Menu

Ethics of returning textbook rental for refund

Pegasus

As discussed in a separate thread, DD just dropped a course and now needs to return the textbook and solution guide that was rented from Amazon. I was assuming that we would just have to eat the cost of the unused rental but then found the following quote on Amazon's Help. She's had the books for about 1 week, so well within the 30 day policy.  The total would be about $80. Why does it still feel a bit unethical to me to skate away free of charge?

Does Amazon's standard 30 day return policy apply when I rent textbooks?

Yes, if you return the textbook within the first 30 days of your rental period in the same condition as when you received it, you will receive a full refund of the rental fee. Visit the Returns Center through the Amazon PC Site for more information. If you return the textbook after the first 30 days of your rental period, you will not receive any refund of the rental fee, even if you return the textbook before its due date or subsequently purchase the textbook.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!  Your points make sense and I did return the textbooks.  The reason had to be chosen from a menu and the closest one was "no longer needed".  

We have saved several hundred dollars by buying or renting textbooks through Amazon so the return policy seems super generous to me. DD even pointed out that this was a 4-week course, so possible to even use the book for the course and still return it within 30 days, just barely!  We definitely wouldn't do that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pegasus said:

Thanks, everyone!  Your points make sense and I did return the textbooks.  The reason had to be chosen from a menu and the closest one was "no longer needed".  

We have saved several hundred dollars by buying or renting textbooks through Amazon so the return policy seems super generous to me. DD even pointed out that this was a 4-week course, so possible to even use the book for the course and still return it within 30 days, just barely!  We definitely wouldn't do that.

I have no doubt that Amazon makes a healthy profit on its rentals! Glad you could return the book!