Menu

Can you help troubleshoot magnesium supplementation?

Pegasus

DD19's doctor is recommending magnesium supplementation.  She first recommended magnesium glycinate as DD doesn't need the laxative effect of the other forms.  We bought a bottle and the pills are way bigger than what DD is comfortable trying to swallow.  We tried crushing them and mixing them with a small amount of food but DD couldn't get it down due to taste/texture.  So, at a recent follow up, the doctor asked about it and then suggested Calm, a magnesium supplement powder that can be dissolved in liquid, even though it isn't in glycinate form.  We picked up some in rasberry/lemon flavor and DD barely managed to drink it down dissolved in warm water and that was starting with the quarter-dose recommended to start with! 

Any suggestions?  Does anyone sell magnesium glycinate in tiny pills (DD would be fine swallowing several of those at a time)?  Tips for making the Calm powder more palatable?  The one thought that DD had was making a mug of hot tea and stirring the powder into that.  However, she's to take it at bedtime and I'm thinking the caffeine in the tea would be counter productive! Maybe an herbal tea where the rasberry-lemon wouldn't clash?  Suggestions?

Many many thanks!

16 minutes ago, aaplank said:

I would suggest a Magnesium oil spray or lotion, as some studies have shown that Magnesium is better absorbed transdermally. I use Life-flo lotion, but I also recommend Ancient Minerals products. 

Interesting concept!  Thank you.  I'll research this.  Can you point to any of the studies? 

https://betteryou.com/evidence-transdermal-magnesium-absorption

This link should take you to several different studies. 

Some trials show there is insignificant benefit, however when you look at the amount of Magnesium  (40 mg) that was tested, it doesn't surprise me. That is such a minuscule dose. 

When I use the lotion, I use quite a bit. When  I use the spray, I spray the bottoms of my feet and my whole torso. 

I have used Magnesium transdermally and orally, sometimes in combination with each other if I'm having a flare up. I find that Inam much more apt to keep up with taking it daily if I use it transdermally   

Epsom salt baths are another good and easy way to get Magnesium into your system 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

CALMS powder try plain cold water. It makes It fizzy a bit. Drink it down followed by something she likes better. 

Pills: try taking uncrushed in something thick like cottage cheese

try mag Gluck by buying it as powder along with empty little capsules and filling as many small size capsules as needed

try Epsom salt soaks

9 minutes ago, aaplank said:

https://betteryou.com/evidence-transdermal-magnesium-absorption

This link should take you to several different studies. 

Some trials show there is insignificant benefit, however when you look at the amount of Magnesium  (40 mg) that was tested, it doesn't surprise me. That is such a minuscule dose. 

When I use the lotion, I use quite a bit. When  I use the spray, I spray the bottoms of my feet and my whole torso. 

I have used Magnesium transdermally and orally, sometimes in combination with each other if I'm having a flare up. I find that Inam much more apt to keep up with taking it daily if I use it transdermally   

Epsom salt baths are another good and easy way to get Magnesium into your system 

Hope that helps!

I use a magnesium cream, but it’s quite expensive per amount of magnesium 

the oils bother my skin, but I think would be excellent if I could use them

Epsoak Epsom Salt 19lbs Magnesium Sulfate USP Resealable Bulk Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N7DQHA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7gT6CbE2DDXGT

is great for soaking.

I use it when I don’t have time for a bath by closing the tub drain during a shower and at least letting my feet soak.  Guess that might not work in a stall shower

My ds takes the Calm gummies. I can't remember right now which form of mg they are. Not oxide and not glycinate. They have not had a significant laxative effect on him and they taste yummy. We did ease in to the full dosageover several weeks, in case of a laxative effect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

My ds takes the Calm gummies. I can't remember right now which form of mg they are. Not oxide and not glycinate. They have not had a significant laxative effect on him and they taste yummy. We did ease in to the full dosageover several weeks, in case of a laxative effect.

This is brilliant. DD would love having it as gummies. I didn't know this existed.  Thank you!

• Like 1

Two options that have worked for me:

1. Jigsaw Magnesium - time release. These are the malate type.

2. ReMag by Dr. Dean. She is a little of a magnesium guru but it's a liquid with no laxative effect and can be put in juice or tea.