Menu

Crochet People - Want to help me choose a pattern?

Jenny in Florida

A young woman I know, one of my co-workers from the job I just left who has also recently started a new job, is having her first baby in September. She moved to the U.S. only a year or so before we started working together and doesn't have a lot of family or community here. We worked together for a couple of years, and I like her a lot. A group of us are planning to throw her a small baby shower.

I would like to crochet a baby blanket (or something). However, beyond the clothes I've seen her wear to work -- which, for lack of a better way to describe them, present as very young and "cute" -- I don't have a good sense of her taste.

So I need to choose a pattern, but I have no clue where to start. Usually, when I start a project, I have at least a sense of a vibe or feeling or color palette, but this time I have got nothing. (She and her hubby do know the baby's sex, but they are not sharing the info publicly.) 

Anyone want to help me decide on a pattern? 

8 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Baby stuff is the best stuff to make! Are you on ravelry? Because I just about live over there. Boy or girl?

I've been noodling around on Ravelry, but nothing has grabbed my enthusiasm. 

The mom-to-be is not releasing info about the baby's sex.

I think the problem I'm having is that I haven't seen anything that is in any way distinctive.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

pinterest has ideas for crocheted baby blankets too.  many can be 'either/or'.

I made a corner to corner with a 'wing-it' border (i made it up as I went along)  - and did crocheted appliques of elephants (because my daughter loves them.) and balloons.

but I've seen that idea with all sorts of things on it that work for either sex. (baby animals in hot air balloon,  bear on a crescent moon with stars, under the sea theme, noah's ark. etc.)  I did get the idea from pinterest.   they work well with a corner-to-corner or a ripples background for more interest.

2018-10-01 16.04.24.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not a crocheter but I've noticed some really neat patterns for crochet lately! I'll try to find them. 

Marken of the Hat & I patterns

Casablanca Afghan

Peek-A-Boo Blanket - this one is simple and classic if you did it in one color

Hydrangea Stripe blanket

Bakewell Blanket

Gingham blanket

Purl Soho's Granny Stripe - everything Purl Soho creates is so clean-lined and elegant (and free!)

Hmmmm....maybe I should brush up on my crochet skills, I'm really liking these patterns!

Hope you find a pattern that inspires you!

• Like 2

Aww, very sweet of you!

Perhaps make it distinctive by making a matching hat and/or booties? Here's one I do that's quick and easy: Hodgepodge Baby Hat and Booties -- free crotchet pattern. Note: I have had to adapt and use a smaller crotchet hook to reduce the hat size, and it's still a bit big for a newborn -- more of a fit for about a 6-12 month old. The most recent time I made it, the young lady was decorating with butterflies, so I found a tiny crotcheted butterfly pattern and made 2 and stitched them onto the hat.

There are definitely some darling and creative patterns out there, but I always end up going for classic patterns made with lightweight ("sport") and super soft baby yarn that's perfect for throwing over a shoulder for nursing or having a light throw over sleeping baby, with a lacy/airy pattern that babies love to put their fingers through (and no first-time parent fears of suffocation). Variegated yarn can increase visual interest. I linked photos of one pattern I particularly like and have done many times -- there are blankets in this pattern on 3 continents (N. America, Asia, Africa), and I'm hoping to send one with a friend's daughter who's going on an extended mission to Europe -- that would just leave S. America and Australia... (:D

Here's a sweet pattern: Crotchet Petal Stitch Baby Blanket -- gray is very modern/trendy and makes it more sex-neutral, but I could see substituting a light yellow for the gray to be more sunny/cheery.

blankets.jpg

hat.jpg

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Many moons ago, when our twins were born, a good friend crocheted nice bibs with bottom pockets/food catchers.  They were super nice because they were soft, and I could throw them in the wash with towels no problem.  Loved those!

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 6:29 PM, Lori D. said:

Perhaps make it distinctive by making a matching hat and/or booties? 

Not a hat or booties, but I am planning on making a couple of matching burp cloths. I just happened to find cotton yarn that coordinates with the yarn I chose for the blanket and decided that would make for a nice package.

Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

Okay, so I thank everyone for the encouragement. As usual, I was probably over-thinking the issue.

I went to Michael's a browsed yarns and ended up choosing four colors I liked. I also, as mentioned in the previous post, found some cotton yarn that happens to coordinate pretty well with the colors I chose, from which I plan to make a couple of burp cloths.

I finally settled on a pretty basic corner-to-corner blanket with wide stripes of color. I'm using this pattern, but mine will have four colors instead of three:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/corner-to-corner-baby-blanket-2

I started working on the blanket last night, and I'm already happy with how it's coming along.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Thanks for letting us all "come along for the ride" (lol). What colors will it be? And -- photos when you finish, please!

I'm using three shades -- coral, spearmint and mint -- of this yarn:

https://www.michaels.com/joy-dk-yarn-by-loops-and-threads-solids/M10541436.html?dwvar_M10541436_size=3.5 oz&dwvar_M10541436_color=Coral#start=12

And Birthday Cake in this one, which I will use for the border, in addition to some of the stripes, to sort of tie it all together:

https://www.michaels.com/kai-yarn-by-loops-and-threads/M10519314.html?dwvar_M10519314_color=Pink Lemonade&dwvar_M10519314_size=3.5 oz#start=7

I've completed the first four stripes, and I'm really happy with how it looks so far.

For the burp cloths, I bought a cake of Caron Cotton in Peach Blossom:

https://www.michaels.com/caron-cotton-cakes-yarn/M20000701.html?dwvar_M20000701_size=8.8 oz&dwvar_M20000701_color=Aqua Breeze#start=6

It's hard to tell online, but in person the colors coordinate really well.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, here's the completed blanket. I did change my mind about using the variegated for the border and went with the more subtle grey-mint.

I'm now working on the first of the burp cloths. I'm using a cake of Caron cotton in colors that are very similar to what I used in the blanket, worked in a shell pattern that echoes the scalloped edge.

IMG_20190601_134600307.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 12