Menu

Transport from airport advice - taxi

Mom0012

My dd will be flying by herself to attend Notre Dame’s Summer Scholars program. She will be arriving at South Bend Airport and will need transportation to the university. I am thinking once she has her bags, there should be taxis waiting outside the airport for her to arrange a ride with, but I have never done this and neither has she.

Am I right that she should easily be able to find a taxi or is this something I need to arrange ahead of time? I had a pretty bad experience trying to arrange for a taxi to get my ds to the train station from his school last semester in that they kept saying they would be there in five minutes for about 45 minutes and he almost missed his train.

This is the part of her trip I am most anxious about. She’s flown on her own many times before, but there has always been a ride waiting for her. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know she could get an Uber or Lyft, but I am worried about the safety of that. It feels like a taxi would be safer.

Edited by Mom0012

There will be a taxi stand, usually just outside the luggage pickup area. She should NOT get into a taxi without going through the official taxi stand.  However, I personally prefer to set up a SuperShuttle type service ahead of time.  It is less expensive than a taxi and almost as convenient.

• Like 2

Have you looked at the web site for the program? ime, they generally include details like this. If they don't, I would call or email and ask. There will be taxis waiting at the airport, but the program organizers may know about a shuttle or have other helpful information. 

• Like 1

Just now, katilac said:

Have you looked at the web site for the program? ime, they generally include details like this. If they don't, I would call or email and ask. There will be taxis waiting at the airport, but the program organizers may know about a shuttle or have other helpful information. 

I have and they just suggest a taxi if you are coming in by plane.  They will have a shuttle to take her back to the airport, but they have kids arriving at so many different times over a couple of days that there is no pickup shuttle.

4 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

There will be a taxi stand, usually just outside the luggage pickup area. She should NOT get into a taxi without going through the official taxi stand.  However, I personally prefer to set up a SuperShuttle type service ahead of time.  It is less expensive than a taxi and almost as convenient.

Thanks! I’m going to google SuperShuttle. I’d far rather have something arranged in advance.

Okay, it looks like SuperShuttle won’t go to the university. It says the address is outside of its service area. I didn’t know about taxi stands though, so that is very helpful. I just want to make sure she gets there safely.

Edited by Mom0012

I called the school to see if I could get any more info and they are saying Uber or Lyft is what they recommend and that they’ve never had any trouble with it. I just need to have my dd check the license plate and make sure she is getting into the right car.

7 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

I just need to have my dd check the license plate and make sure she is getting into the right car.

I use Uber sometimes daily. We use Uber family profile (https://www.uber.com/ride/how-uber-works/family-profiles/) and Uber share status (https://www.uber.com/ride/how-uber-works/share-status/). On the Uber app I can also choose to have the driver’s Uber beacon (https://www.uber.com/newsroom/beacon/) glow making it slightly easier to spot the correct car. 

• Like 2