Menu

Plate silver in dishwasher?

Violet Crown

The question: Would you/ should I run silver plate flatware through the dishwasher?

The backstory: Noting the usual attrition of our (cheap, used) flatware -- I mean, who is eating the tablespoons and knives? where are they going? never mind -- I bought for $5 a big batch of flatware at the thrift store. Turns out most of it is silver plated. Nice. But I don't buy cheap-and-used to make more work for myself handwashing it. Thoughts welcome.

It depends how much you care about how it looks after washing.  I inherited a large lot of mixed silver plated utensils that weren't in mint condition to start with.  I put them in the dishwasher with stainless steel all the time, and even sometimes with aluminum pots.  The silver tarnishes.  I have decided that I don't care.  We've been doing this with the same set for at least 15 years.  If I cared to polish them up, I think they would look fine.

• Thanks 1

My mom always told me never never never to put silver in the dishwasher - NOT because of color change, but because it can cause pitting in the silver. I didn’t think it had anything to do with stainless sharing the dishwasher,  but about harsher soap?? Not 100% sure on the exact reason,  but I always handwash silver.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the further input. A follow-up question, though: the knives have plated handles but stainless steel blades. How does that work then? Handwashing is still not in my near future. Live with pitting/discoloration? Actually these are on the yellowish side anyway (still nicer-looking than what we have going right now ... yes my housekeeping is of that standard) so I wonder if dishwashing would really harm them much more. Maybe for Thanksgiving I'll try polishing them and shock everyone. Meanwhile I can put away the old stuff and run these through in splendid isolation.

13 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I might shame myself in the eyes of my fellow homeschoolers?

I shall avert my eyes and harrumph loudly when I see you. 

Oh, wait. I think I put thrift store plate in the dishwasher last night. We have the same issue of the mysteriously disappearing utensils. 

• Haha 2