Menu

Books for delayed readers

Does anyone have some recommendations for books on maybe a first or second grade reading level that won't seem too babyish for a ten-year-old boy? He gets intimidated by a lot of words on a page. Graphic novels and manga might be best. Cool monsters and lots of action are a plus.

We did use High Noon books and I do recommend them until he can read at his interest level in regular books.   You can look at selections available for First and Second grade reading level and try for what you think might interest him.

also look at the upper levels of the Sound Out Chapter books and make sure he can already read those levels fluently. 

I recommend you use their tool to search for grade 1 skill level, age 10 interest level

or grade 2 skill level, age 10 interest level

some books provide online sample to gauge difficulty 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Examples that could fit him possibly r:

Dark Man Set 1 

HNBiconSM.gif

Motivate struggling readers, including young adults, with this series featuring a serious comic book hero and good vs. evil themes.

Readability (Multi-Level): 1st/2nd Grade Readability

Age/Interest Level: 10-14+ 

DDD-1768.jpg

Right Now! 

HNBiconSM.gif

This series of 12 reality fiction stories offers a visually engaging approach to hi/lo reading with minimal text and high-impact graphics.

DDD-2352.jpg

Dark Man Set 3 

HNBiconSM.gif

Designed to motivate struggling readers and young adults, this series features a serious comic book hero and good vs. evil themes.

Professor Igor's Lab of Fear 

HNBiconSM.gif

This series of hi-lo books is sure to keep reluctant readers wide-eyed until the final page. Each book includes discussion and writing questions, a glossary, and educational back matter.

Readability (Multi-Level): 1st/3rd Grade Readability

9 hours ago, mmasc said:

We also used High Noon books. My son mostly read them when he was 8-9-ish and liked the mystery ones. My ds also likes Dog Man books, but I’m not sure what level those are. 

Mine liked some of the nonfiction the best, and not always what I’d have guessed.   

We have a large number of graphic novelizations of great books; if you Google "graphic revolve common core editions" you will find over 25 titles. The paperbacks go for $5-10 each on Amazon, new. They are written specifically for older kids at a lower reading level/reluctant readers.

ETA: They are 'common core' because they include questions and writing prompts at the end. We've never bothered with those.

Edited by Noreen Claire