Menu

College Board Dropping Adversity Score

Mom0012

I am glad to see this. They must have gotten a ton of backlash.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/college-board-abandons-plan-sat-adversity-scores/

The College Board has abandoned its plan to augment students’ SAT scores with an adversity score, a metric designed to control for privilege in the admissions process, after enduring months of criticism from educators and parents.”

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Bristayl said:

It's not really being dropped--just changed. There will now be two scores on a scale of 1-100, one for the neighborhood and one for the high school, and the scores will be visible to the student.

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/landscape/comprehensive-data-methodology-overview.pdf

Even that is somewhat problematic b/c it presumes the student has had the advantages/disadvantages of whatever area for their entire academic career.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Bristayl said:

It's not really being dropped--just changed. There will now be two scores on a scale of 1-100, one for the neighborhood and one for the high school, and the scores will be visible to the student.

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/landscape/comprehensive-data-methodology-overview.pdf

Oh, not what I thought, but I guess not surprising. I feel a bit better about this from the standpoint that the student can see their score and address any outlier issues and from the standpoint that they are being more transparent about how the score is calculated. And the dropping of the term “adversity score”. In my mind, this is info colleges already had, but transparency and dropping that label makes it less politicized.

The jaded part of me wonders if they publicized their plan of labeling students with an anonymous adversity score calculated by secret means just to get us to more easily accept the idea of Landscape, lol.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

Oh, not what I thought, but I guess not surprising. I feel a bit better about this from the standpoint that the student can see their score and address any outlier issues and from the standpoint that they are being more transparent about how the score is calculated. And the dropping of the term “adversity score”. In my mind, this is info colleges already had, but transparency and dropping that label makes it less politicized.

The jaded part of me wonders if they publicized their plan of labeling students with an anonymous adversity score calculated by secret means just to get us to more easily accept the idea of Landscape, lol.

Fwiw, Adversity Score was a term the news coverage gave to the initial context number; that wasn't CB's label. 

One reason why these numbers are useful is that there are a large number of high schools that don't provide a school profile that would put a student into context with their classmates and neighborhoods. NACAC has been trying to support more schools in creating and providing school profiles, but for some counselors it's one more task on a very heavy workload.

No, it won't give an entire picture for students who move around (military, foster kids, those displaced by natural disaster, etc) but at least the student can see the new numbers and address them within applications. 

• Like 3

The main difference I see with Landscape compared to School Profile would be that neighborhood profile isn’t as clear in School Profile for large high schools which takes from many zip codes. For example my school district has only two high schools and the high schools are in the same zip code. However the school attendance boundaries for the high school covers multiple zip codes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klmama said:

I can't seem to open the link. How do you think this will affect homeschooled students?  

My guess based on what I quoted below is that my kids’ SAT reports would at most have a neighborhood score based on our zip code but not a high school score. Most likely my kids’ SAT reports won’t have any Landscape scores

Starting next year, counselors, and students and parents with a College Board account, will be able to access the same information about their high school and neighborhood that colleges will see in Landscape.

NOTE: There will be rare instances when there isn't enough data about a high school or neighborhood to populate the tool. Those neighborhoods and high schools won’t be part of Landscape.”  https://pages.collegeboard.org/landscape

1 hour ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Fwiw, Adversity Score was a term the news coverage gave to the initial context number; that wasn't CB's label. 

One reason why these numbers are useful is that there are a large number of high schools that don't provide a school profile that would put a student into context with their classmates and neighborhoods. NACAC has been trying to support more schools in creating and providing school profiles, but for some counselors it's one more task on a very heavy workload.

No, it won't give an entire picture for students who move around (military, foster kids, those displaced by natural disaster, etc) but at least the student can see the new numbers and address them within applications. 

I can only hope it is used in a limited way. It sucks to be the kid who has to ‘explain’ their adversity. It also occurs to me that families that fall from the heights have no incentive to explain their adversity score while those that, maybe, finally caught a break are at a major disadvantage. I would much rather have kids tell.their.stories in full than have some arbitrary numbers assigned based on high school and/or zip code.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

There are still issues with the demographic information being utilized.  In some areas a zip code may be a monolithic reference to a certain lifestyle (90210).  In other areas, not so much.  You still have people living in poverty sharing zip-codes with multi-million dollar homes (I think this is most often in what used to be rural areas that have become absorbed by major metropolitan cities (Northern VA for example).  The same zip code can contain an excellent elementary school and a not-so-great one.  Those kids almost all wind up at the same high school (what is funny, the school our old home was zoned for was further away than a different school -- if we were one street over, we'd be slotted for the closer high school).   Our new high school graduates 89% of their students, but only 15% participate in SAT/ACTs and roughly 20% participate in AP courses.  My child(ren) are going to be a HUGE anomaly if we are being compared to the students there.  

• Like 2

As many things as CB has messed up in the last couple years as I got my oldest out the door to college, I'm going to avoid them like the plague for at least the next 2 children. I know that is more difficult for those whose children will probably be National Merit finalists.  Maybe by child number 4 they will have their act together or there will be other ways for automatic merit, AP type credits,etc. Not that I'm holding my breath. 

• Like 3

According to the pdf Bristayl pointed to, the neighborhood info uses the census tract for the student and then the tract(s) for the school.  This is more specific than zip code.

I don't know if there will be any attempt to calculate a number for homeschool students, but the methodology discussion might be worth considering when creating a school profile for your student. I don't think there is something comparable to the average SAT scores, or AP averages when you are discussing a graduating class of 1 student. There is value in discussing what opportunities a homeschool student has. For example, in our states a homeschooler could not participate on public high school sports teams. I made a one line menti on n of this in our profile.

I didn't write about area average income levels because we had moved frequently. I did include a discussion of how much we had moved (including long periods of being in transit between posts).

1 hour ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

According to the pdf Bristayl pointed to, the neighborhood info uses the census tract for the student and then the tract(s) for the school.  This is more specific than zip code.

I don't know if there will be any attempt to calculate a number for homeschool students, but the methodology discussion might be worth considering when creating a school profile for your student. I don't think there is something comparable to the average SAT scores, or AP averages when you are discussing a graduating class of 1 student. There is value in discussing what opportunities a homeschool student has. For example, in our states a homeschooler could not participate on public high school sports teams. I made a one line menti on n of this in our profile.

I didn't write about area average income levels because we had moved frequently. I did include a discussion of how much we had moved (including long periods of being in transit between posts).

I’m looking through it now and thinking along these lines, but I don’t see much from the PDF that is pertinent to my family as homeschoolers, other than the few things I already included, like size of town, average SAT scores for the local school system, and availability of public school classes and sports. 

I shake my head at some of the things in Landscape and wonder how colleges will use them and how they could honestly be meaningful for college selection. The crime indicator, for instance. 

5 hours ago, Penelope said:

I’m looking through it now and thinking along these lines, but I don’t see much from the PDF that is pertinent to my family as homeschoolers, other than the few things I already included, like size of town, average SAT scores for the local school system, and availability of public school classes and sports. 

I shake my head at some of the things in Landscape and wonder how colleges will use them and how they could honestly be meaningful for college selection. The crime indicator, for instance. 

I think an item like crime statistics correlates to things like how much time is spent on daily functions like shopping (in a high crime neighborhood there might be fewer grocery stores for example) or unemployment.  It might also suggest how dangerous it is for a student to get to and from school. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I think an item like crime statistics correlates to things like how much time is spent on daily functions like shopping (in a high crime neighborhood there might be fewer grocery stores for example) or unemployment.  It might also suggest how dangerous it is for a student to get to and from school. 

Maybe. It depends how the data is put together, but from my quick look I thought it said it was for the neighborhood the school is in, which could be better or worse than the neighborhoods the students live in. 

Edited by Penelope

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

Maybe. It depends how the data is put together, but from my quick look I thought it said it was for the neighborhood the school is in, which could be better or worse than the neighborhoods the student’s live in. 

I think when the data is for the high school it includes all neighborhoods for students attending the school, not just the one where the school is situated. 

It does make me wonder how they handle private schools or magnet schools that might draw from a larger geographic area than a contiguous set of neighborhoods. 

• Like 2