Menu

hearing aids??

HollyDay

Okay, I tell this to everyone, but I don't know that it is available to everyone.  We live in Texas, and there is in our city a Deaf and Hard of Hearing Center.  We went there to ask them about tips to help my dh in meetings at work.  Ended up getting free hearing aids and hearing-aid-friendly-phone voucher, from the state's Department of Assistive Services.  Good hearing aids.  Better than VA ones, certainly.  I think it's because it has to do with work, but I'm not positive that's the only reason.  So I would say explore your tax dollars at work and see if you have something like this.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, perkybunch said:

Okay, I tell this to everyone, but I don't know that it is available to everyone.  We live in Texas, and there is in our city a Deaf and Hard of Hearing Center.  We went there to ask them about tips to help my dh in meetings at work.  Ended up getting free hearing aids and hearing-aid-friendly-phone voucher, from the state's Department of Assistive Services.  Good hearing aids.  Better than VA ones, certainly.  I think it's because it has to do with work, but I'm not positive that's the only reason.  So I would say explore your tax dollars at work and see if you have something like this.

Thanks.  I will look into that.  I'm having trouble finding reliable resources at the moment.  I'm sure they are out there.  Just haven't tracked one down yet

I was just popping in to post and saw the previous response. I will add that you should check your local and state universities to see if they teach audiology students. If so, they may have a clinic for the public, because they need their students to practice. Our university program was able to give DS14 a trail pair of hearing aids. He didn't end up needing to continue wearing them, but if he had, they would have let him have an extended trial period with numerous pairs of hearing aids until he found the ones that suited him the best. Only then would we need to buy them.

24 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I was just popping in to post and saw the previous response. I will add that you should check your local and state universities to see if they teach audiology students. If so, they may have a clinic for the public, because they need their students to practice. Our university program was able to give DS14 a trail pair of hearing aids. He didn't end up needing to continue wearing them, but if he had, they would have let him have an extended trial period with numerous pairs of hearing aids until he found the ones that suited him the best. Only then would we need to buy them.

Interesting idea.  Dd had the audiology test and currently has a trial pair.  She likes them.  I'm just trying to do my due diligence and check pricing

• Like 1

Check pricing.

Costco is actually getting great reviews on their hearing aids - Consumer Reports recommends them. I'm sure they don't have every type of hearing aid, but it's worth exploring to see if they have what is needed. The cost savings may very well make up for membership expenses and travel to a Costco.

You have received some great advice.  I was an audiologist in my prior life.  I missed in your first post that this was for a child.   For a working adult, the first response is a great one, look through your state's department of vocational rehabilitation (called different things in different states), as they may be able to help if needed for work.  For children, there are different agencies out there to offer assistance.  I worked with a large ENT group and we were always able to find some agency or some ONE to help so that the parents were not on the hook.  I would say in all my time working I remember one private insurance company providing coverage, although interestingly, our own insurance now finally does which is helpful considering my middle DC wears a HA.  In our area we had programs for newborns, of course, Medicaid, Childrens Medical Services, which is a step up from Medicaid, we had a local cancer charity which would help any child that fell under that umbrella, and I had certain 'angels' that I could always count on from different areas that would always either pay outright or fundraise for their county for 'their' kids,   Find a local university with a program as mentioned, or call around to ENT practices and ask what is available.  There has to be someone that is willing to help you find some help.  Stick with a good reputable audiologist, and hopefully, that will go the extra mile to keep your costs to a minimum.  This will likely be a long term relationship so you want someone that you and your child have a good working relationship. 

• Like 1

What state are you in?  Back when I was a Teacher of the Deaf, it became mandatory in NJ for insurance to cover hearing aids for kids.  I would check your state laws.  NAD (National Association of the Deaf) might have advocacy information for you on this.  Phonak is a great brand, a lot of my students wore those.  There are excellent FM systems that coordinate as well which is really helpful with technology and group situations, restaurants, church, and any other situation with a lot of background noise.  

• 3 years later...