Menu

Weighted blanket as gift - I goofed - how to fix?

Pegasus

One of my DDs likes to sleep under lots of heavy blankets and had talked about wanting to try a weighted blanket. I did a little research and often saw the "10% of body weight" as a guideline. This didn't make any sense to me because the guideline doesn't take the size of the blanket into account.  Obviously, a 10 pound blanket in throw size is going to place a lot more weight on a body than a 10 pound blanket in king size.

I figured that if she wanted less weight, she could just use part of the blanket and let the remaining weight rest on the bed. So, I ordered a 20 pound monster.  MISTAKE!  It is too heavy for this 130 pound young woman!  It quickly becomes uncomfortable to lie under.

I want to get her a lighter blanket now.  Would you recommend a 10 pound blanket in the same size?  Other tips?

Also, any ideas of what I can do with the 20 pound blanket?  I'd like to pass it along to someone who could use it and maybe not be able to purchase on their own. They aren't cheap!

We have a local charity that collects items for foster children placement - clothes, car seats, furniture, etc. 

They also have a group of ladies who make weighted blankets as many of the foster children benefit from these. So, maybe call your local foster care coordinator? 

10 hours ago, Bambam said:

We have a local charity that collects items for foster children placement - clothes, car seats, furniture, etc. 

They also have a group of ladies who make weighted blankets as many of the foster children benefit from these. So, maybe call your local foster care coordinator? 

20 lb blanket is definitely adult sized though.  I might look into some of the organizations that serve transition age (18-21) students or adult with developmental disabilities, particularly autism. 

• Like 4

I would try to send it back. If it makes you feel any better, I made one for my dd and the same thing happened. That weight ratio was just TOO HIGH. I sleep with piles of blankets for weight too, and even I can't handle it. If I get under there, my whole system shuts down and I can't even wake up. It's a really funky experience. Now we just use it for emergencies.

Target was selling some 10lb weighted blankets this Christmas pretty inexpensively, so you might check if they still have them. Try online with them. Then she could return it if she doesn't like it.

I think you could probably ebay it pretty easily if you can't sell it. If you have a local FB group for autism, etc., you could probably sell it that way too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daria said:

20 lb blanket is definitely adult sized though.  I might look into some of the organizations that serve transition age (18-21) students or adult with developmental disabilities, particularly autism. 

The foster placements aren't always small children. The charity has asked for 2X, 3X clothing for the teens that go through the system. 

Good idea about the transition centers!

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

The foster placements aren't always small children. The charity has asked for 2X, 3X clothing for the teens that go through the system. 

Good idea about the transition centers!

True, but based on my experiences, I would be worried about giving a gift that could be unsuitable for a younger child to untrained people to distribute.

It would be easy for it to end up in the hands of a 7 year old instead of a 17 year old.  Foster care workers have huge caseloads, and if they aren't familiar with the guidelines may not have time to research them.

A high school or post secondary school or adult services agency, is more likely to have an OT on staff, and less likely to have a small kid to accidentally give it to.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, Daria said:

True, but based on my experiences, I would be worried about giving a gift that could be unsuitable for a younger child to untrained people to distribute.

It would be easy for it to end up in the hands of a 7 year old instead of a 17 year old.  Foster care workers have huge caseloads, and if they aren't familiar with the guidelines may not have time to research them.

A high school or post secondary school or adult services agency, is more likely to have an OT on staff, and less likely to have a small kid to accidentally give it to.

Excellent point. They do train the volunteers, but you never know what might happen.