Menu

Public high school & enrichment

Hi, new to post. 

My son craved brick and mortar and I couldn’t fight Anymore so he’s a freshman in public. They don’t offer Latin. He purposefully has a lighter load so that we have options for an elective outside. Hybrid is not an option it is all or none in this district.

has anyone successfully after-schooled  Latin outside a public education long term (3 years or to the AP), and what did that look like?

On 8/21/2019 at 2:13 PM, HeighHo said:

Remember b&m workload is planned for the one study hall at school plus the  10 min x grade level for nightly study in high school, and that includes Fridays if school was in session on Friday.  

Not everywhere. Study halls are very uncommon in my area.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, katilac said:

Not everywhere. Study halls are very uncommon in my area.

I didn't realize that study hall was still a thing.  It's certainly not an option at our local school.  And school goes five days a week here.

Frankly, I think that three hours of homework a night (120 minutes for a person in grade 12 plus a one hour study hall) in high school is ridiculous.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2019 at 3:13 PM, HeighHo said:

I haven't done latin, but have done other subjects.  The student can do anything he wants for personal growth.  In my state, if that is a class that is accredited or there is a test out, , it can be moved into the b&m transcript, per state law.  There is a cap on number of credits that can be transferred. There is no cap on the number of AP exams that can be taken, and the family arranges that with the guidance counselor for those exams the school district does not offer a course for.   There is a cap on number of  courses put on the transcript that were tested out of via AP Exams.  That all varies by state and the regs are available online. 

What it looks like:  use the study halls for actual study or homework.  Remember b&m workload is planned for the one study hall at school plus the  10 min x grade level for nightly study in high school, and that includes Fridays if school was in session on Friday.   Note there is no security for an electronic device such as a tablet, so insure it if needed at school.  Download everything to the device at home if the internet isn't available at school. We used a nook tablet, as it was so undesired no one wanted to play with it -- downloaded the AP texts, etc. Student does what he can in study hall; if the course has an online instructor he goes to class and office hours off campus as there is no quiet alone space at school to do that task. Use the phone if internet access is needed ... but know your data plan, because there is no wifi. If you are the instructor, you do that part at home. 

No study halls are offered in my area.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

in the op you stated your child has a lighter load so there are options for an outside elective.  how was that lighter load accomplished?

In our area a Lighter Load would mean not taking ALL Honors/AP classes. Having some classes that won't have the same homework needs to allow for time to be spent on something else.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

right, and when one has little homework and can fast finish class work, one has effectively given themselves a study hall.  what students do here is use that free time in class to do work in the outside course or to complete work in other b&m classes

...And the teachers allow this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

of course.  fast finishers are done, they've completed the assignment and they are free to do anything they need to do as long as they don't disrupt others who are still working.  some teachers will offer enrichment, others won't.  in this area,students are not used to teach peers during class -- that job goes to paid employees. 

My son is only in middle school. They are allowed to read and finish the work for the current class, if they have time. They are NOT allowed to work on work for a different class. There is a standing rule in the school that if you are working for homework for a different class, a teacher can pick it up and not give it back. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

additionally, all band students will take one lesson per week during another class period. they are responsible to obtain and finish the assignment missed.

!! That would be hard to manage. Are band students allowed to get private lessons outside of school time instead to avoid missing 20% of the class time for another class?  Or do they somehow arrange it so the lesson is not at a consistent time?

I have seen the list for the band students at my son's middle school.  They put up a new list every week, and kids check it, and then their private lesson is at a different time every week.  They are rotated around so they don't always miss the same class.  

They don't absolutely have to go to all their private lessons.  If they need to miss because of classwork issues, they can tell the band teacher.  

I want to say that they prefer if a student can switch times with another student and let the band teacher know, if that would solve the problem.  

Edited by Lecka

8 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I have seen the list for the band students at my son's middle school.  They put up a new list every week, and kids check it, and then their private lesson is at a different time every week.  They are rotated around so they don't always miss the same class.  

They don't absolutely have to go to all their private lessons.  If they need to miss because of classwork issues, they can tell the band teacher.  

I want to say that they prefer if a student can switch times with another student and let the band teacher know, if that would solve the problem.  

This is such a strange setup to me. My son has the same "no other class homework" rule in middle school this year. In fact, he got a demerit the first week of school for doing this because he didn't know. The students have band class every day (6th grade band is separated into two sections, brass and woodwinds, 7th grade is combined) and they don't miss any classes for this. The band teacher evaluates them individually (form, tone, embouchure...DS is brass) once every two weeks. There's a studio that offers private lessons a quarter mile from the school but I don't feel like it's necessary. DS is progressing well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...