Menu

February Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

Hmmm I don't think we have a thread for Feb yet.

Mid- January on for me was rather meh, stupid hormones. I *think* I'm past that now, my energy and mood is much better. 

Goals continue to be 3x week strenght training - at least 2x at the gym. Walking/biking etc when I can. Steps count + (which had been so sucky I've not been tracking the last week or so 😞 ) Although, I took a 2.5 mile walk and yesterday we took a little walk and was very busy arond the house.

Everyone welcome! 

• Like 4

I’ve never looked into this thread before as I’m generally a non-exerciser, but I’m going to attempt strength training via YouTube videos twice this week, with the hopes of upping it to 3 next week. I have two that I like to do back to back...one is for lower and one is upper body. They only require a set of hand weights so I like that. I’d like to start running on the treadmill again, but our new town doesn’t have quite the easy access as my old town did last year, so we will see about that I guess. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I’ve never looked into this thread before as I’m generally a non-exerciser, but I’m going to attempt strength training via YouTube videos twice this week, with the hopes of upping it to 3 next week. I have two that I like to do back to back...one is for lower and one is upper body. They only require a set of hand weights so I like that. I’d like to start running on the treadmill again, but our new town doesn’t have quite the easy access as my old town did last year, so we will see about that I guess. 

Welcome! Best wishes on your goals, you can do it!!!

• Thanks 1

My calf strain is better so I was able to run a very slow 2.5 miles this morning. I was very pleased to be able to get back out there. I should be on week 3 of my 10k training program but I'm going to go back to week 1 to ease my self back into it. I'm not going to worry about my times just work on covering the distance. I've gotten 1 spin class and 1 strength training class in this week. Hoping to fit in 2 more strength training classes and a yoga class.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, hshibley said:

My calf strain is better so I was able to run a very slow 2.5 miles this morning. I was very pleased to be able to get back out there. I should be on week 3 of my 10k training program but I'm going to go back to week 1 to ease my self back into it. I'm not going to worry about my times just work on covering the distance. I've gotten 1 spin class and 1 strength training class in this week. Hoping to fit in 2 more strength training classes and a yoga class.

Glad you are better, slow and steady wins the race!

Strength work last night- after a couple of sessions off my shoulder feels normal again and I added back in my chin-up work. I'm a slow learner w/ not pushing myself. Doing the 40 push-ups felt fine but my body can't do leaps, I must keep w/ slow progressions and not push.

• Like 1

@sororThanks for starting up the new thread for Feb!

I've been able to get out skate skiing and snowshoeing every second day. It's been wonderful! The only drawback is that it's highly weather dependent. We just had another bout of rain and above-freezing temps, which does a number on on the snow. I'm hoping to get out again by tomorrow, as it's getting colder again. 

• Like 2

Just now, wintermom said:

@sororThanks for starting up the new thread for Feb!

I've been able to get out skate skiing and snowshoeing every second day. It's been wonderful! The only drawback is that it's highly weather dependent. We just had another bout of rain and above-freezing temps, which does a number on on the snow. I'm hoping to get out again by tomorrow, as it's getting colder again. 

Wow...now that sounds like fun exercising I could get on board with! (Other than not actually knowing how to do those things 😂)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mmasc said:

Wow...now that sounds like fun exercising I could get on board with! (Other than not actually knowing how to do those things 😂)

They are loads of fun, though you have to have the right weather conditions.

I squeezed in a quick skate ski this afternoon, hoping to take advantage of the snow before the freezing rain started. The first part of my ski was amazing, and then icy rain pellets started hitting me in the face. It felt great to get out, though.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Does anyone here ever get foot/toe cramps during exercise? When I forget to wear my indoor shoes with support around the house, and spend any time in bare feet, I'll get these wicked foot and toe cramps. I've gotten them playing tennis, and just recently got them skiing today. I may have to find a supportive insole for my ski boots.

• Like 1

Most of my January was great, but the last few days of it and the beginning of February are hard. Every time I run, I have some pain for a couple of days (a different one every time). If I don't run, I feel like throwing a temper tantrum (I don't, but I surely want to most of the time, and holding it all back is hard) or alternatively I am super exhausted. Grrr. Plus, my eating is far from great, and I feel boated, probably the first time I actually notice it. I blame it all on hormones.

I registered for a small local competition this Sunday. Most (all?) of the people are much better than I am, so it is going to be interesting. I just hope my hormones don't act up too much.

• Like 1

@OlgaLA  Hope you start feeling better soon. Have you just started back into running? I had a lot of muscle pain and exhaustion when I started skate skiing again. Now things are good. 

I played doubles tennis this evening. Two matches of 1 hour each. It was a lot of fun. I played really well and was happy, though didn't manage to win either match.  I also went for a hike in the woods this afternoon. I tried snowshoeing during part of it, but the snow was very deep and really hard. I wasn't worth the effort slugging through that when there was a nice path smoothed out by fat tire bikes. 

• Like 2

I started phase 3 of 80 day obsession today was day 52/80. A little more intense but I'm up for the challenge.  I'm not into eating plans but am going to try the timed nutrition that beach body has for this program.  It's not that different than how I currently eat but I am hoping it will stop some mindless snacking.  Kwim

Hope everyone has a great week.

• Like 3

Gah, I'm way behind.

Glad to see everyone. Wintermom sorry you are having foot pain, I do not have that issue myself 😞 Olga, I'm with you on hormones- I'm in PMS purgatory right now. I wish you the best in your competition.

Lynn- keep on, keeping on- go you!

I lifted on Thursday. I've been fighting a cold since then and have been incredibly lazy! The kids do not have TKD tomorrow and I'll probably enjoy a day at home and do some strength training with the girls  (assuming I feel well then and my period doesn't knock me out) and hit the gym again on Thursday when they go back.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 7:22 PM, wintermom said:

@OlgaLA  Hope you start feeling better soon. Have you just started back into running? I had a lot of muscle pain and exhaustion when I started skate skiing again. Now things are good. 

I played doubles tennis this evening. Two matches of 1 hour each. It was a lot of fun. I played really well and was happy, though didn't manage to win either match.  I also went for a hike in the woods this afternoon. I tried snowshoeing during part of it, but the snow was very deep and really hard. I wasn't worth the effort slugging through that when there was a nice path smoothed out by fat tire bikes. 

Thanks! I have just started running, period 🙂 Seriously, it was the first time ever I run 1km without switching to walking a few times. But unfortunately, it is not the muscles that bother me, it's tendons. I am trying to start very gently, but still usually something hurts for a day or two. My main problem is that I feel like running works like a drug on my mood and energy levels, and it is something none of my other activities does.  I really want it to work, but I am afraid that doing it more will make me do it less or not at all, kwim?

Soror ~ I am having PMS as well. Sleep is terrible, I am feeling hot, tired, depressed, and hungry most of the time. Hopefully, it will end soon.

The competition went well. I have forgotten how much fun it is. I did OK for me, actually better than I expected, but in direct eliminations round I had to fence DD 😞

Today I am going to take DS on a short run/walk, and then fencing in the evening. Mondays are hit or miss in terms of length, but I kind of hope for a shorter version, as my thighs are a little sore after the competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlgaLA said:

Thanks! I have just started running, period 🙂 Seriously, it was the first time ever I run 1km without switching to walking a few times. But unfortunately, it is not the muscles that bother me, it's tendons. I am trying to start very gently, but still usually something hurts for a day or two. My main problem is that I feel like running works like a drug on my mood and energy levels, and it is something none of my other activities does.  I really want it to work, but I am afraid that doing it more will make me do it less or not at all, kwim?

Soror ~ I am having PMS as well. Sleep is terrible, I am feeling hot, tired, depressed, and hungry most of the time. Hopefully, it will end soon.

The competition went well. I have forgotten how much fun it is. I did OK for me, actually better than I expected, but in direct eliminations round I had to fence DD 😞

Today I am going to take DS on a short run/walk, and then fencing in the evening. Mondays are hit or miss in terms of length, but I kind of hope for a shorter version, as my thighs are a little sore after the competition.

Which part of the body are the tendons located that become painful? 

Glad your competition went well. That would not be fun to have to compete against a family member - especially as one of you would be eliminated. I hate elimination tournaments. Round robin just seems a lot more bang for the buck. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Which part of the body are the tendons located that become painful? 

Glad your competition went well. That would not be fun to have to compete against a family member - especially as one of you would be eliminated. I hate elimination tournaments. Round robin just seems a lot more bang for the buck. 

Well, they travel. I never know which one will act up. The worst was at the back of my knee, where the hamstring? connects to the knee (two obvious tendons on the back of the leg just above the knee). I felt it at every step faster than a slow walk. It is gone now, but took about a week of rest to heal. I stopped everything, except light stationary biking that week. The most lingering one is on outside of my foot, below and in front of the ankle bone. That one doesn't affect my walking or running, I cannot feel it at all when I am wearing running shoes, but after a run it tends to get inflamed and hurts to the touch and when I try to move the foot to the side. And then there is my lower back and the arch of my left foot. I think the hips only hurt once in the very beginning and stopped soon after I added some low squats to my days. So, is there anything else that I still can overwork?  🙂 Oh, and I kind of figured out what makes my shins hurt, so those are also fine now. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I am ready to fall apart, but then I put myself together and go do something else.

I know what you mean about eliminations. Fencing tournaments usually consist of two rounds - round robin style pools of 5-7 people, and then based on the results direct eliminations. I do have to admit that it makes it fair, without having to fence 20-300 people. And let's not think how many bouts they would have to arrange even for a small tournament otherwise 🙂 .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OlgaLA said:

Well, they travel. I never know which one will act up. The worst was at the back of my knee, where the hamstring? connects to the knee (two obvious tendons on the back of the leg just above the knee). I felt it at every step faster than a slow walk. It is gone now, but took about a week of rest to heal. I stopped everything, except light stationary biking that week. The most lingering one is on outside of my foot, below and in front of the ankle bone. That one doesn't affect my walking or running, I cannot feel it at all when I am wearing running shoes, but after a run it tends to get inflamed and hurts to the touch and when I try to move the foot to the side. And then there is my lower back and the arch of my left foot. I think the hips only hurt once in the very beginning and stopped soon after I added some low squats to my days. So, is there anything else that I still can overwork?  🙂 Oh, and I kind of figured out what makes my shins hurt, so those are also fine now. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I am ready to fall apart, but then I put myself together and go do something else. .

When I was training Taekwon-Do and running at the same time, it was just too much strain on my legs. I wonder if the strain that fencing puts on your ankle and knee joints make them more sensitive to the extra strain and pounding from running?  The areas of pain you seem to be experiencing aren't the typical ones for runners. Those tend to be hip, outer knee, and heel (plantar fasciitis).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

When I was training Taekwon-Do and running at the same time, it was just too much strain on my legs. I wonder if the strain that fencing puts on your ankle and knee joints make them more sensitive to the extra strain and pounding from running?  The areas of pain you seem to be experiencing aren't the typical ones for runners. Those tend to be hip, outer knee, and heel (plantar fasciitis). 

It is certainly a possibility. I still hope that if I introduce it slowly enough I manage to combine both without hurting all the time. Plus, this year due to scheduling conflicts I feel like I don't fence enough for it to be my only form of exercise. Most weeks it is just 2-3 hours total.

I woke up today feeling totally exhausted and with a headache, so I spent most of the morning thinking if it would be better to cancel the private lesson. I finally decided that I can manage to push myself for 25 minutes and it actually went pretty well.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, OlgaLA said:

It is certainly a possibility. I still hope that if I introduce it slowly enough I manage to combine both without hurting all the time. Plus, this year due to scheduling conflicts I feel like I don't fence enough for it to be my only form of exercise. Most weeks it is just 2-3 hours total.

I'm in the same boat with tennis. I don't play enough for that to be my only exercise. I've been able to find alternative forms of movement that are lower impact than running. In the winter it's skating, skiing and snowshoeing. In the spring, summer and fall it's cycling and hiking. Maybe you can find something you love to do that is easier on your joints than running? It's no fun feeling pain every time you exercise.

There is often a "build up" period where muscles are sore, but joint pain is different. Are you warming up and stretching? That can often help. You could also look into your running technique. Sometimes we put extra stress on certain body parts due to running style. I had a friend who is a running coach look at my running style. She gave me some very helpful tips that minimized my hip pain.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm in the same boat with tennis. I don't play enough for that to be my only exercise. I've been able to find alternative forms of movement that are lower impact than running. In the winter it's skating, skiing and snowshoeing. In the spring, summer and fall it's cycling and hiking. Maybe you can find something you love to do that is easier on your joints than running? It's no fun feeling pain every time you exercise.

There is often a "build up" period where muscles are sore, but joint pain is different. Are you warming up and stretching? That can often help. You could also look into your running technique. Sometimes we put extra stress on certain body parts due to running style. I had a friend who is a running coach look at my running style. She gave me some very helpful tips that minimized my hip pain.

I did stationary biking, which helped with stamina, but it doesn't help with mood at all. I don't know what it is about running, but it totally energizes me for at least 36 hours. Nothing else so far had the same effect, and I have really low energy throughout the day (as in I rarely make it without a nap) so it is really important to me. I only started running 6 weeks ago, and tendons also need time to adjust, actually more time than muscles, so I think I'll try running for a while longer, paying attention to not doing too much too soon. We'll see if my body can adjust. I had tennis elbow bout when I started fencing more seriously, so maybe it is something like that with running, too,  something that I'll get used to. 

I ran 3 miles yesterday morning, and had a private lesson. It is going to rain for the next 2 days, so we'll be inside. I don't  recognize California.

• Like 2

@OlgaLA I have that same feeling about running.  I think because I can completely mentally zone out for most of the run, it's almost a meditative state.  

------------

I watched a youtube video on exercise motivation and it was more like a series of tips or mantras to live by.  There were two that stuck in my head, and I've tried to follow them this week:

- Never miss a Monday workout

- Never go three days without a workout.  

I really liked how simple those were.  

Here was my funny thought while out running this evening:  "Running is so simple; you just need some comfy shoes."  Then I looked down at myself and added, "and a GPS watch, a smartphone, a heart rate monitor, wireless headphones, flashing safety lights on my shoes, and a headlamp."

So simple.  Back to nature and all that.  😂

• Like 5

I just returned from a lovely skate ski in the woods. It felt really good. I wa surprised there weren't more people out on the trails. I thought it would be packed, but I think cross-country skiing is still a well kept secret, and probably more work than people really want to do. Downhill skiing is easier. Personally, I like skiing uphill as well as downhill. 😉

• Like 2

I did a short run this morning, had  a lovely walk with DS, and hopefully will get a bout or two to fence in the evening (it is questionable, as almost everyone is at Junior Olympics, so it will be very empty tonight)

On 2/14/2019 at 10:25 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

@OlgaLA I have that same feeling about running.  I think because I can completely mentally zone out for most of the run, it's almost a meditative state.  

------------

I watched a youtube video on exercise motivation and it was more like a series of tips or mantras to live by.  There were two that stuck in my head, and I've tried to follow them this week:

- Never miss a Monday workout

- Never go three days without a workout.  

I really liked how simple those were.  

Here was my funny thought while out running this evening:  "Running is so simple; you just need some comfy shoes."  Then I looked down at myself and added, "and a GPS watch, a smartphone, a heart rate monitor, wireless headphones, flashing safety lights on my shoes, and a headlamp."

So simple.  Back to nature and all that.  😂

Three days is way too many for me. I am trying for something every day. It doesn't matter how short or easy, but it has to be done, just to check the box.

And I only use a fitness tracker and a smartphone, in addition to shoes, of course, and a good supporting sport bra, so I guess I have a long way to go 🙂 By the way, running on the streets is dangerous even during the day. I was running today in a bright red jacket, hoping to be visible in bright daylight, and still a car didn't stop on the stop sign, although I was half way through the intersection. Went right in front of me, and only because I stopped.

• Like 3

You all are so good! I'm chiming in on this thread for the first time. I'm trying to stick with my regular routine-- weights  3x/week and walking the dogs 45 minutes/day for 6 days/week. We've been dealing with snowpacolypse here in WA but have only just now gotten back out to walk the local trails. Several large trees were blocking the way, ugh. I hope the Park Service is able to make it out here soon to do some clearing.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, OlgaLA said:

I did a short run this morning, had  a lovely walk with DS, and hopefully will get a bout or two to fence in the evening (it is questionable, as almost everyone is at Junior Olympics, so it will be very empty tonight)

Three days is way too many for me. I am trying for something every day. It doesn't matter how short or easy, but it has to be done, just to check the box.

And I only use a fitness tracker and a smartphone, in addition to shoes, of course, and a good supporting sport bra, so I guess I have a long way to go 🙂 By the way, running on the streets is dangerous even during the day. I was running today in a bright red jacket, hoping to be visible in bright daylight, and still a car didn't stop on the stop sign, although I was half way through the intersection. Went right in front of me, and only because I stopped.

Scary!  Most of my run is on paved trail, but I do have to cross a few major intersections to get there.  I really wish I could get back to running in the AM, way fewer cars... but I'm not sure what happened to my AM motivation!  Maybe it will come back when the spring arrives...

• Like 4

@OlgaLA  I know what you mean about not being able to run everyday. The most I could do is 4 times a week, but usually it was only 3. That's the great thing about skiing and cycling; it's easy enough on the joints that I can do it everyday. 

I'm heading out for another skate ski today. It's quite a bit colder, so I won't be sweating as badly.

• Like 3

I am exhausted these last couple of days, possibly because of not enough sleep lately. Skipped the private lesson yesterday, as there was no way it would be useful. Went for a short run/walk with DS, then did 45 minutes of easy biking, which I barely managed to finish. Planned on a run this morning, but I could barely move around the house after I got up, so skipped that. Maybe a private lesson tonight, but it will depend on how I will feel when I get there.

@wintermomI also think it depends on mileage. Sometimes I technically get 5 days, but 2-3 of them could be barely jogging 1 mile or so. So far for me it is the longer runs (4-5 miles right now) that leave me feeling it the next day or two. Skiing is not an option here without 2-3 hour drive, and I am scared *watching* cyclists when I am driving, let alone actually trying it on the roads 🙂

• Like 2

@OlgaLA I hope your energy returns really soon. Mileage in running is definitely a key factor. I think it's normal to be tired and have sore muscles after those longer runs up to 2 days afterwards. Sometimes light activity, such as walking or cycling, can help with the recovery after long runs, even when your mind wants to lay down and nap for hours. 😉

I went for an hour hike in the woods with a small group of homeschool moms. It's our weekly hike, and it's a highlight of the week for me. Today we could have snowshoed on the fresh snow, but we opted to try walking in boots on our old snowshoe trail from last week. It was probably slightly faster than snowshoeing, though annoying as we kept sinking and sliding around on the fresh snow. Oh well, it was probably a more intense work-out this way. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got in an hour hike yesterday and today (with a little snowshoeing mixed in).  This evening was my tennis league that I play in every second week. It was a lot of fun tonight. Some really great rallies, and a good work-out. I wish I could play more often in the winter, but at least I do a little. The caliber of play is great, so it's always good play - even when I'm not playing so good. 😉

In my continued search for motivation, I enjoyed this Ted talk:

Most importantly, that, with few exceptions, Not Enough Time = Not A Priority

As for this week, I'm squeaking by with only 2 runs and 1 swim.  My food has been good.  I'm moving towards "wholesome food" and time-restricted eating (a.k.a. intermittent fasting).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

In my continued search for motivation, I enjoyed this Ted talk:

Most importantly, that, with few exceptions, Not Enough Time = Not A Priority

As for this week, I'm squeaking by with only 2 runs and 1 swim.  My food has been good.  I'm moving towards "wholesome food" and time-restricted eating (a.k.a. intermittent fasting).

Thanks for sharing that TED talk. I also liked the time = priority.  I think she had some great points, however she only brushed past the part about spending (perhaps wasting) 2 hours in front of the tv or on the phone/computer. There is a crucial step between identifying the lower priority activities, and actually weeding them out of one's life and replacing them with "stuff we'd like to do," though this is often "stuff we think we ought to do."

Making that first step, and then keeping going with the "stuff we'd like to do" is HARD.  And sustaining it year after year, is HARD. But on top of that we are aging and getting tired and our hormones may be going crazy. Who even wants to make a list of stuff we want to do, and set up a plan on how to achieve it by this point? We may have done it all before, maybe many times already. How do we stay motivated now? 

I don't want to over-criticise a great talk, though. Perhaps I'm just a little more realistic and practical about the process, having done it many times over a few decades. It never really gets to be easy. Sure, it's much easier to get motivated to do something we chose and wish to do, but it still takes self-discipline to implement. And we humans do tend to prefer stuff that is easy and fun. 😉

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

Thanks for sharing that TED talk. I also liked the time = priority.  I think she had some great points, however she only brushed past the part about spending (perhaps wasting) 2 hours in front of the tv or on the phone/computer. There is a crucial step between identifying the lower priority activities, and actually weeding them out of one's life and replacing them with "stuff we'd like to do," though this is often "stuff we think we ought to do."

Making that first step, and then keeping going with the "stuff we'd like to do" is HARD.  And sustaining it year after year, is HARD. But on top of that we are aging and getting tired and our hormones may be going crazy. Who even wants to make a list of stuff we want to do, and set up a plan on how to achieve it by this point? We may have done it all before, maybe many times already. How do we stay motivated now? 

I don't want to over-criticise a great talk, though. Perhaps I'm just a little more realistic and practical about the process, having done it many times over a few decades. It never really gets to be easy. Sure, it's much easier to get motivated to do something we chose and wish to do, but it still takes self-discipline to implement. And we humans do tend to prefer stuff that is easy and fun. 😉

I think you're completely right, and I also think it comes down to being totally honest with oneself.  I have examples in my own life, related to homeschooling.  Things like, "I should make art study a priority." - It was on my "must add" list for several years before I realized... I don't WANT to do this, or it would have happened.  It's not that we don't have time in the day or that other subjects have taken precedence, it's that I honestly don't have any interest in doing it.  So I took it off my list and now I feel much better.  😂  But I had to be honest about it and stop beating myself up about it.  

By the same token, wanting to reduce screen time or you-name-it is really only going to work if you actually want to do that.  All the things we "ought" to do will only get done if we also actually want to do them.  If we are trying to replace something we want to do (relax in front of the tv) with something we ought to do (yoga), it's just not going to work.  On the other hand, if we want to do yoga but have allowed our priorities to get out of whack because yoga requires that initial motivation burst to get over the "hill" (change clothes, roll out mat, put in dvd), then I think this talk is a good reminder:  you (the ambiguous you) will be happier at the end of the yoga session than at the end of a 45 minute crime drama, so climb that little hill.  

• Like 1