Menu

S/O decluttering. Suggest minimalist blogs podcasts

popmom

2018 was rough. Our hardest year financially in 26 years of marriage. Our hardest year emotionally, medically, mentally... I’ve had a lens change and want to downsize and simplify. 

Looking for suggestions on podcasts, blogs, books, someone to follow on Instagram...

I need inspiration!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it was a very rough year, you might want to consider taking at least a few months (preferably more like 6 months) before you make any major changes in your life. It can take quite a while to calm down after very stressful times, and even though you want to become more minimalistic right now, if you rush to get rid of a ton of stuff and move to a smaller home, you might end up regretting it by this time next year.

I’m sorry you had such a lousy year. I hope 2019 is your best year ever!

• Like 4

Thanks, Cat! I agree. My 40’s have been rough—this whole decade! I’m looking forward to turning 50 in a couple of years. We can’t do anything too drastic at the moment. Eventually, I would like to sell our house and downsize, but we’d need to do a little updating first. We don’t have the money for that right now. I’m doing what I can in the short term so that later we can work on some long term goals. 

Edited by stephensgirls
  • Like 2

These aren’t necessarily minimalist but are clutter rid promoters:

Clutterbug has a YouTube and podcast.

A slob comes clean has books and a blog and podcast.

Gretchen Rubin has a book in March coming out (from Happier podcast and books).

Marie Kondo just had a Netflix series released, and she has you tube.

There are minimalist podcasts but I’m not there at the moment, just decluttering.

Sorry it’s been tough.  😞

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I don’t know if you’re interested in videos, but one of the professional organizers I had come to the house has a bunch of videos around clutter and organizing. 

https://www.clutterfairyhouston.com/#videos

Her most recent one is about excessive photos.  Which is what I'm dealing with today.  Perfect timing.  Thank you!

Becoming Minimalist by Joshua Becker.  He has a new book out (I haven’t ordered it yet) entitled Minimalist Home.  He has a website as well as a Facebook page.  I really like his stuff!

I also like Marie Kondo and am eager to check out her new Netflix series.  I am a fan of Living Well, Spending Less and No Sidebar.  Both have FB pages. Joshua Becker is by far my favorite, though.  

Whatever you decide to use, my best advice it to implement whatever works for you and disregard the rest. I have used different components of all that I have listed. 

We did a major downsize this year, going from a 3,450 sq ft house to a 935 2 BR, 2 BA condo.  It has been pretty drastic but, overall, pretty good.  Our ds “launched,” as he graduated from college, and our condo is fine for just the two of us. Awfully cozy when we have company though!  Which, happens often now that we have moved to Florida!  Honestly, I think I would be happier with about 1,200-1,300 sq ft,  I am committed to this plan for five years, and we’ve been at it for almost the first one of those.  If and when ds marries and has children, I really would like more space. But, I will never go back to what we had before.  Prior to the 3,450 sq ft house, we had 4,300 sq ft!  Never again! 

I’m sorry you have had a difficult year.  😞  Here’s to a better one in 2019. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hoggirl said:

Becoming Minimalist by Joshua Becker.  He has a new book out (I haven’t ordered it yet) entitled Minimalist Home.  He has a website as well as a Facebook page.  I really like his stuff!

I also like Marie Kondo and am eager to check out her new Netflix series.  I am a fan of Living Well, Spending Less and No Sidebar.  Both have FB pages. Joshua Becker is by far my favorite, though.  

Whatever you decide to use, my best advice it to implement whatever works for you and disregard the rest. I have used different components of all that I have listed. 

We did a major downsize this year, going from a 3,450 sq ft house to a 935 2 BR, 2 BA condo.  It has been pretty drastic but, overall, pretty good.  Our ds “launched,” as he graduated from college, and our condo is fine for just the two of us. Awfully cozy when we have company though!  Which, happens often now that we have moved to Florida!  Honestly, I think I would be happier with about 1,200-1,300 sq ft,  I am committed to this plan for five years, and we’ve been at it for almost the first one of those.  If and when ds marries and has children, I really would like more space. But, I will never go back to what we had before.  Prior to the 3,450 sq ft house, we had 4,300 sq ft!  Never again! 

I’m sorry you have had a difficult year.  😞  Here’s to a better one in 2019. 

Thank you. God has been very gracious to us even when things seemed so dark. Thanks for the suggestion on Becker. I’m about to look him up. I watched a few episodes of Tidying Up last night. I really like her philosophy so far.