Menu

s/o: What is the "Volt" referred to in the auto-bailout thread?

I assume they're talking about the car Chevy is developing. It's supposed to be able to go 40 miles on a fully charged battery without touching the gas tank at all. Since the majority of people in this country commute fewer than 20 miles each way to work, the idea is that they would do their basic daily driving without using any gas.

I assume they're talking about the car Chevy is developing. It's supposed to be able to go 40 miles on a fully charged battery without touching the gas tank at all. Since the majority of people in this country commute fewer than 20 miles each way to work, the idea is that they would do their basic daily driving without using any gas.

I wonder how much electricity it takes to charge the battery. It would stink if we would be simply switching one type of energy to another if it weren't more sustainable, KWIM?

Not sure if it was just in the plans, or if they have designed it, but there was going to be optional solar panels so it could charge sitting in the parking lot or driveway all day.

My husband and I were really considering getting one when they come out......I hope they still do.

Not sure if it was just in the plans, or if they have designed it, but there was going to be optional solar panels so it could charge sitting in the parking lot or driveway all day.

My husband and I were really considering getting one when they come out......I hope they still do.

That would be really cool!

That seems so backward-thinking, when Honda has a plan to cover *all* our energy needs with hydrogen fuel. Kinda scary to think that they could one day be providing all our energy one day - even electric:

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/home-energy-station.aspx

(one day I'll learn how to link with "see here" - for now, the whole link will do)

Where does the hydrogen come from to run the hydrogen cars?

Currently, it comes from natural gas.

When you look at the details behind hydrogren fueled cars they make no sense - they're an energy net loss. Plus, there are many limitations.

An EV (like the Volt) is a good concept assuming you use some desireable fuel source to make the electricity.

Otherwise, you're just trading one evil for another.

Here in the South, a solar powered car would work most of the time. I would like one of those, please!

That's cool!

Up here, a suburb bought solar powered street lights that didn't work b/c they wouldn't charge b/c they didn't get enough sun.

They are looking for buyers in a sunnier climate.