Menu

I was so proud of my son today

lewelma

Kudos to your ds. Being a TA can be tough. Those students did no one any favors.....other students or the poor TA.

Something none of those students  considered is that grad students are the ones who actually write requested LOR for REUs, etc. (At least at Berkeley.....every requested letter was put on the TA for that section.) Huge plus for your ds!

• Like 5

:blink:  Nothing like being insulting right off the bat to someone who may hold your grade in his hands.  

Lewelma, your ds sounds like a wonderful young man.  Being in an environment where everyone is smart means he will stand out for his kindness and work ethic, which will likely open some doors for him.  People like to work with people they like to work with, KWIM?  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, I cannot say that I am surprised that K was appropriate, respectful, and kind, but good for him anyway.

I AM surprised that students would show such an appalling lack of respect toward their instructor. That is utterly reprehensible.

(Also, thank you for the info. Living in the sticks, I suspect that my student would be the type of student targeted for such a basic recitation-and she'd need it.  I'll just add this anecdote to my list of reasons for NOT applying to super selectives. My soft-hearted child, I suspect, would be eaten alive in a place like that. )

• Like 7

Well, I cannot say that I am surprised that K was appropriate, respectful, and kind, but good for him anyway.

Aw, thanks. He so enjoyed working with your dd. 

I AM surprised that students would show such an appalling lack of respect toward their instructor. That is utterly reprehensible.

Yes! My son thought so too! At MIT you can't get credit for Chem from an AP, you have to take the MIT final exam to place out, and it only has a 20% pass rate or something for the kids who try to get out of the class.  So a bunch of kids who have taken AP Chem will be in the class and know a bunch (but not all obviously) of the material. Clearly, these kids were thinking they shouldn't have to take the class, but WOW oh WOW do they need to learn some manners! If I had been the TA, I would have gone home and cried!

(Also, thank you for the info. Living in the sticks, I suspect that my student would be the type of student targeted for such a basic recitation-and she'd need it.  I'll just add this anecdote to my list of reasons for NOT applying to super selectives. My soft-hearted child, I suspect, would be eaten alive in a place like that. )

Just an FYI, I don't know about other schools, but MIT has a first year program for kids who want a non-traditional type of learning .  https://uaap.mit.edu/first-year-mit/freshman-advising/advising-options/learning-communities The ESG (Experimental study group) take all the same classes that the other kids take, but in small groups of only 10 kids (not a lecture hall of 500 like Intro Chem had). And these classes are discovery based, investigative style with project based grades, rather than here is a textbook and memorize everything for an exam.  A large percentage of the homeschoolers go into this program for the first year at MIT. I tried to convince DS to do it, because like why wouldn't you want very small class size with special attention from the professors etc.  But no, he wanted to jump in the deep end. So, make sure you check what each school has to offer, because I am sure that MIT is not the only school that recognizes that some students want to learn in a different way. 

• Like 5

Kudos to your son! He sounds mature, kind and wise beyond his years. I hope he continues to have a wonderful experience during his undergrad! It must be a challenge to be so far from home, navigating a different culture. If he ever wants to pop up to Ontario, we'd LOVE to show him around.

BTW, my son would have started the conversation with the TA with, "I'm sorry." It's the Canadian culture to appologize. 😁 I'm pretty sure Bianca appologized to Serena for beating her at the US Open. 

• Like 2