crown was amazing, but I"m not sure a first viewing would be great for illness.  I often rewatch something when I am sick and need something fairly mindless.

I hope you feel better soon!

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

I like watching Toddlers and Tiaras on Hulu 😂 It's so bad and dumb, but I love it. There are also a million episodes. You could get the free trial of Hulu and cancel it when you're healthy again! 

DH and I are almost all the way through the Brady Bunch on Hulu as well.