Menu

Disappointed in TPS Algebra 1– other class options?

We started our first class with TPS (Algebra 1) and I’m disappointed for a number of reasons. The classes are too long (90 mins/twice a week) and not much is covered, so it feels like a lot of wasted time. The teaching seems shallow. Perhaps it’s just the review but I don’t like the instructor’s explanations (encouraging simply using the algorithm instead of mentally doing it in steps, etc.). 

Anyone have ideas on what we could do instead? I feel like I’ve explored every option and this was supposed to be *we finally found it*. 

What we are looking for— a conceptual, engaging Algebra course that student can do independently, preferably with online teaching component where he can ask questions with an outside instructor rather than myself. I love math and can help but relationally he prefers me to not be the main teacher for math at this point. 

I wish my son was open to AoPS, as my oldest daughter has thrived with it, but unfortunately he thinks he hates it. I’m at a loss to find a suitable replacement. 

22 hours ago, SusanC said:

Have you looked at Derek Owens or myhomeschoolmathclass? Both have algebra, mhsmc has live, online classes if you need that. DO has tape delay classes with assistance available by email.

I like Derek Owens, but only with the self-grading option. It is half the price and he’ll give you an answer key. My ds tried myhomeschoolmathclass and what I found with it and every other class that is structured like it, is that it just isn’t a great setup for learning math for us. There was way more time spent on class time than doing problems. And doing problems, and lots of them, is what solidifies math skills here.

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 1

I’ve also used Lial’s with the videos with great success here. Some don’t like it because it’s not conceptual, rigorous enough, but it sure was great for my ds. He has rock solid math skills and a great number sense from all his years of Rod & Staff and then Lial’s. It was a perfect foundation for him. He earned an A in Business Calculus at college and he’s now studying to be a CPA. Might not be as good for someone who is headed towards engineering or the sciences and needs more focus on trig though since you only get trig in the precalculus book versus the initial exposure in algebra 2 that many programs offer. 

• Like 1

Derek Owens may be your best option for solid instruction.  Like Mom0012, we also prefer the self-check option - it's quicker, so the dc can get feedback sooner, and it's much less expensive.  You do have to ask to check it yourself - it's not an option when registering. 

The Lial text Introductory Algebra with videos is another good option, but Derek Owens is a lot more thorough in his explanations than the videos for Introductory Algebra.  The text has many, many problems, so there's a lot of practice.  We actually use it as a supplement to Derek Owens occasionally when dc needs more problems. 

Unlock Math has unlimited practice problems.  I don't know if you'll like the teaching, but you can check out sample videos under the curriculum tab.  There's a 14 day free trial of any course, and there's supposed to be a 30-day money back guarantee.  I've read that the teacher responds to questions.

If you just want extra printed problems, you can get unlimited practice problems here.  

Edited by klmama
  • Like 2

Another vote for Derek Owens. If you do the regular option you can get help from him whenever you need it. He responds really quickly to questions and will send the student videos explaining the thing they are having difficulties with. He is a fantastic teacher!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 4:01 AM, Mom0012 said:

I like Derek Owens, but only with the self-grading option. It is half the price and he’ll give you an answer key. My ds tried myhomeschoolmathclass and what I found with it and every other class that is structured like it, is that it just isn’t a great setup for learning math for us. There was way more time spent on class time than doing problems. And doing problems, and lots of them, is what solidifies math skills here.

Where do you find the self grading option?

• Like 1