Menu

Can we talk housing (not enrollment) deposits?

RootAnn

Dd is realistically looking at three universities and won't be in a position to decide on one until all of the $$ are in and she's visited the last one.

College #1 accepts housing applications separately from enrollment deposits. Only $25 of the deposit is non-refundable. First year on campus housing is required and the website says most students submit their housing applications by February. Dd has only a very specific couple of housing options that are acceptable (to her) on this campus. No idea how competitive those options are but the website says the earlier you send in the application, the more likely you are to get one of your choices.

College #2 has required/guaranteed on-campus housing for Freshmen. Pretty much every housing option is acceptable to DD. If she gets into the Honors College, she's pretty much guaranteed a good dorm. The housing application/ deposit is separate from the enrollment deposit and only $25 of it is non-refundable. While the school encourages kids to put down a housing deposit early, they don't seem to indicate it is imperative to jump on it.

College #3 requires an acceptance of enrollment prior to a housing deposit but DD has guaranteed housing placement in her #1 pick if she puts down the deposit by May 1st. Because of this, I'm not worried about this college at all.

So, speaking only of colleges 1 & 2, which one(s) would you submit a housing application for now, knowing a decision on which to attend might (possibly) drag into April?

Edited by RootAnn
fixed typo in the title
  • Like 1

If I were her I would put in the housing application for college 1. It seems like it would be worth risking $25 if there are so few acceptable options there. To me it doesn't sound like it's really necessary to do the other 2 now. We waited to submit dd's and she didn't get the dorm she requested but is very happy with the one she ended up with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would definitely put the deposit on #1.  I tend to worry about housing because I think it's really important to the college experience and would want to do whatever possible to make sure my child was comfortable with the housing assignment.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1