Menu

Sick time vs. vacation time

skimomma

I am in the process of helping my elderly mother, who suffers from dementia, move into assisted living.  I live quite far from her so will be taking a full week off of work to conduct the actual move.  This is a bit tricky because I recently started this job and will have to take all of my available vacation time and "borrow against" future vacation time to make it work.  This puts my meager summer vacation plans at risk since I will not have any time left.  This is not the end of the world and I just assumed that was what would happen.

I was discussing this with a friend and she said I should look into using sick time instead.  My employer's sick time policy (as mandated by state law) allows me to take sick time to help family members with medical-related tasks.  My friend is arguing that because my mom's move into assisted living is being done because she is not medically safe to live independently and was advised by a doctor, it should count.  That seems like a stretch to me.  What do people think?

12 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I am in the process of helping my elderly mother, who suffers from dementia, move into assisted living.  I live quite far from her so will be taking a full week off of work to conduct the actual move.  This is a bit tricky because I recently started this job and will have to take all of my available vacation time and "borrow against" future vacation time to make it work.  This puts my meager summer vacation plans at risk since I will not have any time left.  This is not the end of the world and I just assumed that was what would happen.

I was discussing this with a friend and she said I should look into using sick time instead.  My employer's sick time policy (as mandated by state law) allows me to take sick time to help family members with medical-related tasks.  My friend is arguing that because my mom's move into assisted living is being done because she is not medically safe to live independently and was advised by a doctor, it should count.  That seems like a stretch to me.  What do people think?

Oh I would definitely ask about it.   Doesn't sound like a stretch to me at all.  Be sure and mention that your mother has dementia and it is necessary she be moved into assisted living.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, skimomma said:

Wow.  I'm surprised.  I figured this would kind of be a for sure no-go.  I didn't even want to ask the benefits office if it was way off base.  I'd welcome more input.

I would definitely just be up front about it.  I did not actually know it was a state law that they had to let you use your sick days for family.....I do know the family leave act requires they let you off to care for family but that is not with pay....but either way,  I imagine most employers who offer paid sick days allow you to use them for family.  Just ask.  

15 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I would definitely just be up front about it.  I did not actually know it was a state law that they had to let you use your sick days for family.....I do know the family leave act requires they let you off to care for family but that is not with pay....but either way,  I imagine most employers who offer paid sick days allow you to use them for family.  Just ask.  

You can use your sick time to get paid when you take family leave.  

2 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

At our office they have folded sick leave and vacation time together. You have one pool you can use either way.

This is how dh's is too.  I know they prefer you schedule ahead of time any time you know you will be using a day.....but it all comes from the same pool.

My husband is using paid family leave for my medical appointments but California has this requirement of employment length. He doesn’t have sick leave quota, it’s an honor system.

“To be eligible for CFRA leave, an employee must have more than 12 months of service with the employer and have worked at least 1,250 hours for that employer in the 12-month period before the leave begins.

Employees on CFRA leave of absence may also be eligible for six weeks of paid leave under FTDI, a program administered by the California Employment Development Department (EDD)”

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Well, true, but it isn't the family leave act that determines that.  I don't think.

You’re right, Scarlett. The Family Medical Leave Act kicks in after paid vacation and sick days have been used up. The law requires employers to allow up to 30 days of unpaid leave for medical reasons. It is simply a guarantee that you can’t be fired if you or a family member is sick. Well, at least not for 30 days. There is a length of time requirement - I believe it is one year but I’m not entirely sure. It also only applies to employers who have a minimum number of employees & I don’t know what that number is. 

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

You’re right, Scarlett. The Family Medical Leave Act kicks in after paid vacation and sick days have been used up. The law requires employers to allow up to 30 days of unpaid leave for medical reasons. It is simply a guarantee that you can’t be fired if you or a family member is sick. Well, at least not for 30 days. There is a length of time requirement - I believe it is one year but I’m not entirely sure. It also only applies to employers who have a minimum number of employees & I don’t know what that number is. 

I believe it is 12 weeks of leave not 30 days. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skimomma said:

Update - So based on your responses, I went ahead and called HR.  I CAN use sick time for this!  Which is a great relief.  Thanks for weighing in!  Don't ask me why I didn't just call.  I guess I was worried they would laugh then hang up.

So glad you called!

• Like 2