Menu

Anybody in the UK? Looking up allergy safe products for travelling

bolt.

So, I'm traveling to UK and other parts of Europe, and I have serious skin allergies.

Normally I would take my known-safe shampoo and other body products with me, but we are trying to go carry-on-only, which means there is a limit on liquids. I'm hoping someone with feet on the ground in the UK could maybe... (a) tell me if my usual brands are probably available for purchase in London, (b) or, let me know the names of the types of stores that sell such things so I can look for myself when I get there, but at least I'm looking somewhere promising, (c) or, make suggestions for hopefully-safe replacement products that are available locally.

My known-safe products are...

• Aveeno body wash: with "Fragrance-Free" on the label
  • Dove "Derma Care" "For Dry Scalp and Itch Relief" shampoo and conditioner
  • Neutrogena "Dry Touch" or "Ultra Sheer" sunscreen "for the face"

For other product suggestions, usually, if something is labeled with both "hypoallergenic" and "fragrance-free" it can work for me -- but it can be hit-and-miss. I'd feel less nervous if I knew I wouldn't be experimenting.

Thanks, I know that's a bit of a chore. I'd consider it a big favour.

1 hour ago, bolt. said:

Is "Boots" a place that sells personal care products?

Yes.  The name I most recall for a big pharmacy and personal products etc.  chain from when in UK in past.  

Boots.com in the Internet age 

Take all the OTC stuff you may need ... I was surprised by how many things required a scrip in the UK that do not in the US. If you need certain allergy or cold meds or might need them .... take them! Dh was very disappointed with the cough meds selections when he got sick in England/Wales... I don't remember which specific drugs he wanted that he couldn't get but just that I was surprised by them lol 

I am not in the U.K. currently but have lived there for years.  I have many product allergies myself so I completely understand.  The Simple product line is my friend, I do well with the basics from them.....bonus they are easy to find at Boots, most grocery stores, etc.  I actually just had to order some to the US because of my allergies and I ran out.  Target used to carry Simple and still has a couple of things I believe just not my shampoo....

Neutrogena is not sold on the economy in England to the best of my knowledge.  You can check amazon U.K. things may have changed.  It’s my family’s preferred sunscreen brand and we carry it over.  We use the 100spf when possible and there is no 100 spf of any brand for sale in England the last I checked.....probably an EU thing.

Just an FYI illnesses and medications are frequently called different things.  People can be ill with things like the Chill Fever which I still don’t really know what it is exactly.......but you take Paracetamol (Tylenol) for it.  The pharmacist can actually prescribe a lot of basic drugs like cough syrup with codeine and basic antibiotics there.  You need to have much more of a conversation about what is wrong then you would at a typical US pharmacy. The pharmacist is the first stop if you are sick there for many.  The only general things we really can not get is the 100 spf sunscreen, cold sinus type meds (bring those), and plain zinc oxide.  There are things we may prefer........