Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW8: 52 Books Bingo - Something New

Robin M

On 2/18/2019 at 6:11 PM, Kareni said:

Phantom of the Opera was a great favorite of my daughter's when she was a teen.  It led her to reading a number of spinoffs.  One she particularly enjoyed was  The Phantom of Manhattan by Frederick Forsyth.

I'll also suggest a series of books that my mother, my daughter, and I all enjoyed: the Don Camillo books by Giovanni Guareschi.  It is a series of some six books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor; the books are set in the 1950s in Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back to him.  The wikipedia entry will give you a good idea of the content of the series.  The first book is  The Little World of Don Camillo.

Regards,

Kareni

Have you seen the TV series based on the Don Camillo books? I grew up with those and watched whenever Grandma was not around because she thought it was bordering on sacrilege as Don Camillo would do something blatantly not so nice and then run into the church and talk to God in front of the cross. 🙂

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Have you seen the TV series based on the Don Camillo books? I grew up with those and watched whenever Grandma was not around because she thought it was bordering on sacrilege as Don Camillo would do something blatantly not so nice and then run into the church and talk to God in front of the cross. 🙂

I have not seen the series, but it does sound nifty. (I'd known of a movie but haven't seen that either.)  Did you see the series in the US, Liz?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Pretty sure that the only James with a happy ending of the usual sort (though there are plenty that have an Inevitable And Yet Somehow Unforeseen ending) is his first novel, Watch and Ward, which is so terrible that apparently he used to tell people that Roderick Hudson was his first novel.

Haha. i didn't think there were any Henry James books with happy endings. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

I have not seen the series, but it does sound nifty. (I'd known of a movie but haven't seen that either.)  Did you see the series in the US, Liz?

Regards,

Kareni

No, it was in Europe and I cannot remember if they were in the original Italian and dubbed  or with subtitles.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

I made it to the class! It was fun and my painting turned out fine for a first try. 🙂  I happened to sit next to a very nice homeschooling mom, too! Let me see if I can figure out how to add a pic...ok, this looks like it should work. I hope my library offers this again - the instructor was good and encouraged us to be positive about our work. 

IMG_5273.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

I made it to the class! It was fun and my painting turned out fine for a first try. 🙂 

What fun, Mothersweets; I'm glad you were able to attend the class. You look happy in the photo.  I'm no art critic, but I particularly like the tree in the foreground of your painting.  

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

I made it to the class! It was fun and my painting turned out fine for a first try. I happened to sit next to a very nice homeschooling mom, too! Let me see if I can figure out how to add a pic...ok, this looks like it should work. I hope my library offers this again - the instructor was good and encouraged us to be positive about our work. 

IMG_5273.jpeg

Gorgeous and glad you made it to the class! 

Hubby and James both came down with cold over the weekend so I've been working at the shop all week.  No much new reading getting done.  Rereading Nora Robert's Northern Lights. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

This is the first time I've posted my reading this year!  I have been reading; I just haven't been finishing.  I have so many markers in so many books right now, including some forensic books for adults that I'm enjoying, and a book about the Jakobsweg.  I need to hustle because I've already renewed them once!

I have finished a few:

5. "Fingerprints: Crime-Solving Science Experiments" by Kenneth G. Rainis.  This I really liked, enough to track it down on eBay and order my own copy.  I want to try the experiments that are included for our science study.  It's written for about the same age range (10-12), but is quite a bit longer.  There are four, but I haven't finished the others yet.

4. "Forensic Investigations" (6) by Leela Burnscott.  These are six short books (~30 pp) for upper elementary (ages 9-12) that I read in advance before I read them with DD9.  I liked them.  She thought they were okay.  My older two have been enjoying Elizabeth Murray's  course on Great Courses Plus, so we think our next science study as a family will be forensic science.  Our library has two shelves in the children's section of books on the topic!  (I also read another short one called "Bones Speak" by Richard Spilsbury that appears to be part of a series.  It was okay, but it didn't appeal to me as much.)

3. "A Reason for Faith" edited by Laura Harris Hales.  (LDS)  A collection of essays on church history by some Latter-day Saint scholars.

2. "Left Standing" by Mason Wells, et al. (LDS) The memoir of one of the Latter-day Saint missionaries who was injured in the Brussels airport bombing.  He also witnessed the Boston Marathon bombing, too, when he and his dad went to cheer on his mom.

1.  "Camino Easy" by B. G. Preston.  I have this notion that I'd like to do the Camino and/or the Jakobsweg (Austria) in 2023.  This book is for the "mature walker (over 50)," so I thought it would be suitable advice!  It's a good, all in one place, overview, and emphasizes that you don't have to rush and walk mega-mile days.

Edited by Maus
  • Like 5

On 2/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, Kareni said:

Nora Roberts responds to Cristiane Serruya plagiarism of her books and more, plus history of the dispute between her and Janet Dailey, which I hadn't been aware of. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Nora Roberts responds to Cristiane Serruya plagiarism of her books and more, plus history of the dispute between her and Janet Dailey, which I hadn't been aware of. 

Just WOW!!!  Never heard this one either.  I remember when JD wrote for Presents and had a book each month in the late 70’s and 80’s as my mom subscribed.  I think she wrote a book set in all 50 states and I probably read them all...... hers were my absolute favorite for a while.  At some point (maybe late 80’s early 90’s) I quit reading her books and I still read Nora Roberts fairly faithfully.  I still read most of my mom’s book subscriptions until she died so I certainly didn’t quit the genre.  Many of the old days romance authors who have got more mainstream I read at least occasionally........haven’t read a JD in at least a dozen years and probably many more......

I’ve just been going through my lists that I made back in December of books for my 10 category’s.  I checked out a couple of my choices because I had room in Overdrive.  I now have The Day before Forever https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27246439-the-day-before-forever which is the last in the Seventh Mrs Hatfield series that I loved a couple of years ago.  Looking forward to revisiting and finding out how it ends......time travel romance would be the best description of the series I think.  

I also need to work on my Brexit Express category so I checked out the second Pieter Aspe set in Bruges.  I loved the first last year....https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3552525-de-

Still listening to Gamache......I will be so ready for March! Planning to read the new book sometime in March!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

I had seen that, Robin. And I do remember Nora Roberts' dispute with Janet Dailey; I haven't read any books by Janet Dailey since that time. Sadly, plagiarism is an ongoing issue.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2