Menu

Assigning Credits For Art

My daughter has taken several co-op art courses over the past few years from a locally respected artist.  In these classes, the artist meets the students where they are and works with each student to improve their technique and ability.  Several of those courses were in acrylic painting, taken over several semesters.  How should I list these on the transcript (or maybe it doesn't matter)?  Should I compile the cumulative semesters' work into 1 credit and award that credit in the year she completed the series/last took the class?  Should I award 0.5 credit for one year's worth of work, or list 0.25 credit per semester?

I think it's easier to calculate if you think of it in terms of hours. For a one-credit class a student should put in between 120 and 180 hours with academic classes being on the top end and higher and enrichment/elective classes falling more closely in with the lower number. If you can calculate how much time your student put in between the class and any work that was done outside of class time, that should help you come up with a credit number. 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2019 at 2:47 PM, Reefgazer said:

Should I compile the cumulative semesters' work into 1 credit and award that credit in the year she completed the series/last took the class? 

This. Keep life, and her transcript, simple. 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 7:18 AM, mom@shiloh said:

I think it's easier to calculate if you think of it in terms of hours. For a one-credit class a student should put in between 120 and 180 hours with academic classes being on the top end and higher and enrichment/elective classes falling more closely in with the lower number. If you can calculate how much time your student put in between the class and any work that was done outside of class time, that should help you come up with a credit number. 

The total hours she put in definitely accounts for a full credit, but that full credit and those hours were accumulated over several semesters.  I am just wondering how to present that full credit on the transcript, as a single full credit in the year she lasts takes the art class, or as quarter credit increments Per semester?

4 hours ago, mom@shiloh said:

I just "gather" all the credits together and plug it in as a full credit in one of the years, based mostly on where it fits into the transcript the best.

This is what I have done. The word “culmination” appears quite a bit in my dd’s Course descriptions — especially for things like art, music and history.

• Like 3