Menu

what car? UPDATE in first post

gardenmom5

dd's car was totaled tonight.  (she's fine so far, and I suggested she get checked at the ER - the guy's insurance is going to end up paying for that too).    

so,  she wants an SUV, not too big, but big enough for two small/medium (17" & 35lbs) sized dogs in the back - and people in seats.  she wants bells & whistles.  usb ports, etc. it will probably be a few years old - not new.  someone else can pay for the privilege to drive it off the lot.

she likes Toyotas - but I'm hoping she'll be open to other very reliable cars.  she thinks the highlander is too big, I'm concerned the rav4 is too small.  she'd love a lexus - but I'm not sure about their small suv, and she certainly doesn't want the big one.

mileage needs to be considered.

any suggestions?

UPDATE:

dd bought a rav4 limited awd (with tech) yesterday.  it was used - with <10K miles. dh said the engine drove like a new engine. only after we got it home did we realize it has the bumper/door stickers (they're clear and go on the edges to protect against chips.). she'd planned on adding them.  she does have to go to the toyota dealership this morning to get the "key" to adjust the cross braces on the roof rack. someone along the line lost it.  (they also lost the cargo net  listed on the original sticker that came with the car.)

puppy was like - but mom, I don't like the back... (she put one of his dog beds back there so it would be softer over the mud liner.)

we took 2ds (6'+, 200lbs+) with us the first day car shopping when we went to the local dealers to try out different makes of suvs. plenty of head room and leg room in the back seat in the rav4, he was comfortable and felt he could sit there on a longer car trip.  he was disappointed we didn't have time for him to test drive cars.  his reward is -she bought new tires in october.  so, he gets her tires - they're the same size as his, (of which he was extremely skeptical).

she wanted to test the lexus too.  we looked at the nx - the rx350.  no way would the 35lb dog have comfortably fit in the cargo area.  wasn't even worth driving it.  we came up with several new names for suv (which certainly fits most of the lexus suvs) - - the most polite was- "sedan upgrade vehicle.".   they're hatchbacks.    

... the specialty dealership where we bought it …  has a *Lamborghini* SUV*. with red leather. (jaw hanging open.)  and to think I thought the Porsche cayenne was wrong.  just... no.

*-they're selling it on consignment.  he said no way would they have paid that much for a car.

Edited by gardenmom5

If I was in her situation, I’d probably get a Honda CRV. It will be a LONG time before my family would ever fit in one, but they look like the perfect mix of size, price, durability, and appearance. I do think those little Lexus crossovers are cute, but I’ve never researched them at all. 

• Like 2

Ditto looking at the CR-V. My SIL had a Lexus SUV. They bought a CR-V and she liked it so much better she let her DD drive the Lexus and she's driving the CR-V. She didn't dislike the Lexus, but she does like the CR-V more. We have two and have been very happy with them.

Honda also has a newer small SUV/crossover called the HR-V. I don't know anything about it, though.

In addition to the others already listed she might want to check out the Ford Escape and GMC Acadia. I hear good things about both of those, although the Acadia may be bigger than what she wants.

• Like 2

We have a Rav 4. The back cargo area is very roomy -- def enough room for dogs. My only hesitation is that the backseat legroom is smallish. So depending on how often people will be back there, she may want more space. 

It's (overall) a good size -- it's the main car for our family of 4 (roomier than it looks -- like the Tardis. 😉 ) But, in full disclosure, I'm hoping to upgrade to a minivan for even more room (and hauling kids+friends everywhere).

• Like 1

We just got a CRV but we only have one dog - 70lbs. Cannot say anything about reliability yet.

I like Jeeps. The Jeep Cherokee Sport is roomy in back and has bench seats that fold down. Very reliable. Ours has 325,000 miles. 🙂

For more bells and whistles, perhaps the Acura MDX? We never had one, I cannot comment on reliability but when we test drove it, it seemed roomy.

Edited by Liz CA

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

We have a Rav 4. The back cargo area is very roomy -- def enough room for dogs. My only hesitation is that the backseat legroom is smallish. So depending on how often people will be back there, she may want more space. 

It's (overall) a good size -- it's the main car for our family of 4 (roomier than it looks -- like the Tardis. 😉 ) But, in full disclosure, I'm hoping to upgrade to a minivan for even more room (and hauling kids+friends everywhere).

good to know.  she's currently single.

right now, driving others wouldn't be often - but if she's driving visiting siblings, it definitely wouldn't be enough legroom.  they're all around 6'.  (2ds is quite outspoken when asked about headroom and legroom.) - and 2dd's legs....(are THREE INCHES longer than her dh's.)

I've suggested she be willing to look at the honda.  she does have a friend who had a crv they really liked.

eta: re; the bolded - that's my biggest hesitation about "downsizing" to a suv… I dont' want to give up the space.  I really liked the pacifica minivan when we rented one last fall.

Edited by gardenmom5

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

good to know.  she's currently single.

right now, driving others wouldn't be often - but if she's driving visiting siblings, it definitely wouldn't be enough legroom.  they're all around 6'.  (2ds is quite outspoken when asked about headroom and legroom.) - and 2dd's legs....(are THREE INCHES longer than her dh's.)

I've suggested she be willing to look at the honda.  she does have a friend who had a crv they really liked.

eta: re; the bolded - that's my biggest hesitation about "downsizing" to a suv… I dont' want to give up the space.  I really liked the pacifica minivan when we rented one last fall.

My DH works with college students, and he frequently is giving rides to and from events using my car. There is enough leg room for "around town" type driving. It mainly becomes a problem for longer road trips or holiday traveling. But yeah, for taller-than-average people, I'd definitely suggest trying it out first (bring a tall sibling to ride in the back when test driving, maybe).

41 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m very sorry to hear that your dd was in such a bad accident! How scary!!! I’m so glad to hear she’s ok!!!

heh.  she needed to get a new car, and this pushed her to do it.  (last year she had to get a new HVAC - and the year before replaced her deck (she used trex so it will last).  so she's not happy with another big unplanned expense.)  Her car is actually drivable (with straps holding on her rear bumper as it was half torn off and dragging on the ground) - but the way they calculate damage, it would cost more to fix than it's worth.

A friend's house was gutted by fire (she was the only one home, got out safely).  her insurance paid for everything - but she also made changes (removing walls, moved the kitchen, etc.) that she had to pay for, that she couldn't be bothered to do before.  it was an electrical fire that started in a wall - she jokes her deceased mother started the fire so she would do the remodel that she wouldn't otherwise do.   

she was chatting with her brother - who mentioned some things he needed to do to his house.  "well you better do it before mom burns down your house too."

- when she was a teenager, sitting in their family room watching TV -  a sledge hammer came crashing through the wall.  her mother decided she didn't like the wall - so she "removed" all the sheetrock.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

My DH works with college students, and he frequently is giving rides to and from events using my car. There is enough leg room for "around town" type driving. It mainly becomes a problem for longer road trips or holiday traveling. But yeah, for taller-than-average people, I'd definitely suggest trying it out first (bring a tall sibling to ride in the back when test driving, maybe).

I was going to suggest she take 2ds.  he's the tallest, and overweight.... except it's tax season...